Author Topic: A big ole gun  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A big ole gun
« on: May 12, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »
A big old gun  needs a holster also.  The wife and I had planned on a few hours kayaking this morning but the weather was not agreeable so I decided to make a holster for my new Walker Colt.  This does leave me with one question, if my next revolver is one of the Dragoons, will this same size holster work?   

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: A big ole gun
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:25:11 PM »
I like that SB! I particularly like the gentle curve at the muzzle end of it. Very elegant.
I have only made 2 full length holsters for my Walker, and this one beats them both in style. Very nice.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
Beautious!!! :o I did a quicky for my Walker, and while it's solid and will get the job done nicely, now you've got me thinking of beauty vs. simple function....  Anyway, as to your question, I suspect it will work but it won't be right.  The cylinder length is definately different, and I believe that the diameter is also slightly smaller on the Dragoons.  In addition the rammer lever retainer is different, though I don't think that would create any significant issues, the biggest thing is the fact that the Dragoons all have shorter overall barrel length than the Walker, with shorter barrel reinforcement (for lack of a better term for the larger part of the end of the barrel that attatches to the cylinder pin).  As I said, I'm sure that you could stick one in and it would ride safely and comfortably, but it wouldn't be quite right, and judging from what you imply is a "quick" holster for the Walker, I find it hard to believe that you'd be satisfied with less than near perfection. ::)
Jamie

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:13:19 AM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »
Jamie, one of the pards over on the WIRE has me thinking an OMRV holster pattern might fit the dragoon pretty well.  If all else fails I can always start a new pattern from scratch!!!

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »
Howdy SB,
  Thats one AWESOME looking holster! Beautifull Carving, I realy like the pattern that you made> It fits the Walker to a Tee!! The color is awesome also. It fits the style and the pistol!1
Thanks for sharing that with us! this stupid weather and my back, has my brain frozen ::) ??? What i mean is brain freeze! 101 things I would like to start, but everytime I go to sit down, my mind goes blank!
That is why i like it when you guys post such awesome work, it helps get to thinking!
Thanks a bunch Bob
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:37:38 AM »
That looks mighty good, Bob. The carving on it is a good addition. Thanks for the pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »
Howdy Bob
That is one good lookin holster.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »

Nice holster Slowhand, good fit also  8)

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
    Slowhand, very pretty holster Pard. 

And you say that was a "quicky" ::) ;)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Butcher, my pard, now days thats about as close to a quicky as I can get!  The truth is that there are lots of short cuts here that were not very good techniques.   The holster was actually wet throughout the process and that includes glueing the main seam.   That main seam might have set ten minutes tops before going to the rotatory sander and none of the edges recived even the least bit of burnishing.  If you could see this big ole boy in person you would see a lot that the camera does not pick up BUT then, I happen to know thet the guy who will wear this one has lots of ruff edges to.

This pattern comes from an old pattern set that Tandy used to sell back in the brown shoe days and their version was skirted with a dog bone holster loop which laced closed in the front.  The pattern set was a nice one with lots of c&b holster sizes/styles, ball and powder measure pouches and a pretty fair buskyderro belt pattern, wish they would offer it again fer the newer guys.  But I digress, I just readjusted the pattern into this Slim Jim with an open toe (I hate toe plugs) and as the photo depicts I usually roll my belt loops around close to the center.   This helps to keep the fat boy from having to dig fer his pistol grip to much.

Perhaps one day next week, if I git enough of the wifes chores done, I will try to make another one that more closely resembles the Josie Wells holster.  Unless I can find a good picture, it will be somewhat a very Plain Jane version of this one with two variations.  I will cut the holster off much shorter for lots of barl protrusion and do a fold over belt loop on the back rather than the sewn on style.  If anyone has a link to a good picture of his leather I would appreciate a copy.  My searches have turned up nothing and everytime I put the movie on,,,, well I git so into the action that I fergit to watch fer the holster!!!!     

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
Very, very nice, but where are the little wheels at the bottom to keep that big sucker from draggin'?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
Howdy
This is what I could find.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
Thank you, that is a great picture and a bit different from what i had interpreted from others opinions.  The barrel does not protrude quite as much as I had thought.  This will be an easy conversion to make on my pattern.  Also of interest is the use of a large buckled Ranger style holster belt in at least two and a half or three inches width.  I did find a couple of small spots visible on his shoulder holster rig and it appears to be a different breed altogether.  It appears that there are loosely twined strands, of what appears to be lace, serving as much of the strap material.  I wonder if the prop folks just jury rigged a strap system on to a standard '49 belt holster converting it to a primitive shoulder rig???  Perhaps I can watch the movie this week end and keep my mind on my research.  This was one of my all time favorite westerns.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:16:35 AM »
I'll let ya make me one for an 1858 12 inch barrel i have,GCR would look real nice on it ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »
Just for kicks and giggles I did try the Walker in a holster made for a Ruger Blackhawk, and while it would work, it didn't actually fit.  While a Dragoon might be better - maybe a LOT better in the holster, I think you're still going to find limited success in securing the gun well.  On the other hand, as heavy as these bad boys are, they aren't exactly going to jump out of the holster by themselves! ;D At any rate, keep us posted.  I came within a hair's breadth of grabbing a mint used 2nd model Dragoon here in January, and then I could have given you absolutely accurate information, but couldn't decide between that and a mint 1861 Navy - both Ubertis, and both perfect with boxes.  By the time I decided, a more intelligent individual had snatched them both.  Oh well.   :-\ >:(
Jamie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com