Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 1122314 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS
« Reply #5320 on: September 11, 2013, 11:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the invite, KT. Perhaps one of these days I'll be able to take you up on that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5321 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
KT made me a razor strop  ::)

Could ya put a warning label on the next one!   :-\   Scared the he!! out of my wife this mornin!! :D ;D :D

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5322 on: September 12, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »
Got my first Scorpion bite a few days ago, wow that huuuuuurrrrttt, I was putting things away in the shop and was moving some magazines when I felt this unbelievable pain in my middle finger on my right hand, I pulled my hand away at once and a Scorpion feel off onto my work bench, not knowing what to expect I went into the house and Told Tami I'd been bit, she had me sit down and hold my hand up with an ice pack on it, and I sat there for two hours, which was what was said to do, after the two hours I had no pain and it was like I was never bit at all, now a week later it is itching and all red, guess the ice slowed it down and now the healing is taking place, they say the scorpions here in the Northwest aren't as poison's as some other States, my brother in law was put in the hospital for three days with a bite in California, just one more experience for me in Oregon, so if any of you get bit here in Oregon just know you wont die from it, unless you have an allergic reaction, if you do I was told you would know right away, your tongue could swell and breathing could become hard...

Stay away from these critters

tEN wOLVES  :( :o :P :'( 
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #5323 on: Today at 06:53:42 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 283
« Reply #5323 on: September 12, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
Howdy TW,

Wow, that's quite a story and a horrible experience to got through. I'm glad to hear you are OK and will not have any lasting effect.

Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5324 on: September 12, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
I think a black widow got me,whatever it was hit me on the top arch of my foot and i had 8 more bites up my leg,i been spraying like crazy for them very very bad this year,what is weird is i always have socks on,the next thing i know i'm sick as a dog for about two weeks,there is still a small hole in the top of my foot trhat itches like crazy and it was about two months ago,maybe it got in my sock ???
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5325 on: September 12, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »
Hi,

I swam into a Portuguese Man O' War jellyfish ... should have died by all accounts. But that is another for another time ...

The gist of it was that all that treatment got me real interested in poisonous bites .... and there are only two types of poison ...

The first causes massive red blood cell bursting ... it has a very painful onset which a person usually lives through. The cause of death is several days (weeks) later as the rbc's cell walls and debris hit the kidney ...  sounds like what you had ,,, you might want to have a 'good' doctor do a renal efficiency just to be sure ...

The second type of 'poison' cases a massive making of cholinesterase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinesterase/) >in the blood stream.
This in turn 'dissolves' the cholinester, which sits between nerve cells and acts as a kind of neutralizer. The result is a rapid firing of all the muscles causing clonic and tonic spasms The end result is ascending seizures, and if the person has got enough of the poison within him, he dies of the spasms stopping his breathing of stopping his heart ...

You wife was right about immediate treatment ... where the poison is in an extremity, extreme cold (i.e. ice) can cause the poisons to break down rapidly .... but a day after the bite I would see a very good doc (this doesn't happen all the time ... he will probably have to reference books ...)
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5326 on: September 12, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
TW I am very glad to hear your alright. Sounds like it was  a little scary. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5327 on: September 12, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
KT,

If I had any sense, I SHOULD have been scared!! I was on a night surface swim in Key West (US Naval SCUBA School) ...

It was April ... the water was just below body temperature ... It sounds corny now, but I felt at one with the water ... I was side-stroking to the blues tune "Had To Cry Today" when I switched to a breast stroke to see if I was heading in the right direction ( we were homing in on an oil lantern on the beach ...

And then I got stung ... the Man O' War attached to my Mae West, and as I tried to swim away from it I got tangled up in it's tentacles ...

