Author Topic: working with (water) buffalo horn  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
working with (water) buffalo horn
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »
Hi Gents,

I bought  a pair of buffalo horn grips rough cut for an SSA. Do any of you have experience fitting these?
I was told to use a rasp to remove the most material then varrying sand paper then steel wool.
A rasp seems like it would gouge the horn. Any and all advice welcomed.
Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
Re: working with (water) buffalo horn
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »
That's what the instructions are saying, I'd guess. Use the coarsest tool to remove the most material to get them to the point where you use finer grits to remove tool marks and smooth them down to the final shape.

I made a powder horn out of a bison horn that I rough shaped with a coarse rasp then progressively used finer cutting files 'til I could wet sand the finish. 'Course the advantage of rasping was I could shape the walnut end plug and the horn to the same circumference, then smooth them as a unit.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com