Author Topic: '74 Sharps military carbines  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'74 Sharps military carbines
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »
Any of you shoot one of theses ? What kind of 200yd accuracy are you getting and what is your fav load for it ?  I'd like to have one for a hunting 'sharps.'  Believe it would make a neat nimble handling rifle,,,and there is just something about them military carbines,,,love the looks of them.

MD

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: '74 Sharps military carbines
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »
You know, I was kind of wondering if Scott's carbine would stoke the furnace again...   ;D
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:57 AM »
Well, I'll let you know in a week or two. I just bought an IAB 1866 Carbine in 45-70 for a very nice price. I know, it's an IAB, and I may regret it, but I have my Pedersoli Long Range Deluxe for BPCR. This one is for shooting Plainman Side Matches, and just plinking. I had a Shiloh 1863 Military Carbine back in the early 90's and I love the carbines! For hunting and plinking, I prefer the carbine to the rifles. YMMV. ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:59 PM »

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:46:56 PM »
I'm happy to report that I finally got to try my 1866 military carbine from IAB and was very pleased. Used two loads. First was the Lee 405 HB bullet with 55 gr. Pinnacle 3FG and it shot very well. My other load was a standard 405 gr. RNFP with 55gr. 2FG 777. It also shot quite well. The rifle holds as good a group as I can at 100 yds offhand. Have not had the opportunity to use the bench yet. Felt recoil is more than my 12 lb. Pedersoli, but for a plinker, hunting arm or quick Plainsman match shooting offhand, the carbine is IMHO, superior.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com