Author Topic: Cartridge Too Hot?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline wingmaster

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cartridge Too Hot?
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:49:42 PM »
I just purchased a new Uberti 1873 Deluxe Long Range 30" in 45LC (too beautiful a rifle to pass up). I do not have any experience with lever action weapons. I have some Winchester 45LC 225gr Silvertip HP Personal Protection ammo. Is the ammo too hot for the receiver?  Thanks.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Re: Cartridge Too Hot?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:18:21 AM »
YES IT IS!!  You need to stick with Cowboy loads with your 73.  It's not made to handle Silver Tip ammo.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline wingmaster

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »
Are there any brands that carry jacketed cowboy loads?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:07:46 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »
Any SAAMI spec ammo is OK with the 73.  The Silvertip ammo you are referring to is NOT +P and is OK.  It's even mentioned as being "controlled recoil" in Winchester's specs.  Cowboy ammo by definition has lead bullets since you can't use jacketed ammo for cowboy shooting.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 05:49:54 PM »
Any SAAMI spec ammo is OK with the 73.  The Silvertip ammo you are referring to is NOT +P and is OK.  It's even mentioned as being "controlled recoil" in Winchester's specs.  Cowboy ammo by definition has lead bullets since you can't use jacketed ammo for cowboy shooting.

Unless it says not for use in the 1873, on the box, the ammunition is safe to use in any 1873 rifle.

Bill

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
I will tell you that I've shot game with WW ST .45 with both handgun and rifle. I was sadly disappointed in it's performance.
For Cowboy shooting you don't need anything that hot but duplicating Old West Ammo is fun. With BP you can load almost the same load that was used back when. Remember that the '73 was made to use the full power .44-40.
For hunting I have a SS '92 that I can load .45 much hotter.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »
A friend of mine bought a Uberti 73  45colt with a Very long barrel and we loaded up some Mid range ammo for it...this ammo was not hot by any means.

It jammed the action and he bent his lever trying to eject the case...no big deal cause after running a rod down the barrel to remove the case we just bent the lever back... ;D :o I was ver surprised at how soft the metal was.... One of the best looking rifles there is. After loading the shells back down to cowboy level the gun worked great and is very accurate... milk jugs at 100 yards as fast as you can lever rounds through it....

Lots of fun and unless you really have a need to shoot hot loads through her...don't trash her with heavy loads.. A 260 at 900 or 1000fps will kill deer all day long.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
'heavy loads.. A 260 at 900 or 1000fps will kill deer all day long.'

Any load that shoots a 260 gr bullet OVER 900 fps is a hot load.
I use a 200 gr bullet at 825 fps. That's hotter than a .45 S&W and real close to the .45 Government load. I intend for my '73 to last.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com