Author Topic: Filler with clays  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Ghost Rider

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Filler with clays
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:50:01 PM »
Does anybody who uses clays, use a case filler?
The "Ghost Rider" in the Sky

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Filler with clays
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 09:37:05 AM »
There have been multiple threads on the SASSwire about this very topic. It makes for interesting reading if you want to go find some of them. Here is the abridged version:

Coyote Cap released load data that consists of:

1. .45 long colt case
2. Federal Primer
3. a small amount of Clays powder
4. Quaker Quick Grits to the bell (bottom of the flare) in other words almost to the top
5. 200 grain lead round nose flat point bullet

On the SASSwire, many will praise this load saying:

"This load results in great accuracy, a clean gun, clean brass, cool brass."

Others will denounce it:

"This load is unsafe, untested, uncowboy, unpublished, sure to damage your gun and kill innocent bystanders, a liability risk, etc."

I confess, I use the load and love it. I haven't found anything better. I tried it in desperation because the 92 rifle I was using at the time had such an oversized chamber that even heavy loads of Unique and a 250 grain bullet didn't seal, resulting in blowback. This made the gun so dirty (with carbon) that after 6 stages it wouldn't cycle reliably. Cap's "Clays and Grits" load fixed this problem I never had to clean the gun. The brass really does eject cool to the touch and clean.

You will occasionally find a fine dusty powder residue at the end of the barrel. Not a problem for me. This load can smell funny. This load does require an extra step in loading (putting the grits in). For that reason I have tried other loads including Clays in a Schoefield case. The results have not been satisfactory yet. I'm going to try the new "Trail Boss" powder when it comes around to see if it will work. Until then, I'll keep using the grits load unless it is banned.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 07:49:47 PM »
Ross Sigfried of Handloader and Rifle magazize recomend the poyester/dacron pillow fluff for loads needing fillers.  Nothing against anyone, but he seems to me to be the smartest on such stuff that I've ever read anything about. 

He won't use anything else with the English NE rounds, they use Reloader 15 on a 1 to 1.33 ratio by weight cordite to Reloader 15 and use the dacron filler to make it ignite reliably. 

Any man that can make NE doubles regulate right is good in my book.

Just some thoughts.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:19:59 PM »

Offline Ghost Rider

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:23:03 PM »
Whats a small amount of Clays. I was thinken of using 4.9 of clays with 200 gr round nose bullet and a winchester primer. I was gonna fill to the bell with corn meal. What cha think?
Ghost
The "Ghost Rider" in the Sky

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:29:23 PM »
Me, myself I'm a coward, but since it believe it was White's Labratory tested and came to the conclusion that the dacron don't raise pressures or cause pressure spikes, it's the only filler I use when I feel I need it in smokeless.    Never seen any testing on black powder, but I would use black powder as a filler.  Just thoughts from a coward who has seen what mistakes will do to a gun, but one that hass all fingers and no pock marks in his face.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
You might head over to the SASS wire and do a search for "Coyote Cap Grits" to see if you can find his "published" data.

Disclaimer: Don't take load data from me. I make no claims as to the suitablility of any load for any purpose.

I use Coyote Caps load as he published it on the wire a long time ago which is less than the amount of powder that you have listed. If you promise to not hold me liable I'll tell you what I load which is Coyote Cap's load as he published it on the Wire some time ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com