Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 1125454 times)

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2009, 06:37:31 AM »
Thanks Santee, and Happy Veterans Day to all the pards who have served or are serving. My prayers and thoughts go out to them.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 275
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2009, 06:44:28 AM »
I'll bet a lot of you Pard's have owned some pretty cool automobiles throughout the years.

Here is a picture of my first car. It is a 1953 Ford Victoria 2-door Hardtop with three on the column. I bought in in 1957 when I was 16 years old. It was bone stock when I bought it. I removed and added a few things to it. My mother actually found it for me on a used car lot near our home. My folks did not own a car back then, only a van for their business. They took it for a ride every Sunday morning. It was cool to see my Mother drive it. Sometimes she would rap off the pipes, by accident of course. I traded it in on a 1959 Black Chevy Impala Convertible. Sure wish I had those cars today!
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »
Howdy Johnny,

Wow...what a neat picture of the old Ford.  My first car (when I was in the service) was a 51 Merc 2 door hardtop.  However, my second car was in fact a 53 Ford Vic...just like yours...was powder blue in color.  Bought my first brand new car in 66...Ford Galaxie 500 with a 390, 4 spd. dual exhaust...fast son of a gun...but my fastest car was a 1970 Boss 302 Stang...canary yellow with the louvered rear window, rear deck spoiler, and shaker hood...oh how I wish I had that thing now...
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #183 on: Today at 01:46:39 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2009, 07:10:41 AM »
Howdy Outrider,

Do you have any pictures of your 51' Merc or 53' Ford? Several of my high school buddies had 1950 and 1951 Merc's. I had a 1969 Red Mustang GT Fast-back until my wife had our third child. Then I went into my station wagon period.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2009, 11:23:38 AM »
Howdy Gents

My first car was a 1951 Merc. 2 door coup, I got it used in 1960, when I was 15 years old, and worked on it a full year before I got my drivers lic. I had it painted a metallic blue/green, I did the inside in white tuck and roll Naugahyde, I lowered it in the front to show off the duel chrome Scavies  underneath, I painted the whole underneath white, I put some fake thin white walls on the tires , and had Baby Moon hub caps, the engine was a Flathead V 8, it had 12" steel pack mufflers which would wrap every time you shifted gear, I had this big round chrome steel ball on my gear shift knob that I had to hold up when in second gear, or it would fall into third all by its self. Great car , wish I still had it.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2009, 11:41:34 AM »
My first car was a 48  2 door chev. Got it in 57 when I was home on leave from the service. I was 17 and paid $75.00 dollors for it. Dont have picts. becaus cameras and horses wernt invented yet.  ;D KT

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »
Howdy Pards,
 First, Johnny, did you ever get a pattern for the saddle bags that you wanted to make? If so, do you have any pic's of your bags? That is something I want to try this winter, depending on how things turn out tomorrow.
Any body else out there made a set of saddle bags? I am looking for the single strap 1/2 circle flap style of bags. I am sorry that I don't have the proper name of the style, maybe WC will read this, his bags are the style I want. Now that I think about it, I think David Carrio makes that style, I will go to his site and look? I would be great full if I could get some help on these, for i am not sure what oz weight to use on the peice that is the sides and bottom?
 I would be very greatfull for any and all advice.
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Arizona Cattleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »
Just got a new DVD collection, "The Great Indian Wars - 1540-1890"  I'll let ya all know if it is worth it.  It looks like a pretty complete history of the Indian struggle.

AZ Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
Boy I sure enjoyed readin bout everyones first cars.  Always have appreciated classic autos.

Unfortunatly I got the urge to admit that my first car was an '85 Chevette.    :-[    She'd git over a hundred eventually, had a durable clutch, and would take a 90 degree left at 65mph.  Had alot a fun in that car though and she'd also run all week on $9 gas.

My number 2 was a '77 Malibu that I loved.  She was pale green which my pals nicknamed "ganged green".  Others called her the AaaaOooooGa mobile.  Never could figure why nobody liked her like I did.

-Josh   ;D

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »
Cool about the first cars. I love the pics of them. Thanks for sharing them, pards. Mine was a Black 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan. That thing went places I wouldn't go today in my 4x4 pickup. My dad gave it to me when I was 12. It had been wrecked and he told me if I wanted a car when I got my license I could put it together. That was the best thing he ever did for me. It took a while but by the time I was old enough, it was done and running fine. I learned a lot about cars from that.

