Author Topic: Top Schofield's on the market?  (Read 26114 times)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Top Schofield's on the market?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »
Question?  Does anyone make after market grips for the Uberti Schofield?  I'd like something fancy for mine.
They got some nice onces on "The Dead Man's Gun".  Wooly mammoth, looks like.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 01:56:19 AM »
Now I REALLY feel old .... I read the book before I saw the movie ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
Besides having S&W stamped on the side vs Uberti or importers, what specifically makes them better?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:53:56 PM »

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
I currently have:

2 Beretta Laramies (Uberti Made 5" barrel):  These work like a charm and have had NO gunsmithing.  As noted, they are replicas of the No. 3 "New Model"  (Differnt grip frame, frame latch, and underlug than the Schofield).  Mine are nickel with fire blue accents . . . very pretty guns.   I know French Jack had a Laramie that was a big nasty lemon of a gun.  I've heard about this happening to a few other folks.  I know more folks who have good working Laramies.  Of note:  These are Uberti made.  IMHO, they are finished a little nicer than the other Uberti No. 3 replicas.  Beretta discontinued them about 2 years ago.

1 Navy arms Russian (Uberti Made, 6.5" barrel):  Works great.  Looks great.  Put some fake ivory stocks made from Corian on them.  Long barrel = slow to draw.

2 Taylor Schofield "Hideout" models (Uberti made 3.5" barrel):  These are my favorites.  The short barrel and wide rear sight make for a very fast sight picture.  Only down side here:  Once when I was thumbing the hammer fast, I accidentally dissengaged the frame latch and opened up the gun.  Ruined my time on that stage, but you live and you learn.

A few other notes:

I know a fella how owns one of the Army San Marco Schofields.  It has loads of mecahnical issues and rarely shoots 5 shots without some problem.  If you see a Schofield with "Cimarron" stamped on them, take a closer look and see if its one of the old Army San Marco.  All of the current Schofields offered by Cimarron are made by Uberti.

The modern production S&W Schofields are beautiful and very well made.  I don't own one, but I'm still looking.  They are going way up in price as time goes on.  Love to see S&W do another run of these.  

Grips are easy to find.  Look on Gunbroker or the classfieds here for lots of examples.  Ajax (recently out of business), Gripmaker, Tombstone grips, Buffalo Brothers, and Collins Craft Grips all offer samples.  
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
Hi,

Funny you should mention grips ... I had bought a pair of Buffalo Brothers pseudo ivory grips ( i.e. enough for one gun).

When I bought my Schofields used, the guns already had Sambar grips.

So if anyone is interested in trying one set out send me a PM or an email (my address is on my profile).....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
One thing on the Taylors & Co 5" Schofield in .45 Colt that was a disappointment was how the wood grips were finished.  They were so rough I almost got splinters from them....no problem though.  I stained them with some French's Winchester stock stain and then took 400 grit sandpaper with Arrow wood finish on it to dewhisker the wood and fill the pores while building up the finish.  I hand rubbed the last application of the Arrow wood finish and also rubbed in a little boiled linseed oil and let them dry.  I rubbed the grips with a tack cloth and reinstalled and they look as good as the grips on my Navy Arms Schofield and are nice and smooth with a military oil finish look.

Offline Christopher Carson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 07:11:27 AM »
I've heard that the newer production Schofields have a transfer bar system.  The older Navy (Uberti) model I've been experimenting with doesn't have a transfer bar.

-Chris
- Christopher Carson, SASS #5676L
A Ghostrider... Captain and Chief Engineer of the coaster "Ranger"; previously scout for the Signal Corps, Army of the Potomac, range detective...

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »
I've heard that the newer production Schofields have a transfer bar system.  The older Navy (Uberti) model I've been experimenting with doesn't have a transfer bar.

-Chris

I've never seen an Uberti Schofield or Russian with a transfer bar.  The three I own are all less than 3 years old (two are Taylor imports and one is a Navy Arms import).

The Beretta Laramie does have a rebounding hammer added for safety.  I know some folks have had problems with this rebounding hammer and have disabled it.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com