Author Topic: expanded years  (Read 5992 times)

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: expanded years
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »
Few things I've done have been more satisfying than taking that poor butchered Krag (Monte Carlo Stock) and returning it to its Milspec origins.   

THere's a gunshop just up the road a ways with a Krag sporter sitting in the rack.  M1898 cut to 24", stock cut just in front of the barrel band.  $425 asking price, and all you'ld need to make an acceptable Milspec carbine out of it is add a hand guard.  You could always have a good smith cut 2 more inches off the barrel later.  I'd much rather see some of these on the line than a pristine collector piece.  I'd like to pick up something like this someday and make a Phillipine constabulary carbine.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »
This issue seems to come up about once a year.  I and the GAF staff have discussed this issue several times and we are all in agreement - the GAF will stick with its mission statement, which is as follows:

"The Goal and Mission of the Grand Army of the Frontier is to honor the memories and achievements of the late Victorian-era military of all nations between 1858 and 1904, with a particular emphasis on American army on the Western Frontier between 1860 and 1900, though the pursuit and sharing of knowledge, and by actively participating in the hobbies of Cowboy Action Shooting, historical reenacting, living history programs, skirmishing, social events, and other activities while wearing appropriate military attire."

GAF shooting competitions are designed for late Victorian-era cartridge arms, roughly equivilent to the black-powder cartridge time period.  The Grand Muster was developed to allow the use of these firearms which are not allowed in SASS or NCOWS.  With the single exception of the popular Wild Bunch style match, the GAF does not sanction the use of post-Victorian era military firearms in its matches. 

We know that some of these firearms are difficult to find in shootable condition and are also extremely expensive.  We know that reasonably priced reproductions of some of these firearms are not available, but they are available for other firearms the GAF allows.  Because other permitted arms are available, the GAF will not make any exceptions to the rules.   

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
Maybe I don't understand the collector mind, but I guess I figure everything I have is a shooter.  Unless it's basically mint, I don't see where regular use is going to hurt it, as long as you don't abuse it by loading it too heavy.  As a long-time collector friend of mine always says, "Save it for what?".  As far as that goes, my Krag is probably a $1,000-1200 rifle, but then so are my AR-15's.  I'm not saving them because they're valuable.  I'm going to shoot them because that's what they're for.  Just my opinion, and to each is own.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:18:18 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 12:47:44 PM »
Sgt. Drydock, I sent you a PM about that Krag in the gunshop.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 12:59:47 PM »
I have to agree with Ned. Besides several of the repro's in my safe cost as much as or more than the originals in there.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »
I have to agree with ya all. The time period should stand as written. The only milspec US weapon I own is a 1903, and yes, I would love to shoot it, but its not the game we play.
The rules were written so that anybody shooting CAS can shoot GAF. I am going to have to shoot my CAS guns, until I find a Krag, or Trapdoor. I am a cheap person, so it could be a long time, but it may very well be next week.

BTW, my 1903 was picked up at an auction for 300 and change, and has been drilled and tapped for a scope. Also has a Buehler safety, and a reworked bolt handle. BUT, the stock is original other than the relief cut in it for the bolt. So far, it has been very gratifying putting it back into original configuration. Cant wait to find a sporter Krag somewhere.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »
By the way, our local shop has a couple of Krag infantry rifles in full military configuration, also a pretty well butchered version that would maybe be alright to build into a carbine.  Love those Krags!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Hunter

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 05:27:57 PM »
Maybe with enough prodding by people like us, Pedersoli will make another run of Krag rifles? The ones I handled mfg'd by them were well made, albeit somewhat beefier than the originals in both weight and barrel contour. The sights weren't exact either, but I guess we have to be reasonable about these things. I think the reason for the larger dimesnions is because they use investment castings rather than forgings to produce their receivers and the heavier barrel might have been a just because thing, I don't know. All in all I was impressed with their quality and I wish they would bring them back. They made both a rifle and a carbine version in 1998 to commemorate the 100th ann. of the Spanish/American War.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 05:43:49 PM »
One note on "sporterized Krags or Springfields, if the work appears to be of high quailty, check in deeper, if it's one that was reworked years ago by Sedgley or Griffin and Howe it is worth more to the right collector than a mint original Krag or Springfield. 

Just something to watch for, they are out there and do pop up from time to time.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com