Author Topic: Pleasant Surprise  (Read 4984 times)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pleasant Surprise
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »
Went to a gunshow today and what do I find as soon as I walk through the door, the folks from Taylor's. They had a table displaying all their goodies. First time I was able to handle a Smokewagon. I also loved their Model 92 replica with case hardened frame. Nice guns and nice folks.I hope they come back.

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
Re: Pleasant Surprise
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, Didja buy anything?????
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
Came reallllllll close.Almost bought a Smokewagon. Actually, I am in a quandry as to what I want next. Over the years (and there have been some,... years that is) I have acquired one first generation, one second generation and two or three third generation Colts. In addition, I have about 15 clones of one variety or another, including one USFA-Turnbull Cowboy Classic. Gun addiction is not unlike other addictions in that one sometimes goes on binges. Recently, it has been a Ruger binge, Vaquero, New Vaquero and two Blackhawks. At this point, I don't know whether to spring for another Colt or go the clone route again. In the latter category candidates are, USFA Rodeo II, Smokewagon and EMF Great Western. Then again, Cimarron is now having some of their Model P's finished by Turnbull. And another New Vaquero stainless with shorter barrel than my 7 1/2in .45 would be nice. I'm not trying to gun-drop here. Nowhere did I say I could actually afford all this wretched excess but I am approaching the fixed income years so some of this is panic buying, I'm sure. My only consolation is that unlike some of you pardners, I don't buy them two at a time.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:39:31 AM »

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »
Well, Old Doc...  I recently bought a Cimarron Model P with 5.5 inch barrel in caliber 38-40.  Beautiful color case hardening, and it has the black powder type frame too.  Good shooter too.  Well worth the price.  Now I'm thinking about buying a 4.75 inch in caliber 44- 40.  I sometimes shoot a 7.5 inch clone in 44-40 and the gun I got to mate up with it is a 3 inch Sheriff's model in 44-40, but anyone who has ever shot a 3 incher knows it is very difficult to shoot acurately.  It just might be easier to shoot a 4.75 with these old eyes.   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »
Tell me, Bear Claw, is yours a standard Model P or one with the Turnbull case hardening and what is the out of the box action like on the Model P?

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:35:47 AM »
Doc,  the color case hardening is so beautiful I can only assume it is Turnbull's work.  There was nothing that came with the gun that says whether it is or isn't.  The action can only be described as crisp but better than  most out-of-the-box actions out there.  I've only put about 100 rounds through it so far.  I can only assume it will improve with use.  I got no complaints about the gun.   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »
If you bought it new, it's about $200 plus more dollars then a standard Model P according to their website. If you bought it used and it has Turnbull colors, you may have gotten lucky as the seller may have just checked a price guide for a standard Cimarron Model P. I don't think. however that Cimarron has been offering the Turnbull colors until recently. EMF used to do it on their GW II Custom model but when you call them now to inquire about that Model, EMF acts like it is no longer available.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:12:16 AM »
Doc, I just checked my Firearms Journal and I ordered it back in June of '08.  I waited until September of that year to get it.  I paid $460 for it, so maybe it isn't Turnbull CC but it is still really purty and I'm happy with the gun in general and I guess that's all that matters.   8)

Offline ColtonWhite

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »
Are gun shows a legit place to purchase CAS guns...ive always had the impression that its safer to buy from a dealer with a fixed location...

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 04:49:48 AM »
Around here (Florida gun shows) most sellers are dealers with a fixed location some where
Gun Shows are sorta like Auto tent sales.
There are a number of private dealers but most are either web dealers that use Gunbroker too or a familiar face from other shows.
These shows tend to weed out any seedy sellers, in short order.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com