Author Topic: Thomas Jefferson Hueston, Deputy U.S. Marshal  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thomas Jefferson Hueston, Deputy U.S. Marshal
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:29:23 PM »

In late August 1893, Bill Dalton, Bill Doolin, George “Bitter Creek” Newcomb, Red Buck Weightman, Dynamite Dick Clifton, Tulsa Jack Blake and Roy “Arkansas Tom” Daugherty, members of the Dalton/Doolin gang were reported to be in Ingalls, a small town ten miles east of Stillwater in Payne County, Oklahoma Territory. On Friday, September 1, 1893, two covered wagons entered Ingalls. Concealed inside them was the ominous number of 13 Deputy U S Marshals; Thomas J. Hueston, Lafayette Shadley, Dick Speed, Ham Hueston (Tom’s brother), Henry Keller, George Cox, M. A. Iauson, H. A. Thompson, John Hixson, Jim Masterson (Bat’s brother), Doc Roberts, Ike Steel and Steve Burke. Seeing Bitter Creek Newcomb leading his horse down the street, Deputy Dick Speed opened the battle by wounding Newcomb. Deputy Speed was then shot and killed by Roy “Arkansas Tom” Daugherty. Daugherty then shot Deputy Thomas Hueston in the left side and bowels. Deputy Lafe Shadley was shot three times while trying to climb through a fence by either Daugherty or Bill Dalton or both. Daugherty was arrested that day but the rest of the gang escaped. Deputy Hueston died the next day on September 2nd. Deputy Shadley died the day after that on September 3rd.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com