Author Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.  (Read 88228 times)

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »
Good morning/afternoon, Gents.  I've been readin' up on your mechanical adventures, and reminiscing on some of my own.  I have been wrenchin' and hammerin' on stuff since I was a tad, sort of seem to have come by it natcherly, somehow.  It has to have been passed in my genes, but it skipped a generation, and must be selective; my Dad, and my Li'l Bro didn't/don't have it.

I never had much care for "Crashler" products, although I did own a couple, and used a lot of them at work; I gotta say that for the most part, they were tough; we beat the he&* out of the stuff at work, and it seldom failed us; it might limp a lot, but it usually kept going enough to get back to town.  I had a '69 Dodge A100 short wheelbase van for a couple of years, and it was always presenting me with one puzzle or challenge, or another, and I took it as a real pain in the a&*.  I sold it to qualify to buy our first house, and thought good riddance.  Actually, though, the Mopar performance cars of the sixties and early seventies were exciting and imperssive machines.  The parking lot where I was based looked like a local downtown car show of today, with a number of Mopars, GMs, and Fords of the Muscle Car persuasion; I had a '68 Chevelle SS396 that ran 12 second quarters at OCIR and Lyons and Irwindale; it was our first "family" car - we bought it when my Bride was too pregnant to climb into our 4x4, or squeeze into the hot rod, and we needed a real "car" for the expected youngster.  So both of our boys came home from the hospital in a race car, and later, they learned to drive in modified 4x4s and performance oriented cars; even our first station wagon, a '70 Chevy Kingswood Estate,  had an early "shelf built" 383 Mouse Motor in it in 1973.  A neighbor had a '72 impala with a 400 in it that sucked a valve and boogered the block, but the crank was good, so I gave him a few bucks toward a new engine, and took the old crank off his hands; I picked up a nearly new '73 350 block from another buddy, and voila: a 383.  It was a runner, too.  Back then, 383 Chevys were not a real hot thing, yet; today, ervery Tom, Dick, and Harry seems to have one.  Nowadays, I have a '59 Chevy pickup that is in the process of being "resto-rodded", and my "daily" is a '02 Toyota Tundra 4x4 that is looking for a new suspension system in the future - funds available, of course.

On two wheels, my fist ride was an Ariel 500 single that belonged to a Navy buddy - I called it a leg buster.  He let me ride it most any time I wanted, and it was a pretty good starting platform.  I picked up a '59 Triumph 500 Twin for my very own first ride - actually my only own bike; I had three wrecks on that thing - wild youth and immortality, ya' know - and decided maybe I ought not to do that anymore.  I sold it broken after the last mishap, and only rode the occasional odd bike after that.  Had a friend who was a mech for a Honda/Yamaha dealer, and I got to ride one of their bikes from time to time.   But my Bride is dead set against me being on only two wheels, so I restrain myself just to keep the domestic tranquility intact.  That must be why I always drive with my windows open and the wind in my face.  ;) ;D
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »
Hairy, have ya ever seen an Ariel Square Four?  That was a cool bike.
I had the opposite problem as you when I sold my last one...the wife cried her eyes out.  Good thing we had the guns ta fall back on for fun.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
Buck, I hope you have better luck with the delivery folks than I have. I've got 2 revolvers and a 30/40 Krag floating around somewhere. The Krag is lost and the Post Office is doing a trace on it. It is supposed to have been insured. The 2 revolvers were mailed from Florida on the 21st and have not surfaced yet.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #163 on: Today at 07:34:21 PM »

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2009, 03:05:41 AM »
Oh, yeah!!  I rode an Ariel Square Four from San Diego to L.A. for a guy; that was a sweet bike, smooth compared to my Trumpet. He was broken, and wanted to get his bike to his folks place, so I volunteered, then caught a ride back to S.D. on the P-pad of my buddy's Beeser.  Man, that was a rough ride; two 180 pounders on a BSA 500 twin.  I walked funny for a couple of days after that.  One day in the late seventies, I was coming out of the bank and heard a familiar but strange sound; you know, the kind of thing that you know what it is but can't get it to focus?  Well, all at once it came to me, and I started looking for it; sure enough, a guy went riding by on a Square Four.  It was restored, and the red and silver paint was perfect; along with the sound of those four cylinders humming through straight pipes.  Neat.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2009, 01:35:49 PM »
There is a rich history bahind those Beezers.  BSA stands for Birmingham Small Arms and had been in business under that name for over 200 years.  A gun maker gone biker, seems fitting.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »
Leo, I remember seeing a lot of BSAs and Triumphs back in the 60s. I was really a car guy back then. I really didn't get into bikes till I saw "Easy Rider",
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2009, 08:59:42 PM »
Leo, I remember seeing a lot of BSAs and Triumphs back in the 60s. I was really a car guy back then. I really didn't get into bikes till I saw "Easy Rider",

That movie got a lot of people into it.  Most of em missed the point.  It wasn't meant to glorify a lifestyle it was meant to show stupidity.  Everywhere Captain America an Billy went they met rooted folks an they just kept cruisin along.  Dennis Hopper still beats his head against the wall over that movie an Peter won't even talk about it.

Roland Deschain

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2009, 06:57:11 AM »
Wonder what Jack thinks about it?  "Nick Nick Nick Nick....AHHhhhh!"   ;D

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »
I would not think that Dennis remembered much about it, considering the amount of dope he injested during that time period. Pete is sorta like the Carradine boys, STRANGE!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2009, 02:44:27 PM »
It was supposed ta be full of all sorts of symbolism but most who saw it just thought "Wow, cool bikes".  They spent all that time trying ta get ta Mardi Gras an wasted all there time there on a bad acid trip.  Then they died.  The end.

Roland Deschain

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
Easy Rider was released in 1969,  first year I was in college,  I was takin a class where our assignment was to go see it and set through it a few times and then we disscussed it.,  the teacher was sure it would be a cult classic

Well

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid came out that summer too,  now  I really enjoyed it and was more impressed with it, but the teacher never did see it that way.   ;D  I guess it's just all in your tastes

used to be a lot of pretty good movies back then.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2009, 04:04:54 PM »
Most of them had perty good sound tracks back then.  They used current music instead of studio orchesrtra stuff. 
Gotta agree with you, Newman an Redford made a much better team than Hopper an Fonda.

Oh dear, this thread is beginnin ta drift ::)

Roland Deschain

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
well it ain't drifted too far,  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid had steam trains and bicycles.  ;D   and Dennis Hopper was in True Grit and I think there was train in it   :o ::)
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »
OH SH  !  Raindrops keep fallin' my head!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2009, 07:51:58 PM »
I was just gonna post a big thanks ta OT fer gettin that song stuck in ma head.  An here you come an say it first. 

Cryin's not for me, no...

Well at least I'm free.  Nothing's bothering me.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
Leo, Here's hopin' it stays there for a long time!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
Weren't that Burt that did that one?  Bacharach er somethin like that.  I just remember Paul ridin that bike around with the gal on the handlebars.

Leo, Here's hopin' it stays there for a long time!

Thanks.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2009, 05:46:40 AM »
Yep, I was a junior in College in 69. We saw Butch and Sundance at the Multiscreen in Guymon Oklahoma. Ol' Paul riding the bicycle with Katherine Ross on the handlebars. The Western movies, for the most part, were getting fewer in number and quality.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
Kanza Kurt sent me this, wonder if they make a new version for a F-150, may need one soon.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2010, 06:12:06 PM »
Wonder why it didn't catch on? ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com