I was uncomfortable in the water, but the discomfort arose when I hit the beach and the air (salt water has a neutralizing effect on the acid (that is why one pisses on a Man O' War victim ... the salt in the urine will neutralize the acid I an told) .
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5328 on: September 12, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
Could ya put a warning label on the next one!   :-\   Scared the he!! out of my wife this mornin!! :D ;D :D

Looks a lot like that girl you dated in high school.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5329 on: September 12, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
Nah she had red hare,called them lop ears,baaaa haaa haaaaa
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5330 on: September 12, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
Bummer, TW. We have the little purple scorpions around here. They're scarce. What kind are up there? I didn't know there were any. When we had the property up there in Selma, no one mentioned them. Glad to hear you're OK.

On a lighter note, I slammed my finger in a safe door the other day. Had to drill a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure. I used a .020 torch tip re-sizing drill for it. I dipped it in alcohol first, of course. It's now just about done seeping. Tip for the day: keep your fingers out of the way.  ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5331 on: September 12, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
I used to pan for gold at a place called Sweet Water up north,scorps were under every rock and piece of wood,i cuaght a few and put them on ice to put in clear resin later but never figgered out how to do it.Found a dinosuar print too but it was in and ancient piece of rock,no way to get it out,looked like a small raptor,showed it to my cousin and he thought so too,the whole area was ancient rock forms the rock looked like a slab of mud that hardened over time.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #5332 on: September 13, 2013, 07:15:10 AM »
Hey TW, keep benadryl around as a just in case.  It helps as well.  I am allergic to most bites.  As I have gotten older, I am no longer a death in 15 minutes kind of reaction, but it is still not good.   I have been bit by a spider and a stung by a wasp this year.   I was sick for three days from spider (little stinker got me on top of my head!)   Wasp got me on the jaw, I was down for the better part of a weekend for it.   Be careful out there.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5333 on: September 13, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips, living in the mountains as I do now, I'm seeing all kinds of insects we didn't have in California, at least where I lived, and Mongo thanks for the tip on Benadryl, Tami was going to give me some, but I seemed ok after using the ice for two hours, I've been here in Oregon now for just over a year, and have seen maybe five scorpions in all, not sure what the difference is between the really killer ones and the ones here, but I'm thankful the ones here aren't the bad ones, I cant imagine how much more painful they might be, sorry about the finger Will, I almost did that myself the other day, and yes watch where you put your fingers, KT, thanks pal...

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5334 on: September 13, 2013, 12:19:31 PM »
Hi,

I used to volunteer Mon-Fri at Loaves and Fishes doing scut work in the kitchen ... and on weekends, I volunteered as a Docent with the Old Sacramento Living History ... (when I wasn't shooting SASS).

Then Janessa West, my 'boss' at OSLH mentioned if I would be interested in doing woodwork with the Sacramento Archives ... so I volunteer Tues/Thurs with them and M-W-F with Loaves and Fishes (today I am playing hooky ... and going to a going away party at the Archives).

I have been told that an autoharp is the easiest entry musical instrument to learn, but am very open to what I should start off with ... 'specially since I don't read music .... I would love to hear any thoughts  ... so PM me so that we don't clutter up  this thread ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline FiremanBrad

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5335 on: September 30, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
Did someone say Motorcycle??!!!  Howdy, Boys, I'm the new guy round here !  From central Mo, my hobby is collecting hobbies !  From bowhunting to my Harley to Civil War Reenacting and everything in between!!!

Here's my 03 Roadking! Me better half rides an 01 Fatboy

Another hobby that turned into a part time job, is we do European Skull Mounts, cleaned with Dermestid Beetles. We did over 70 skulls this yr!!  Here's a couple to show!

Offline FiremanBrad

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5336 on: September 30, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
And I saw some bows back a few pages?  Here's a takedown longbow I built a few yrs ago out of bubinga, hickory and walnut

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5337 on: October 01, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
Me Like-em~

I'll take that buffalo on ya got showin ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline FiremanBrad

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5338 on: October 01, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »
I have 5 more degreasing right now, cept they're smaller!!  That one was a big one , and the real deal, no fences!!!

Here's the canines of an African lion I did this summer!!!

Offline FiremanBrad

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5339 on: October 01, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »
Here's my Buffler I kilt back in 07, up on the Pine Ridge Res with the father in law, on the far left!

Hard work but worth it!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com