Author Topic: Does Anyone Make the Spencer Carbine Sling (not the standard carbine sling)?  (Read 8392 times)

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I know that that is an odd opening line but, Roy Marcott shows a sling made specifically for the Spencer carbine that attaches at one end to the sling swivel on the stock and on the other to a leather band [which looks like a miniture CW carbine sockett] that wraps arround the barrel and is attached with a small buckle.  It is not the standard cavalry sling with the swivel, which I already have.

I am wondering if anyone makes one of these slings? 

Roscoe

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Roscoe,

Is this the sling you are referring to?  Why not make your own?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Yeah, thats the kitten, I am thinking of making one but I wanted to see if there was anyone out there who already was doing it.  The photos in the book are not super clear but I think it could be done using the information at hand.  Its an interesting accessory and would be more practicle than using an actual carbine sling, especially for a civilian impression.

Advertising

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Same sling up for sale on dated auction???????  from this link:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lot-3-assorted-reproduction-leather-carbine-sli

Hey Two Flints, I didn't have my Marcott book here so I can't look.  Is there a close up picture of the little band and buckle arangement for that sling in there?  I have seen a photo of it somewhere, but I can't remember if it was there.  If it is can you send me a photo?  I looked into it and I think it would be pretty easy to make these, I want one so maybe others do as well?

Roscoe

Roscoe,

It looks like a standard army-isse type of saddle boot, only made smaller to fit over the barrel of the Spencer.  You probably would be pretty close to accurate by just checking out one of the standard issue army boots of that time period and just making it smaller.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline walkinboss

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi,

What keeps the "boot" from sliding up and down and off the barrel?

WB

Offline Sgt Scott

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I had one from a short Enfield (2 band) that seemed to work ok. Don't use it as I use the typical cavalry sling, but you might try one. I looked on Blockaderunner.com and saw couple different ones. The loop on the end for mine was very tight, but did sllide on the barrel. It is not exactly the one from Marcot's book, but close.

1sgt Scott
14,000 miles, 7 states, 3 years

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
There is nothing that would keep the boot or band from sliding up and down, just friction.  I imagine that it would be best used carrying the gun upside down (muzzle pointing down rather than up).  The slings in the auction don't look much like the one in Marcott and I wonder of they are the type Sgt. Scott had.  The one in the book is distinctive in that the "band" looks almost exactly like a tiny Civil War carbine thimblel.  There is probably a reason that these did not see wide use (other than the fact that they were not Army issue) but it would provide a sling for civilian impressions.  Besides, its another Spencer accessory to own.

Offline walkinboss

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Hi,

I saw a picture somewhere of a carbine with a swivel that was part of  the front band...So the sling went from the stock to the band, rather than to the ring/bar on the receiver.  Anyone know where that might have come from and a part #?
Thanks. ???

WB

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Someone with Marcott's book handy can tell you for sure but I think those were later European contract guns (though I may be wrong).

New question, can anyone with a sling for a Spencer rifle tell me how wide it is?  The sling swivel could take a sling up to 1 1/8 inches wide but a measurement and proportional calculation of the photo provided by Two Flints came up with .80 for the leather barrel band.  The measurement was a bit rough (only going to 1/64 of an inch) so their is a bit of slop in the calculation which makes me think it is more likely to be  1" wide.   

Roscoe

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Walkinboss,some modle 1865,1867and NM carbines came standard with front band swivels,i dont know what proportionthis was it makes me wonder weather carbines with band swivels were ment for artilary,same as british system no swivel for cavelry swivel for garison and artilary,someone might know anser,of all the NM carbines i have personly seen all had front band swivels but only one 1865 model with band swivel

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Hey Herbert,
  Mine started out life as a New Model and it did not have the band/swivel.  Of course it could have been changed at some point. 

Offline Sgt Scott

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Hi,

What keeps the "boot" from sliding up and down and off the barrel?

WB
Friction does seem to keep the sling from sliding off.

(Posted by Two Flints)

Sgt Scott

Offline Sgt Scott

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Someone with Marcott's book handy can tell you for sure but I think those were later European contract guns (though I may be wrong).

New question, can anyone with a sling for a Spencer rifle tell me how wide it is?  The sling swivel could take a sling up to 1 1/8 inches wide but a measurement and proportional calculation of the photo provided by Two Flints came up with .80 for the leather barrel band.  The measurement was a bit rough (only going to 1/64 of an inch) so their is a bit of slop in the calculation which makes me think it is more likely to be  1" wide.   

Roscoe
The one I have is for an enfield (2 band) and is 4ft 2in long, 1 1/8 inch wide with two keepers. One keeper is sewn on, the other is free. Both seem to be 1/2 inch wide and about 5 inches long, wrapped and sewn. The wire is a about 5 inches long, sewn into one end.

(Posted by Two Flints)

(Posted by Two Flints)

Sgt Scott

Offline walkinboss

• Citizen
  • Liked:

I would be worried about the sling slipping off if I carried the spencer on my shoulder as I don't use a cart for my long guns....Is there any way of securely fastening it to the band? Does anyone make a spencer band with some type of swivel attached?

Thanks,
WB

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
i have seen band with sling swivel oferd as a extra by difrent companys seling spencer carbines, i think it is the same as sharps carbine with band sling,in Marcots book it states that 1665,1867 & NMs had band swivels as standard weather this is so or not i carnt seem to find out(a large number i have seen & photos show no sling) sling swivel would interfear with bucket use so i carnt see the cavelry using it the artialary would have licked sling as would most civilans,wheather it was opinal or band was replaced i do not know,i suspect they came standard with both types

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
'Sorry for jumping in late
I thought the Carbine sling had a little buckle on it to keep it snug on the barrel.  I was going to make one from a repro Springfield sling from that CW MFG in Corinth MS (Name escapes me).

Let me know if you can't find one commercially - I'll be doing some leatherwork this summer, and could modify one of these pretty easily.

1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline walkinboss

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Hi,

I guess that I'm looking for a replacement band for my carbine that has a swivel attached for a sling/strap.

Anybody know who makes one and a part #?  The Taylor's website doesn't show one available.

Thanks,

WB

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
the replacment band with swivel seems to be the midle band with swivel from the sharps military rifle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com