Author Topic: Some luck with NM Evans  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Some luck with NM Evans
« on: April 12, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »
Hi All
I've managed to assemble parts for reloading the NM Evans I picked up last month. 
Cases:
    Several made from cut-down 30-40 cases
    20x Buffalo Arms cases made from .445 Super Mag
    12x .44 Mag cases

I ordered a ~300 gr variant of a .421 mold from NMI in Texas, and cast up a bunch of bullets. These chamber well, but shave in the Buffalo Arms cases; they load great in the 30-40 and .44 Mag cases.

When I match these to the OAL of the sample round provided, the Buffalo arms cases are tight, probably due to the shaving problem. The milled-out 30-40 cases are great, and the .44 mags have to be crimped on the 2nd ring to achieve the desired OAL; these chamber very well.  I also loaded some more .44 mags shorter, and these chamber very smoothly. 

I've loaded up a dozen of different varieties with 25 Gr. Pyrodex for some test shots tomorrow. We'll see how they perform.

1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Some luck with NM Evans
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »
Bead Swinger,

Just for your information.

This 2 cavity mold has a steel sprue cutter and casts 2 base pour slugs with flat point and 2 base grooves. The Evans rifles were in .45 caliber center fire with cartridges 1" and 1 1/2" long for old model (1") and new model (1 1/2"). A C. fire re cap pin was present but appears to have been removed. The number "2" is punched on the mold bottom. A picture of an Evans mold is shown in illustration "V" on page 134 of "Cartridge Reloading Tools of the Past" by R.H. Chamberlain and Tom Quigley. These bullets measured just over 7/8" long and were most likely for the "new" model.

Still available from Joe Salter at  http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=9309

Make him an offer from the indicated price.

He also has this Evans for sale:  http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=10203

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk