Author Topic: Cheap Cowboy Hat  (Read 43307 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Cheap Cowboy Hat
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
Good pictures Pancho, I see a lot of diversity there, as I said before hats are very personal and what works for one does not work for others, heck if we all wore the same type hat we'd be no better than the CMT crowd. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »
Del: Once again, the original question referred to ubiquity and economy - not individuality. Think, "what has a broad range of use and is cheap"?

I recognize if not defer to your extensive experience past and present. Quite honestly I do value your information and often look forward to your posts, my only criticism of you (and it is not relevant to this topic) is your past tendency towards pontification without footnotes. I like to know how you know otherwise how do I know you know? I'm sure you have them, use them.

But regarding this topic, the humor of this confrontation has waned, rancor is raising its head, so the rhetorical repartee ends now.

You have the last word my friend.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline DarbyFett

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »
What are you thoughts on this hat?

http://riverjunction.com/catalog/hats/scout.html

I was going to get wool, but you mention wool softening when wet. But the 10x would eat up most of my gift certificate.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:56:49 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 01:02:32 AM »
Nice looking hat, the fur blend should last most folks for years, wools generally don't. 

I've got a 4X Rodeo King thats 13 years old, been worn hard, been through rain, hail and snow, 100+ temps, still ain't in bad shape, was worn almost daily for 6-7 years.  I am lucky to get a year out of a wool wearing it like that, even if I keep out of the rain.

Should take a picture of it, needs a good cleaning and reblocked, sweat band is a bit loose, needs a bit of resewing.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 06:58:53 AM »
What are you thoughts on this hat?

http://riverjunction.com/catalog/hats/scout.html

I was going to get wool, but you mention wool softening when wet. But the 10x would eat up most of my gift certificate.

Darby,

Wool hats are more economic, but no great long term investements.  They will soften and shrink if worn in the rain.  Also, in my experience they tend to shrink slightly over time.

Beaver felt is much more durable and handles moisture much better.

If you buy the wool hat and you plan to stay in cowboy action shooting for some time, very likely you will be headed back to the store at some point to replace the wool with a felt hat.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »
Texas Jacks in Fredricksburg has the same looking hat in Sand for 77.95. I ordered one and it should here this week. It should be along the lines of the Boss of the Plains. I don't plan on wearing it, other than NCOWS. so it should last a long time.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »
Darby,

Beaver felt is much more durable and handles moisture much better.

Any hat that is made of rabbit, hare or nutria fur is good, it will hold up in rain fairly well.  Few hats under $300-400 contain any real amount of beaver fur.

Also on of the most common ways folks ruin hats is to leave them locked in a vehicle in the sun in the summer.  The high heat softens the shellac and they take on weird shapes, depending on how they are tossed on the dash or seats.  This is especially bad with wool felts since it takes a lot  more stiffener to hold their shape.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:44 AM »
I've heard of rabbits, hares, beavers, buffalos, lions & tigers & bears (oh my!) but what is a nutria?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »
A rat with serious aquatic skills...

They're most common in the South - you see them around canals and marshes and such.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »
Thanks!

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »
I've heard of rabbits, hares, beavers, buffalos, lions & tigers & bears (oh my!) but what is a nutria?

It's related to the jackalope, but usually found further east (true jackalope ranges being in the far west and southwest).

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »
Both Jackalopes and snipes are native to my part of the country (Texas). Hmmm. Maybe I should look for a snipe fur hat...

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »
Kevin, You're a fast learner!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »
http://www.nutria.com/site.php

Nutria fur is better than rabbit or hare, but not as good as beaver for hats, also in the past mink and muskrat were used and still may be to some extent, if one could really find out what this "fur blend" hat you are buying is.  Not easy always, to drag it out of the makers. Notice the good fur is from aquatic animals, as I explain to folks when I'm steering them away from a wool felt, "ever seen a wet sheep?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2009, 09:32:36 AM »
Both Jackalopes and snipes are native to my part of the country (Texas). Hmmm. Maybe I should look for a snipe fur hat...

Allegedly, snipes are common in my neck 'o the woods, as well (Tennessee).  However, I spent a long night on a hill during a boy scout camporee many years ago without so much as a glimpse of a snipe.  Unfortunately, one of our hunting party disappeared that night  and it's rumored that he's still in a holler somewhere, waiting for his snipe.

/threadjack
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
JD, That's a good possibility. Some folks say, "If there hadn't been a Tennessee, There wouldn't have been a Texas".  Tenn. and UT both have orange and white as school colors! Co-Incidence?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
JD, That's a good possibility. Some folks say, "If there hadn't been a Tennessee, There wouldn't have been a Texas".  Tenn. and UT both have orange and white as school colors! Co-Incidence?

T for Texas, T for Tennessee!

During my visit to the Alamo, I was proud to see many of my native brothers remembered there.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 09:48:24 AM »
In order to partially make up for derailing this fine thread, which contains a lot of good info, I thought I'd throw out another possibility for inexpensive lids:

http://www.blockaderunner.com/

Although their period wear is the War Between the States, they have some straws and felts that would pass muster as authentic western wear.  Check out the hat page.  I've been to their store, which is near Wartrace, where my club shoots, and the hats look fine for budget clothing.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
I like the straws they have, real straw hats are hard to find, although palm leafs are period.

All the felts are wool only and most are in my opinion a bit high for a wool felt in price.  The ones they have for in the $30-35 range are Bailey brand and very low quality. 

But at least they have stuff that is different, and it will work as long as you wear them just once in a while and avoid any rain.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »
It's related to the jackalope, but usually found further east (true jackalope ranges being in the far west and southwest).

JD, Jackalopes are what us no goods down south of the Medicine Line make hats out of we try to sell in Tejas. ::) ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com