Author Topic: Looking to buy an 1892 replica, trouble deciding  (Read 16138 times)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Looking to buy an 1892 replica, trouble deciding
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »
10-4 will do,thanks..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Three Fingered Fred

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
Take a look at the stainless '92 45LC short rifle from EMF.  If you get it thru Steve Young for a little more $$ you get a action job.  The only thing that's faster is a STROKED '73, and then not by much.  I have one and can't imagine shooting anything else.
I am noboby, nobody's perfect--therefore I am perfect.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:12 AM »
I highly recommend Steve as a gunsmith. He specializes in Rossi 92s. I took my 92 to him and he smoothed the action and cured the feeding problems. It is a 357 model. Those rifles prefer 357 ammo to 38s. They like the longer cases. I only shoot 357s in mine.  Steve's shop is in Port Arthur, Texas.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:05:24 PM »

Offline Professor Honeyfuggler

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »
It is a 357 model. Those rifles prefer 357 ammo to 38s. They like the longer cases. I only shoot 357s in mine. 

I mentioned it elsewhere, but it bears repeating... a cheaper alternative if you handload is to load .38 special brass but seat the bullet higher than factory loads so the overall cartridge length is longer, and pay attention to the bullet shape. Conical work best, and round nose FP second best. They are about 1/8" shorter than .357, but about 1/8" longer than typical .38 factory loads. Long enough to handle the longer gate geometry of the .357 models well. And you still get the full 10 round magazine capacity on a 20" barrel without having to modify anything.

The only two .38 Spec. factory loads I've found that work as well in the .357 92' I've got are MagTech Round Nose and Black Hills, both of which have longer bullets than average and seat the bullets high in the brass. 

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 11:19:43 AM »
As stated in another thread, I had the opportunity over the weekend to visit with the folks from Taylor's at a gunshow. While there, I checked out their version of the '92 made by Chiappa. It had nice walnut and a very nice looking case colored receiver. It definitely outclasses the Puma but then again, it's a lot more money. Take your pick.

My wife and I ended up purchasing that '92 Winchester Replica from Taylor's at the show, it was $915 which was still far less than what original 1892 would cost and it is in .45 Colt which the original '92s were never chambered in.  While there my wife talked me (I'm not making this up!) into buying a Richards 1860 Colt conversion replica in .45 Colt with the 8" barrel.  An expensive day, but a good day and I like the fact that Taylor's and Company comes to the show and is ironically located in Winchester, Virginia.  I cleaned both guns to get the proof testing fouling out of them and checked them out mechanically.  The Armi-Sport Winchester '92 is superb, in fact I will go so far as to say they are far superior to the original Winchester's of yesteryear.  The replica Colt too was also top notch, except you have to be skilled in getting the barrel wedge in just right for the gun to index again.  Taylor's is going to fix some slight over indexing the cylinder has when loading and unloading the gun free of charge when I go up to see them in the next few weeks.  Like anything, you pretty much get what you pay for.  As to the Rossi's 1892s, they look like they were carved out of soap to me compared to the Italian made version.

Offline Tom Bullweed

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 09:46:23 PM »
I started with an older Rossi '92 in .357.  I served me well for four years once I figured out that it preferred .357's in RNFP.

I picked up an original in .32 WCF for less than a new 1866 or Marlin Cowboy.  The 1892 was designed to fire bottleneck cartridges.  I could outrun my Rossi and stovepipe rounds.  I have not been able to outrun the original.  It also shoots to the sight with tiny 1/2" groups at 40 yards.  The rounds are a bit tougher to load than .357 but not excessively harder.

Offline gglass

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 07:30:15 AM »
I can attest to the accuracy of the Rossi 92 Puma's. I have a scoped .44 Magnum version, which was purchased for hunting deer, and have found it to be as accurate as they come.

My scoped Rossi 92 Puma

10-Shot grouping at 50-yards. (Yes, I was aiming for the heart.)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:26 AM »
Before you buy one please go to a match and see if you can find one to shoot and check out the competition in rifles as well.  If cost is what is making you choose the '92 check out the Marlins.  You can get a much more trouble free gun with less work on a Marlin than you can a '92.  There are exceptions but by and large the '92, even when tuned by the best, are fairly unreliable and very OAL sensitive.

People tried to warn me before I bought mine and I wouldn't listen.  Even after shipping it back to a very popular '92 smith several times it had problems.

Mizz Cammie has given you some great advise, I have both the Rossi and the Marlin, the Marlin is twice the gun hands down.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Chance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27:30 AM »
Fit and finish wise the Rossi does not come close to the Armi Sport '92. The Italian action is also a true copy of the original Winchester whereas the Rossi is not. My AS short rifle in .44/40 is smoother out of the box that several "slicked" Rossi's used by friends.

Chance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com