Author Topic: Reload Information  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reload Information
« on: April 10, 2005, 02:18:19 PM »
Hi again Pards:

Another time again, I request your help.
I reload my 45 LC with an european smokeless powder, BA 9, (it´s a french type). I use a soft reloads, because I use them in my Uberty Cattleman  and in my R&D Coversion clylinder for my Sta. Bárbara Remington New Army model.
Well, when I shoot, they are always small grains of gunpowder that have not burned. I don´t know why.
I use Starline cases and Winchester primers. Before to reload, I clean always the cases, of course.

Excuse me if I make the grammar's wrong use.

Thanks for your help.

Spanish Marshal.
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Foothills Drifter

Re: Reload Information
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 03:10:57 PM »
Howdy......
I had the same problem a few years ago. I crimped the shell to the lead tighter and it solved my problem. I now use a LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE.  I would start with the tighter crimp with your die because it don't cost any money.
Your grammer is just fine  ;D

Good shootin......
Vern...  8)

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 03:42:22 PM »
You're using a slow buring powder.  I had the same proble using IMR4227.  Hand to clean the guts of the '66 after every shoot.  Unburt powder would fall out of my holsters.

I switch to Tightgroup and '66's inside's are clean and no more powder falling out of the holsters
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:12:25 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 10:45:38 PM »
I wish I knew more about the powder you are using, some powders burn clean in a higher pressure range than they do in a lower range.  Some powders burn dirty no matter what.  This ain't really that bad of a problem unless the cause the gun to malfunction.  Matt's loading CAS loads with the 4227 would most likely cause that sooner or later.  But the same 4227 in a Full power 44 mag load or in a full power 22 Hornet load will burn a lot cleaner, same powder, higher pressures.

Tightgroup was designed to burn clean and ignite well at lower pressures.  If the load shoots fine, is from lab tested data and is not causing the gun to malfunction I would not worry about it.  I would guess American Powders are hard to get and expensive when you can get them.

My favorite High Power rifle hunting load, bird load for a shotgun and game load for revolvor are all filthy loads.  But they do the job so well I don't care,  anything you do reloading often becomes a compramise.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:07:58 AM »
Thanks to everybody for your help and you interest.

Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com