Author Topic: 1861 Springfield Rifle Accuracy Problemz  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Itchy Triggerfinger

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1861 Springfield Rifle Accuracy Problemz
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:33:13 AM »
I bought a used unfired 1861 Springfield and shot Minie Balls thru it with 777 and 60 grain load of FFFg Kik Black Powder.  When I shot at 50 yards the 777 was not very consistant, but I could shoot a 5" group with the black. 

When I went to 100 yards I could not even tell where the bullets were hitting they were all over the place.  I wrote this on another wire and had a guy say he had the same experiance.  He already tried what I was going to try the Lee Wadcutter like Modern Minie.  He said the original Minie worked the best.  He sold his gun after 6 months.   :P

What am I doing wrong?  I cleaned between every three shots.  I used bore butter as a lube.  I tried putting a patch below the Minie.

If it is the gun, what Minie Ball period correct Union front stuffer do I look at?

Itchy

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1861 Springfield Rifle Accuracy Problemz
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:13:12 AM »
Just for a comparison, try it with 50 gr. FFg and minie ball.  Try filling the base with lube.  It is possible that the FFFg is deforming the skirt.  If this does not show any improvement, you very likely have a rifle with a questionable barrel.  Then you can go for an aftermarket replacement from one of the custom shops, or a barrel liner. 

You might also check the muzzle to see if the crown is damaged.  If this is the case, it may be something as simple as recutting the crown to get it going.  Many of those were damaged using the steel ramrod and whacking the sides of the bore.
Lots of luck.
French Jack

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
The "Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual" has some pictures of hollow based minie with flared based due to excess pressure.

I have an 1853 Enfield repro. I molded the minies for it using pure lead and a Lee 575-500M mold. I lubed the grooves and filled the base with Crisco. And 60 gr. Goex FFg. This combo would keep shots within a paper plate at 50 yds. (if I did my part), and most of the shots inside a paper plate at 100 yds.

It isn't what I'd consider a "tack driver", but it would serve well for defending Marye's Heights or Cemetery Ridge.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:46:49 PM »

Offline Itchy Triggerfinger

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
Yep, when I used 777 and Kik FFFg I think I was deforming the bullet.  I was getting an ok placement at 50 yards.  I am thinking this is cause the bullet was spinning quickly.  The margin of error increased as the bullet slowed and caught the wind at 100 yards.  I can't afford to get some FFg right now, but plan to get some.  I am going to back off on my loads and see if I can get better consistancy at 50 yards then move up to 100 yards.

Gonna try loading the base with Shortening as well.  I was lubing the sides of the Minie with bore butter.

I have read about shimming the mold to make the projectile a might bigger . . .  I am looking into round ballz . . .

This is a research project in the works.

Itchy

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »
Itchy-- the rotational speed of the bullet decays extremely slowly.  The velocity does drop, but very likely not as much as you would think. 

In regards to shimming the mould, I don't recommend it.  The hollow base of the Minie expands to fit the bore.  You might leave off the patch or wad under the bullet.  It will get trapped in the base, and the bullet will be erratic.

Patched round balls might work well, it's worth a try.

French Jack

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »
Itchy
Have you tried loading 55 grains of kik , are the bullets pure lead ??? Did you get on the NSSA sight . These are the people who can help you they have to get there rifles to hit at 100 yds . some can hit a 4 inch piece of towel .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com