Here's number 5. I bought that when I got out of the Army.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2009, 12:51:09 AM »
Those sure are some nifty cars and great stories from everyone. Several high school friends had 51' Merc's. My best friend had a 48' Chevy. It was built like a tank. I'd swear the fenders were made out of cast iron. I do remember an executive where I worked buying a brand new 1959 Red Porsche Coupe. We were not allowed to go even near it.

Ace,
Here is picture of some Saddlebags I made a few years ago. If this is what you are looking for, I'll be happy to send you a set of patterns.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2009, 10:24:24 AM »
My best friend had a 48' Chevy. It was built like a tank. I'd swear the fenders were made out of cast iron.
LOL, I had a '41 Plymouth Business Coupe about the same time as the Porsche. I drove it when the Porsche was in the shop. It had those cast iron fenders, too. A lady ran into me in a bank parking lot. Darn near took her bumper off and my right front fender only had a very tiny mark about an inch across. The dent in the left fender must have taken a heck of a hit, it was there when I got the car.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
Well it looks like a few of us were around to enjoy these old cars, I have great memories of these days, I searched all over yesterday for pictures, and can't find any of them, 36 years of living in the same home tends to make things get lost for a time, I'll keep looking though  ???, Johnny and Will nice pictures and thanks for not loosing them LOL

Johnny, your saddle bags look great, what kind of leather did you use, and what ounce ? I need to get going and make me a pair, they really look nice.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »
This is the only picture I have of the many cool cars I've owned.

This was a highway crusier! ;D  440, push button shift, factory air in a convertable?

Hope you all enjoy.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »
Howdy TW,
The bags pictured are from some 8-10 oz. pre-finished embossed leather that a customer gave to me. It is relatively soft leather and looks like Rhino or Elephant hide. I did make some bags out of unfinished cowhide from Tandy. The body and flap's were 8 oz. The gusset was was 4-5 oz.

Howdy Ned,
Very cool convertible. Looks like a Dodge Polara. What year is it? Bet you wish you still had it.

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Johnny, actually it's a 1967 Chrysler 300!

What a car, drove down the road at 100 like it was standing still. Power everything except windows?

And yes I really wish I still had it. :(

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2009, 02:32:43 PM »
Very nice ragtop, Ned. I'll bet it was a fun one. Those 300's were really smooth and almost eerie in how easy they were to drive. I knew a guy who collected the early ones with the square steering wheel. Cool cars. I'll bet we all wish we had one or more of those early cars of ours. I'd take any of the ones I had again.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »
Thanks Johnny, for that info.

Ned, nice wheels pard, my Dad swore by the Chrysler 300, and had a few, great cars with lots of muscle

tEN  " Still looking for my pictures " wOLVES   ;) :D ;D

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2009, 03:17:03 PM »
Johnny,

Unfortunately, I don't have any phots of any of those cars  drats...but just proir to buying the Boss 302 I had a 69 Mach I...and it was red...I didn't like the Mach because it did alot of wheel hopping...the Boss 302 had staggered and angled rear shocks which took care of the wheel hop problem...if I remember correctly I only had about 6,000 miles on the Mach before I traded it in on the Boss.

STATION WAGONS....ohhhh man  my favorite kind of car...just sold my Volvo S/W...served me well
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2009, 03:26:52 PM »
Johnny,
 thanks for showing me the saddle bags you made, they are AWESOME!!! Those are close to what I am looking for, I think I will have to just sit down and draw out a pair. I am kinda stuck in between a rock and a harrd spot! After making the Bling rig and the matching spur straps, I plan on making a pait of arm cuffs to match, so to keep everything unionaforum I think that the saddle bags will have to match?? My plans are to make the saddle bags to hang on my gun cart, to hold my other pistols, just in case I ever do get to go shoot??
Thanks for the offer!
ACE

My Father allways said I was a big Dreamer ;D A man with out dreams, is just a wandering soule ??? ??? When I quit dreaming, that will be the Day  I saddle up and ride into the sunset :) :)
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com