Author Topic: WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!!! Test result of 56-50 load and Armi Sport Spencer Rifle  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Four Sixes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Went out last weekend to test some of my 56-50 reload in my Armi Sport Spencer rifle. What a day! I had so much fun and hopefully, I found the right combination for my spencer

Target was set at 25yd. 5 rds grouping.
Lee modified mould from Widowmaker cast in pure lead.
Annealled Starline brass (this is the key...the grouping is so much better and the breech was so clean after firing 60 rds)
1st load: 35 gr volume 3F goex; with 0.06"+0.03" wads
2nd load: 32.5 gr volume; 3F goex; with 2X0.06" wads
Please see the picture for the results. (Thanks two-flints in posting the picture for me)

After 25 yds, I shot 20 rds in 100yd at the metal target using the 200yd sight...100% hit...cool :)

4-sixes

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Don't you just love it when all your hard work pays off?  ;)

Offline Four Sixes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Yes indeed  ;D

I need to thank everyone who have put their inputs and results (big or small) in this web site. They really help tremendously. Trust me after working with it since 2006, I have almost given up wondering I will never be able to shoot a tight group.
I had also modified the trigger to <4lbs, redone the front sight and widen the rear sight. Hopefully, that is it  :) I can get it ready for my next CAS event.

My next project is to get my original Spencer rifle converted into center fire. Brought a used S&R center fire block and bullet follower already. Need to determine what cal. the rifle is first and then the project begin. Please fill free to give me any suggestion or hints on how I could do that. Thank you in advance!  :D

Advertising

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
They are great shooters with the DWM/HRHW modified LEE mold.  I used about 38 volume of 777, and it grouped about the same.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
How'd you anneal those cases? Curious minds want to know. ::)
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Bead Swinger, if you do a specific search in the Spencer Forum and use the word "anneal" there are more methods & more info than you ever wanted to know.  ;)

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
would you be able to give group results at 100yd

Offline Four Sixes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
How'd you anneal those cases? Curious minds want to know. ::)

Hi Bead,

I used the similar method that has been described here. I decapped the primer, place the brass through the smallest square driver bit on my cordless hand-held screw driver, slowly turn the brass in front of the torch until the tip grow red (I usually count 30 sec and the tip of the brass will be evenly red), quickly dump the brass into ice cold water and you are done.

Hope this help :)

4-sixes

Offline Four Sixes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
would you be able to give group results at 100yd

Hi Herbert,

I will try to reload some more and test them at 100yd and post the results.

4-Sixes

Offline Four Sixes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Here is an update on my testing. Try it out at 50 yd. It shooting low, filed the front sight down a bit to bring it up near the point of aim. Wish I had stopped after the first 3 shots, they were touching each other, my 4th was shot up to the right and the 5th was to the right :(

Try the 100yd, but couldn't get it to group right. It was either shooting low with the rear sight on 100 yd notch or way up high at 200 yd notch. May need to replace the rear sight.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
you are doing much beter than me yousing 350gr rapine T mould i carnt ceep group in 6 inches at 50 yards ,yousing a lyman 430gr bullet seated out and 38 gr 2F i get one raged hole but have to youse rifle as a single shot,keep persivering you defintly seem to be geting on top of it,looks licke i might have to get another mould

Offline Four Sixes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!!! Test result of 56-50 load and Armi Sport Spencer Rifle
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 06:32:43 PM »
Here is today test result of my Spencer rifle at 130yd target. Good grouping until the last 2 rds. Broke concentration or flyers  :P
Weather was perfect. calm wind, high 60s.
I used the 200 yd sight but barely raise the front sight over the rear sight notch at 6 O'clock of the target.
So much fun :D

(Photo re-posted by Two Flints)

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
very good,what type of lube are you yousing

Offline Four Sixes

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »
I was using 50% beewax and 50% wonderlube. It was a bit too hard, then I mixed it with 50% Crisco. So far it is working pretty good for me.
The best think I did to improve the accuracy was annealing the brass (Starline Brass). This really help in preventing blow back into the breech area. I fired over 50 rds and the breech chamber area was pretty clean.
Hope this help Herbert. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

4-sixes :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com