Author Topic: Picture frame and poor  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Caprock Louis

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Picture frame and poor
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
Really enjoy the historical page here. 
Degree in History so guess that is what makes it so much fun.

Just a thought.  Two weeks ago my mother gave me a picture frame.  Very small wood and once had a mirror in it.  Well its 9 1/2 by 7.  It was brought in a covered wagon by my great great grandmother to Missouri from Tennessee sometime in 1850s ior 60s.  it is certainly no big deal to anyone besides me as it looks like nothing special at all and one would find in a garage sale.  However it has been kept in family now well over a centruy and a half.  It shows to me one very special thought.  People back then had very little and were so poor as they moved west.  The hardships they endured was astronomical.  Today we think it was exciting and romantic yet in those days they had a tremendous struggle to survive.  They cherished the very small items they had in developing this great country we today take for granted.

Caprock Louis lost somewhere deep in the heart of Texas

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Picture frame and poor
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »
My mother's family came to Utah in wagons and handcarts.  I still have a few "treasures" from them, mostly very small item that could be carried on the person or worn.  My daughter wears an "emerald" ring that belonged to my great grandmother.  The emerald is spinel, but the ring is forged 10 karat gold.

I also have a carved wooden spoon and a small knife that belonged to another pair of great grandparents.

I remember many more things from my younger days, but the grandchildren and great grandchildren are many and more than a few of them have no feeling for history and so much has been thrown or given away...likely lost forever.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com