Author Topic: Uberti Lightning Rifle  (Read 6788 times)

Offline wjt4

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Lightning Rifle
« on: April 11, 2009, 07:04:39 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Uberti Lightning rifle? I have always kind of wanted a slide action Lightning and I have come across one that is in very good condition and for a fair price. It is .45 caliber with a 20" octagonal barrel. I guess what I am asking is did uberti get any of the feeding problems fixed that it seems the Taurus rifles had? Thanks for any help and comments!

Wjt4

Offline Pinto Jim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uberti Lightning Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 07:27:21 PM »
I may be wrong but I think the feeding problem is with the straight walled cartridge as the lightnings were made to feed tehslightly knecked down wcf cartridges.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:54:23 AM »
From what I've been told, Nash is correct.  I have a USFA Lightning in 44WCF that works quite well, but even the Sales Manager for USFA told me that all Lightnings chambered for straight walled cases tend to have feeding problems, no matter who the manufacturer.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:40:40 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »
I had an AWA Lightning in 45 colt. It was worked over by Eldon Penner. It fed like oiled ice. Never missed one as long as it was not run too fast. With the ramp feed, if you shoot too fast, the cartridge hops off the carrier and noses into the top of the chamber on the way in. He felt that the 44-40 was better and the 38-40 was the best cartridge in them because they fed better. It would make sense that the smaller the bullet, there would be less tendency for a bullet hopping up and snagging on the top of the chamber edge on the way in.

Eldon also mentioned that the bottleneck seemed to have less blow-back because of the nature of the 44-40 and 38-40 case being thinner and sealing the chamber better.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
Just got back from our Easter match.  Shot with both El Rod (Eldon) and his wife Toni.  They both shoot Lightings, though I’m not sure which calibers.  I’ve never seen a hiccup out of any of their rifles.  They have been shooting with us for years.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com