Author Topic: James Warner Woolsey "A Lucky Striker" 1826-1885  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
James Warner Woolsey "A Lucky Striker" 1826-1885
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »

James Warner Woolsey grew up on the banks of the Hudson River. He helped with the family farm and orchard. It is obvious that he was well educated, although the extent of his schooling is not known. When gold was discovered in California in 1848 the 22 year old Warner, as he was called by the family, was probably bored with life on the farm and ready for an adventure.

On April 5, 1849 he went to Boston and embarked on the ship Areatus. [Maritime Heritage Project: Areatus (Bay State and California Mining Co. ), from Boston 4 APR 1849, 171 days to San Francisco 23 SEPT 1849. Built in 1839, measured 538 tons, was abandoned at sea "in sinking condition" a year later while returning from Singapore. Whooley, James, master143 in company.] . The trip was the beginning of a life long quest. It is likely that he went by ship to Panama, then by ship again to San Francisco. The journey by ship to Panama was fast, and it is known that he was in the gold fields very early. He took pride in calling himself a 49'er.

He was so successful with his first claim that in late 1849 he bought a new set of clothes, had his hair curled and had his likeness taken, holding an eight pound gold nugget. This photograph was a tin type taken by one of the first cameras in the country and was probably very expensive. He sent it back home to prove to the family in New York that his adventure was no folly. James was not however an overnight success who would pocket his gold and return to New York to stay. He remained in the gold fields determined to find bigger and better wealth.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com