Author Topic: Cowboy photo's  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cowboy photo's
« on: February 28, 2005, 05:51:07 PM »
Here's a museum site with 100's of photo's from the turn of the last century showing cowboys and their clothes, work day, and equipment. Posted this elsewhere also, but this is a neat site. Enjoy.

http://www.cartermuseum.org/collections/smith/collection.php?mcat=51
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cowboy photo's
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 09:31:45 PM »
Howdy Doc Neeley,

Interesting site to refer to, thanks for the 'heads up'.

I looked through the first half of the cowboy clothing photos, and all of the 'gear' portion of the cowboy equipment section. I was struck by the almost total lack of rifles. I didn't see any in the first half of the clothing section, even though many of the pictures were of cowboys mounted. Only two in the gear section, and only one of the those was a lever gun.
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 10:13:23 PM »
Try this one:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/nbhihtml/pshome.html

Type cowboys into the search, less cowboy photos thean the other one, but notice the almost total lack of guns in these pictures.  There is 3000 some to search here though, on clothing remember settlers often wore similar clothing.  Do sodhouse on the search but set it to allow a 1000 images not a 100 in the records box. ;D  When you get the full screen photo, scroll down and click the larger image button.  If yer on dial up, go get a cup of coffee while it loads, but the wait is well worth it. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:50:35 PM »

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 10:35:13 AM »
I a;lso thought it interesting that some cowboys wore their holsters inside their chaps with just the butt sticking up.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Birdgun Quail

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 12:35:19 PM »
Thanks for the link fellas.  Got over on them and, wow, there are a lot of old photos.  Interesting and addictive.
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Offline Birdgun Quail

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 02:12:17 PM »
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPhoto.pl?path=/award/nbhips/lca/107&topImages=10725r.jpg&topLinks=10725v.jpg&displayProfile=0&title=N.C.%20Dunlap,%20ex-cowboy,%20graduate%20of%20Nebraska%20Agricultural%20School%20and%20foreman%20on%20Watson%20Ranch,%20Buffalo%20County,%20Nebraska.&m856s=$dnbhips$f10725&dir=ammem&itemLink=D?psbib:17:./temp/~ammem_1THB:

While looking around at the photos at the site Delmonico posted, I found this old photo of a 1901 cowboy.  Taking the photo to full size you can see his pistol is an old cap and ball revolver.  And talk about a button down collar!  The button down on the top button of his bib!
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
Wow. What a classic face. Noticed he did have shells in his belt.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 11:11:44 PM »
I hate to break the news to you Fellas, but got back and look at the thumbnail photo and read the description of the photo.  He is dressed up for a settlers day parade in 1901.  That is the good thing about this collection, there was some good notes and good research done on it.

Go back do the cowboy search and bring the ones titled Charley Meeks and Skinning a brand on a heifer and look at what you see when you scroll under the full picture and kick it to 3300 pix per inch.  Remember I've seen some of these at a quarter million pix in some workshps I've been to.  Heck at that range yer a window peeper, there is more than dark in those windows and doors.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »
Del, ya think Mr. Dunlap was wearing his own hair or horse hair?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 04:36:54 PM »
Yer learnin' fast Slim, that was one of my thoughts, both looks a bit fake and very few would have had that long of hair then except a Wild West Show Preformer.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 03:36:16 PM »
Ya have to go look at the "Cowboy relaxing" pages. There's a picture of cowboys dancing titled "Dancing not limited by lack of women". What a life. Notice the guy with the cigarette in his mouth.

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 04:37:36 AM »
Del, ya think Mr. Dunlap was wearing his own hair or horse hair?

Slim

Here's Mr. Dunlap again, without the hair:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPhoto.pl?path=/award/nbhips/lca/126&topImages=12639r.jpg&topLinks=12639v.jpg&displayProfile=0&title=N.C.%20Dunlap,%20ex-cowboy,%20graduate%20of%20Nebraska%20Agricultural%20School%20and%20foreman%20on%20Watson%20Ranch,%20Buffalo%20County,%20Nebraska.&m856s=$dnbhips$f12639&dir=ammem&itemLink=D?psbib:2:./temp/~ammem_qcN6:

There're several pictures of Mr. Dunlap in the collection. One of them has him standing by a ship he wittled with a pocket knife that is very impressive, and several others have him picking peaches in 1907, and the trees are large!

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Birdgun Quail

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 08:44:05 AM »
I still like them button-down collars on that bib shirt!
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 08:58:50 AM »
I have a friend who had one made after looking at that picture.  One is on my list of to do things. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 09:18:40 AM »
Thanks, Cuz. The hair just didn't look right.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com