Author Topic: 45-70 in a Marlin  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45-70 in a Marlin
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
I generally hang out in the Darksider forum but have decided to again start loading my Marlin 1895 with smokeless.  I had some data from several years ago on the 45-70 but wanted to get some advise.

I have 405 lead bullets and have a load for IMR 3031 of 45 grains.  Is this a good load?  It seems like the bullet is sitting mighty close to the powder.  I seem to remember that is not the best situation.

I also have 300 gn jacketed hollow points and would like to get a good load for that for hunting.  I realize this load will not be SASS allowed but would really like to work up a good hunting load.

I am sure there are many of you with good proven loads and I hope ya'll are willin' to share.

Thanks ahead of time.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 45-70 in a Marlin
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
Will, generally a smokeless load that fills the case at least 90% is the best loads, (with in established data of course.)  I strive for it in all my smokeless rifle loads.  In some cases smokeless is even compressed slightly like black powder loads. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:55 AM »
Will,

I use a load of 54 gr IMR4350 and 405 gr lead pills in my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. The 405's are cast from wheel weights (Lyman 457193) lubed w/ beeswax/mineral oil, sized to .458 and an .035" card wad between it and the powder. Not a lot of space, if any, between the base of the buulet and the powder. Does pretty well with my old eyes and me squeezing the trigger out to 150 yards or so (3" benched 10-shot groups at 100 yards).

Here's a photo one before and after it was recovered from a 230# 6x5 whitetail after going through both shoulders and lodging under the skin on the far side - obviously not the same bullet. Shot was only 35 yards though.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:11:01 PM »

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:06:53 PM »
Appreciate the info.  I will be taking the rounds to the range Saturday and give it a try.  Otter, I may have to try that recipe you mention.  I definitely feel better about the lack of space between the bullet and the powder.  According to the load books, my IMR 3031 is at the bottom end of the loads for a 405 gn boolet.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com