Author Topic: Chaparral 1866 Brass and CCH frames  (Read 12208 times)

Offline Coyote Roper

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chaparral 1866 Brass and CCH frames
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
I have been looking for some good info on the Chaparral brand of Winchester replica rifles.  I have searched this site a couple times and find nothing dealing with the 1866.  I have found some older stuff on the Chaparral 1876, most of it not too promising but agiian it is 1-2 years old.

Does anyone have any good info on the reliability of these rifles or can direct me to some informative review of them.

Also I see the Chaparral 1866 advertised as a color case hardened receiver.  Isn't that really just a 1873?  If not, what makes it an 1866 if it is not a brass frame?

On their brass frame, I hear that it may be just steel with a brass plating, is this true?

Any first had info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
CR
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Chaparral 1866 Brass and CCH frames
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
Also I see the Chaparral 1866 advertised as a color case hardened receiver.  Isn't that really just a 1873?  If not, what makes it an 1866 if it is not a brass frame?

I'm sure others will chime in here with more and better information, particularly as regards the Chaparral rifles.  My comments are more general in nature.  A CCH receiver would truly make it not to be a "true" 1866, but it wouldn't automatically make it a '73.

Though they are similar, the '66 and the '73 have several key design differences in addition to the brass frame.  First, the side plates are different -- the '73 is easier to disassemble and clean.  Second, the '73 has a safety interlock that prevents firing if the lever isn't completely closed -- the '66 doesn't.  Third, though I'm not entirely certain here, the angle of the stock in relation to the barrel is different.

Offline robtlah

• Lawdog Bob
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
I have a Chaparral 1873 in .357 mag, CCH receiver. The gun looks good but it was extremely problematic out of the box. I had to really yank the lever forward hard to overcome spring stiffness and poor interior fit with regard to the toggle mechanism.  Jams were frequent. The Chaparral is slightly different from the Uberti in its mechanism. I had a local gunsmith tune the action and I'm able to work the lever with one finger now. He relieved some of the spring tension, ground off 0.030 of metal on both sides of the elevator and also ground metal off the toggle links becasue they were hanging up on the frame during part of the cycle.

My point is this...I bought a Chaparral 1873 before too many people had much experience with this line of firearms. I would talk to a lot of folks to find out what their experience is with Chaparral guns. I think Chaparral may need to improve its quality control or test its designs better before putting their products on the market. Knowing what I know now, I would opt for a tried-and-true Uberti design if I had to do it over again. The gunsmith costs weren't extravagant but they did bring my investment up close to what I would have paid for a Uberti. Good luck and good shootin'.

Lawdog Bob

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:09:00 PM »

Offline Sgt. Jake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »
   I myself wouldt buy a Chaparral product,someone could give me one ,but then I would have too sell it,JMO.    Adios  Sgt.Jake

Offline Hilo Willy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »
I have 3 Chaparrals-'66 CCH, 73 carbine and a '76.  Trigger pull tends to be heavy and the sights--well --I replaced the '76 with a vernier tang and globe front as the stock rear was poor at best --the front blade (brass was bent) but I was intent on changing them anyway.  The '73 rear had a very narrow slit that I couldn't see through so I widened it and it's fine.  Both shoot well.  With the '66 the trigger spring is a bit short and popped out of the trigger.  Mine was stamped KBI/Charles Daley and they are ordering me another(spring not gun).  In the mean time I crafted one out of an old Colt 1917 mainspring.  Now the trigger pull is better than the others and mine is smooth action wise.  The stock sights on the '66 are the best of the lot with a steel balde front and a nice buckhorn rear. Only fired one shot before the trigger spring went so I can't speak to accuracy (did hit paper at 25 yds)

All three are similar with the '73 and '76 actions identical except for size.  The '66 doesn't have the lever saftey (mentioned in an earlier post) and the trigger spring is on the outside in front of the trigger-the rest of the action is the same.  If you are looking for a 66 or 73 to put a race kit in Chaparral is not the way to go as I haven't found anyone that makes them.  I haven't been on the clock with them yet so I can't speak as to if they are quick--but they seem to me that they are faster than my '92s that have been slicked up.

The 66 sideplates are dovetailed in and the drop of the stock is a bit more than the others.  I have not experienced any feeding problems with any of them.  Hope to get the '66 out this weekend to see how it runs.--I'll let ya know

all the best,
Willy

I bought mine through CDNN as the price was right and I needed a back up (or main if they work out).

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:42:25 PM »
Howdy Pard
MKS out of Ohio has dropped this line of weapons because of POOR quality .
Uberti makes an EXCELLENT 66 and if you purchase one you want be sorry .
I would hate to see you buy something and be sorry .

Offline Coyote Roper

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

Robtlah.. sounds like you bought one of the earlier manufatured rifles?  When did you buy yours, have they made any refinements to the mechanics since you bought yours?

Sounds like no one else has had any significant experience using them in a match yet.

I look forward to hearing from Hilo Willy to see how they work for him on the clock.

All-in-all, the word on the earlier models is .. not worth the trouble even at the lower purchase price.  Not much current data from anyone that has used a newer rifle.

Keep the info coming, I'm going to get a new rife here in a couple weeks, I wan't a Win 66 replica in 45 Colt but don't want to spend a grand on one if I don't have to.

Thanks
CR
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »
And by the way...

I've been shooting a Uberti '66 carbine for well over a year now, averaging 2 - 3 matches per month, with nary a single problem.  The ONLY "modifications" - and I'm using the term very loosely - has been what we've come to call a "Piru Action Job".  The Piru CAS ranges are rather windy AND dusty, so dust gets into almost everything almost every time.  Shooting a dust-impregnated firearm tends to smooth things out... ;)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:55:25 PM »
Daniel
That is one fine looking rifle . I love those brass studs .

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:54:10 PM »
Dang Daniel,  That looks like an injun gun! ::) ;)  Looks real good too!  You and OCB know how to tack up a Winchester! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »
You and OCB know how to tack up a Winchester! ;D ;D

Yup.  I'm plumb tacky...      ;)

Offline Coyote Hunter

• Saddlebag Preacher
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I only have two cheeks....
    • The Saddlebag Preacher
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
All I can say is.......SHAM-WOW  :o
"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

Member of the American Frontier Reenactment Guild
SixGuns Entertainment, Inc. www.sixgunsonline.com
T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com