Author Topic: Norinco generation  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Norinco generation
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:51:09 PM »
Hi again:
I´ve read recently about third, or four generation of Norinco model 97. I would like to know the differences between these models.
I have one 97, its serial number is 0303546. Its wooden is dark brown color, more or less. I don´t know how more information could give you.

Thanks for your interest.

Hasta pronto.
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
Re: Norinco generation
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 10:23:01 AM »
I would guess that you have a "5th generation" model which should be a pretty good gun.

This is old info from Coyote Cap (From November, 2004):

Norinco Generations

Knowing what generation of Chinese built shotgun can be frustrating to say the least.

As I see it, there are only three or four people that can actually tell what generation you may have by the serial numbers. These people are the Shandong #1 plant manager, (Mr. Goa), the plant production supervisor, (Mr. Wang) and myself, and maybe the new plant owner, (Mr. Menn).

The reason I state this is because when I sent in recommended changes to a preceeding "batch" (or shipment of 1,600 shotguns to Interstate Arms), in an effort to improve the quality and reliablity of these shotguns for Interstate Arms Corp; the changes were made sometimes right in the middle of production, and therefore, one would have to know the serial number of the first gun in those major generational changes.

The only other way is to tear a whole lot of them apart in a warranty repair program, where the serial numbers are written down and logged into the B.A.T.F. in and out log book, and you have a stack of warranty and action job tickets which you can use to compare, to see almost exactly when those major changes became reality.

It is pretty obvious when you work on a lot of them, and you know just what to look for.

Having said that, there is a general (incorrect) assumption that the generational changes can be figured out by the (3) starting numbers of each serial number.

(example): 998XXXX (1998/1999), 000XXXX (2000), 010XXXX (2001), 020XXXX (2002), 030XXXX (2003) and 040XXXX (2004). All these numbers tell you is what year the frame was cast, milled and serial numbered.

A 1st and 2nd. generation, yes, but subsequent generational changes were so numerous, that they were lumped together right in the middle of production, and this started in 2001 with serial numbers starting 010XXXX (7 digits), and continued until 0103200 (approx) as the 3rd. generation of modifications and improvements.

The 4th generation started just after those numbers and included (among other things) a major change to American Walnut stocks from Missouri.

So, if you have a serial number in the 0104500 range, it will have pretty nice walnut stocks, an upgraded carrier (at the cam pivot circle), an improved left extractor and a narrower, lightened firing pin (to prevent breakage from dry firing).

The 5th generation is far easier to identify because the pistol grip on the walnut buttstocks was changed to the (E) model flat (not rounded) design of the original (E) model Winchester 97.

Also, all "Trench Guns" are of the 5th generation and are actually pretty good guns, as the metallurgical tolerances were much more closely watched, and also, these guns had some more internal changes, to include another change to the firing pin, (to make it safer), and upgrade to the ejector, right extractor and an improved and much lighter and thinner mainspring.
Now we get into the new stuff that I took over to china last year. These improvements are:

1. a new .028 ejector (rockwell tested)

2. a new firing pin with an additional weight reduction cut-out (above the retaining pin) and new rebound spring.

3. a new mag tube spring and follower

4. a new and longer,(more threads) slide end cap and modified forearm wood to fit the new cap.

5. a re-designed carrier, at the "S" cam area on the left side of the carrier.

6. a re-designed bolt, at the point where the change to the carrier would hit the bolt (this has been milled away).

7. a new hammer design at the thumb spur.

8. a new fully adjustable mainspring.

These changes all constitute a 6th generation with serial numbers above 0306500 and these shotguns are of the I.A.C./S.D.-1 Import and they came in 20" (cyl. bore constriction) and 26" (modified constriction) barrel lengths and "standard" grade American Walnut stocks.

Then there are the "Special Edition" (WCSE models) and they have all the upgrades and then some extra "special" items.

Those items are shown clearly on the I.P.B. (Illustrated Parts Brakedown) that comes with each firearm.

I hope this clears up some of the mystery of the generational changes of the model 97's.

Respectfully submitted !

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Norinco generation
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:09:44 AM »
Thanks Marauder for your information.

Sincerely
                 Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"