Author Topic: True Grit to be remade  (Read 28752 times)

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: True Grit to be remade
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
Lets keep our fingers crossed on this one pards.

I believe that Robert Duvall would be the best actor available to play the part of Rooster.  What say you all??
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Branding Iron Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
That's very interesting.  Thanks.  I'll be watching out for this one.  I wonder who they will be cast in the lead role.  Lance Hendricksen comes to mind after seeing him in 'Gunfighter's Moon'.  The interaction he had with the young girl in that movie reminded me a lot of  the interaction John Wayne had with Kim Darby in 'True Grit'.  Also be interesting to see who they cast as Lucky Ned Pepper.  Speaking of which,  Robert Duvall would also be good in the lead role.  Tom Selleck or Sam Elliot would also be a good choice.  You know they both love to do westerns.  Although Sam tends to be a bit on the lean side, not sure if he would fit into the 'fat ole man' part.

Patrick
Patrick  D.
AKA Branding Iron Bill SASS 2019
6th generation son of the Texas Republic since 1824
USFA CSS
SCORRS
RATS
A proud Henry owner.
STORM (Love my R-M 44's)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:47:45 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »
I'll lookin' for that one when it come out.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »
It's a big undertaking to remake something as egnimatic as True Grit.  Casting alone would be a nightmare.  Finding someone to play the girl will be just as tough as finding Rooster especialy if they are going to follow the novel more closely with this one.  I hope the big wigs tread careful an do this one right.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 05:44:45 PM »
A very good child actor who is just 14 years old, Dakota Fanning ! How about Tommy Lee Jones as Roster, Sam too slim, I dont think Tom would do a one eyed FAT MAN. So who do you see in the roles ?
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »
I believe I'll wait a lustrum and see what shakes out of this idea.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:26:57 PM »
I second Dakota Fanning as an accomplished young actor. I bet many will rethink whether they want to take on that iconic Wayne role, especially those who would have to beef up when a role called for it.
John Goodman has worked on multiple Cohen brothers films. I do not see the Cohen brothers casting a known 'cowboy'-venue actor.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
Tommy Lee Jones aint fat, but I'd love to see him do some western work.  Seems right up his alley.  Fanning would be a good choice for the girl.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Pinto Jim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »

I believe that Robert Duvall would be the best actor available to play the part of Rooster.  What say you all??

from Lucky Ned Pepper in the original to playin rooster in the remake might not be a bad idea

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »
This'll sound silly, but what about John Goodman?  I think he could do it, he's played a lot of roles waaaaay outside the Rosanne thing.  He makes a good cop and has a lot of flexibility.

Roland Deschain

Offline PegLeg45

• NRA-Life Member
  • Citizen
  • The biggest measure of a man is his friends.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 12:39:02 PM »
I think I'll just jump right out of the fryin' pan and into the fire on just my second post, but in my opinion, trying to do a remake of 'True Grit' would be downright blasphemous. 

Whew....there...I said it.     :o

As True Grit is one of my all time favorites, along with 'Rooster Cogburn', I just can't think of anyone today who could top John Wayne.....sorry guys....just the way I feel. Some movies were meant to be remade....The Duke's were not...again in my opinion.

You also need to consider the producers and directors.....the Coen brothers. They did 'Fargo', 'O Brother Where Art Thou', and 'No Country for Old Men'. All were good movies in there own rights, but I just can't help but think that there would be some monkey business in there that would just foul up the works as far as good westerns go.

Heck, I could be wrong....been there plenty of times...just ask my wife....she'll be glad to tell you just that.      ;D

I guess we'll just have to see where the dust settles.

P.S.,
Glad to be here....I just found this place and it looks like a fine group.    :D
"Well them I ain't hittin' at, I ain't aimin' at."
                      Rooster J. Cogburn, 1880

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
Well welcome PL!

We all got our opinions around here and fer the most part all are welcome.  Prolly the most civilized place on the net.

It is tough ta remake a movie like this.  Like you, I'll just see what pans out, ya never know.  Casting will be a bear if possible at all.

Roland Deschain

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
Off topic here, but talk about casting out of type. . . .
they're planning another movie about the Three Stooges, with Sean Penn as Larry, Jim Carrey as Curly and Benecio del Toro as Moe.

Trying like hell to get my mind wrapped around this! :-\
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »
Some things need ta be left alone.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
The 3 Stooges, let sleeping dogs lie.    As far as "True Grit", the characters that Glen Campbell and Kim Darby played could be done by anyone.  No one could play "Rooster" but the Duke.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline PegLeg45

• NRA-Life Member
  • Citizen
  • The biggest measure of a man is his friends.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 05:59:15 PM »
As a side note, there was supposed to be a third movie installment to titled "Someday", and Warren Oates was supposed to play Rooster.
The deal never went through.
Oates played Rooster in made-for-TV version of True Grit (I never knew this until today) and by all accounts it was dreadful.

Here's the imdb link:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078422/

Here are some other trivia notes from the two originals:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065126/trivia

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073636/trivia

"Well them I ain't hittin' at, I ain't aimin' at."
                      Rooster J. Cogburn, 1880

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »

<~~~~ I don't know.... ::) ::) ::)

I'm just messing with yea. Him, Jones or Selleck would be good ;D ;D ;D ;D
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 05:03:34 AM »
It doesn't need remaking - and it'll never happen.

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
James Gammon would do to play the lead role in my book.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com