Author Topic: looking for a "buffalo revolver"  (Read 19803 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
Re: looking for a "buffalo revolver"
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:44 AM »
I have the Buffalo in Brass.  It is the best shooting pistol I have!   I also have an 1860 Colt clone (both are pietta) and a few years ago, I bought the shoulder stock for the 1860.   A couple of months ago, I bought the hammer screw/nut that allows the remington to take a shoulder stock.   I was nervous at first, but with some judicious file work and sanding, the shoulder stock fits both quite well.   The buffalo with shoulder stock is phenominally accurate!   At 50 yards, it has a tighter group than my Henry rifle.   I never understood the worry in cas shooting for the carbine.   It would only take a guy once to put his hand in the front and he wouldn't do it again.  It is a very natural hold to put the off hand under the trigger hand, in my opinion.  I really wanted one of the Root rifles that Palmetto was making, unfortunately they only made the full length model.  I had the opportunity to handle one of the original Root Carbines, a more natural pointer I have not held until I put the shoulder stock on the Buffalo.   Taylors and Co. sell the hammer screw/nut and I got the shoulder stock from Dixie eons ago.

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 05:45:16 AM »
I have the Buffalo in Brass.  It is the best shooting pistol I have!   I also have an 1860 Colt clone (both are pietta) and a few years ago, I bought the shoulder stock for the 1860.   A couple of months ago, I bought the hammer screw/nut that allows the remington to take a shoulder stock.   I was nervous at first, but with some judicious file work and sanding, the shoulder stock fits both quite well.   The buffalo with shoulder stock is phenominally accurate!   At 50 yards, it has a tighter group than my Henry rifle.   I never understood the worry in cas shooting for the carbine.   It would only take a guy once to put his hand in the front and he wouldn't do it again.  It is a very natural hold to put the off hand under the trigger hand, in my opinion.  I really wanted one of the Root rifles that Palmetto was making, unfortunately they only made the full length model.  I had the opportunity to handle one of the original Root Carbines, a more natural pointer I have not held until I put the shoulder stock on the Buffalo.   Taylors and Co. sell the hammer screw/nut and I got the shoulder stock from Dixie eons ago.
There is a revolving carbine listed on gunroker, right now, with a "buy it now' of $350! http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144729140  If I had an extra $350 handy it would be mine!

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 05:46:14 AM »
There is an 1858 revolving carbine listed on gunroker, right now, with a "buy it now' of $350! http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144729140  If I had an extra $350 handy it would be mine!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:25:34 PM »

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 10:37:43 PM »
If I understand correctly it isn't legal to hunt deer with one, in my neck of the woods, but you are making me want one more and more

in mo. multiple barrled muzzleloading or cap & ball including revolvers 40 cal or larger
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »
If I understand correctly it isn't legal to hunt deer with one, in my neck of the woods, but you are making me want one more and more

in mo. multiple barrled muzzleloading or cap & ball including revolvers 40 cal or larger
Hey my brother has a farm with some wooded land in North central Wisconsin. Does anyone know if you can take deer with one, up there?

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 03:56:45 PM »
There is a revolving carbine listed on gunroker, right now, with a "buy it now' of $350! http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144729140  If I had an extra $350 handy it would be mine!
That auction closed without the carbine selling. Perhaps I will try to put together $3oo in case it comes up again.

Offline Deadguy

• Top Active Citizen
    • BP Stuff, LLC
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »
Hey my brother has a farm with some wooded land in North central Wisconsin. Does anyone know if you can take deer with one, up there?

Yes you can!  As long as you use it during regular firearm season (you cannot use it in muzzle loader season) and you use a projectile that weighs at least 138 grains.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Offline TwoSams

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 09:02:01 AM »
Delmar, did you find your steel frame Buffalo revolver?  There is one on auction right now.  Here is the site:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160257312

Good Luck!!

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
Delmar, did you find your steel frame Buffalo revolver?  There is one on auction right now.  Here is the site:

Good Luck!!
Wow, thanks! That one is a beauty, and i'll add it to my watch list, to see what it goes for, but my priorities have changed just a bit since I started this thread. I would like to own such a pistol, but I have decided I am getting into the CAS game and the coach gun and rifle are next on my buy when I can list.

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 02:07:20 AM »
Good Luck!!

Why did ya hav-ta post THAT !   Damn ! Now I gotta resist buyin' it !    And it is even a Pietta.  I didn't know Pietta had ever made steel frame long barrel pistols.  I already have my brass frame one that I put a long barrel on and is better for reenactment use as the brass frame looks good with all the brass on the shoulder stock.   

Damn . . . tooooo . . . . many great guns fur sale.   Gotta budget   :o   That is a NASTY word.   :-\
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 03:12:38 AM »
Good Luck!!

Sold for $ 300.    Nice pistol.   
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com