Author Topic: Hunting with the 50-95  (Read 7647 times)

Offline farrow3240

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hunting with the 50-95
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »
Has anybody done any serious hunting with a 50-95 ( Bear, Elk, etc.) I need to know some particulars like is it good on bears and such? What are my distance limitations, what kind of accuracy. I have a Chap. 76 coming and i am going to plan on hunting with it but don't have any idea what to expect of performance. Any info would help. Thanks

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
Re: Hunting with the 50-95
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
Well, I'd say you can use it on any game here in north america if you so desire. The 50-95 is capable of downing all game species here in the U.S., Canada, all of North America, and even light african game.  Range would be limited to a couple of hundred yards I guess, depending on shooters abilities and loads used. Most large bears aren't taken at long distances, so that wouldn't be an issue. I have a '76 in 45/75 and one in 45/60, and a Marlin CB lever-gun in 45/70, and either one would make me feel well armed against a bear or elk, moose, etc. Something about those 300+ grain boolets says I'll be OK :)

Offline Backstrap Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
farrow,

I bought mine for hunting, too.  Maybe we'll have stories to share come Fall, eh?
Ain't got to where I'm going, but I'm past where I been.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:14:39 PM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
Howdy Pards
Well you have plenty of time to work up a load . And when hunting season gets here you will be ready . Now that 50-95 will be a great choice , but know your range . Good luck and Happy Hunting ,and don't forget to take pictures .

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:25:47 AM »
If you consider a buffalo serious hunting, then yes.  I've killed buffalo with all the '76 calibers, except the .40-60.  The .45-60 didn't do very well, but both the .45-75 and the .50 Express worked very well.  Shot placement is always the key.  I've shot two with the .50 and several others with the .45-75.  All of the guns were original Winchesters.  The new reproductions may shoot differently because of the rifling twist.  The original .50-95 has a 1 in 60" twist.  I've found that the factory 300 grain bullet will not stabilize until it is out about 60 yards from the muzzle.  I've also found that the maximum killing range is about 250 yards.  Both of the buffalo I shot with this caliber in a rifle were out about 85 yards.  On the other hand, the .45-75 performed flawlessly.  The original twist is 1 in 20", which makes the heavy 350 grain bullet stabilize right out of the muzzle.  As far as I'm concerned, the .45-75 is the ultimate caliber in the '76.  I've made one-kill shots with both rifles and carbines in this caliber at distances out to 124 yards.  No matter how you look at it, these guns are as much fun to shoot as anything I've ever owned.

Adios,
Buck

Offline farrow3240

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
Hi Buck, got the bullets in yesterdays mail, Thanks a bunch, will let you know how mold turns out.

Hello Backstrap, I probably won't get to hunt with my 76 until June of 2010, going to Manitoba for Black Bear. But i will have all summer to practice, I hope it shoots well, and i will keep you posted on my findings, let me know how yours performs. See ya later.

Offline farrow3240

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 01:36:36 PM »
Hey Rowdy, I will definately take plenty of pics as this will be my first Bear hunt ever. i will post them as soon as i can. It will be a while though as i am not going till June of 2010, Just made the reservations last week and can't wait to go.   Farrow3240

Offline evodude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
Bear in mind, these .50-95's were nicknamed the 'lion gun' for a reason! Ive read that a lot of them went over to Africa to hunt the big cats, and I doubt anybody would carry one of these against one of those if it wouldnt do the job!! It would anchor a bear or elk in short order. Im going to pop an elk this year with mine, and take a picture in sepia with elk,gun,and myself for the wall! ;D

Offline evodude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 08:06:20 AM »
One thing I did was to add a peepsight to my Chappy for a little more accuracy out at 150 + . I wanted something that was quick and easy, and wouldnt hinder getting my hand around the tang for a quick shot. This mounting fits the bill perfectly, and didnt cost an arm and a leg. I fashioned it after the peep thats on my Winchester Model 71- seemed to be a good idea. Gives you another use for that dust shield! Check out the pix. ;)

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
That looks great! Does the cover wiggle a bit when retracted? As I recall mine had some "slop" to it when in the rear position, but I'll have to check later to see for sure. Nice looking setup - and it can be fired with the cover closed too - or it the cover permanently rearward with the peep sight on it?

Offline evodude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 07:30:56 PM »
Ive shot it both open and closed with the same point of impact to check. My dust cover rides on the rail smooth, but if it were loose a strip of tape on the bottom side of the cover would snug it up. The neat thing is that you can pick up the sight for under 20 bucks at Brownells. Its a Williams peep for a 96 mauser. ;)

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »
Is that rear sight adjustable for windage and elevation?

Offline evodude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
In mounting it flush with the dust cover, I sacrificed any elevation adjustment, but it does have a windage adjustment screw on it. Lady luck was shining on me when I went to the range, though, my elevation was perfect with the factory front sight. If you had to control elevation, you would have to just change out the front sight for a higher or lower one. Mine shoots 2-3'' high at 50 yds and 4" low at 100 yds. I havent tried it out farther than that, but the aperature hole is generous, and you can hold over by raising the front sight a bit in the rear peep view to increase yardage. I like the set up so much Im going to eBay my Marbles tang sight on my 76 .40-60 and put one of these on it as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com