Author Topic: 45/75 Cimarron '76 Review  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45/75 Cimarron '76 Review
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:40:49 AM »
Had a chance to shoot my 45/75 28" BBL gun over the weekend. Loaded with 350 gr SPG lubed bullets over Pyrodex and some over T7. Both shot extremely well and although we didn't do any paper targets (it was 15 degrees and 30" of snow where we were!) both loads consistantly hit a 6"x6" square 3/8" metal post section at 75 yards. Function was flawless except for the loading tube kept sliding forward under the barrel from recoil. after 10 shots if was about an inch forward of the muzzle, and feeding was sticky when that happened. I have since replaced the pin with a slightly larger one - we'll see if that holds it tighter. I'm not particularly fond of long barrels, but this gun balances out so nice I hate to cut it down to my 45/60 gun's length of about 24". It genuinely looks like a vintage 1876, and I'd hate to lose that nostalgic feature. Next time we'll be using the Goex BP loads! I used that in my TD 45/70 loads, and I couldn't believe the difference in sparks coming out the barrel!  ;D

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 45/75 Cimarron '76 Review
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
I found that I could get 76 grains of Swiss 1½ BP in my 45-75 cases so I loaded up 5 and shot them nicely.  They shot so good that come spring I am going to Chrono them to see what they are doing.  I was very impressed at the grouping that I got at 25 yards along with the loud bang and thumping recoil.  Come to find out, in browsing some of the comments, one fellow found that some of the original factory loads did use 76 grains of BP so it is not something out of the ordinary.  Leastwise I had fun and the cases used were fire-formed 50-90 cases which are in the same catagory as 348 cases for strength, durability and dependability.   ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:40 PM »
I'll have to go and check which cases I loaded for this outing. I had both 348 and 50 Alaskan cases that I reformed, but never looked which ones they were. That's a pretty hefty load of powder - no wonder they bark!  ::) I have no quams about the accuracy with mine. Were it a deer or black bear I was stalking, the job would have gotten done   :-*

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:55:51 PM »

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:57:04 AM »
I'll the you what!  It is a hefty load and makes me wonder what sort of animals those Mounties were shooting those loads in those carbines of theirs after a day on the trailning range.  At least I know that I had fun but to use that ammo like they did?  Well, if I were a wrong-doer of dastardly dirty crimes, I would think twice.  A great load!.  ;D
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com