Author Topic: New Cimarron guns at Shot Show  (Read 27051 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1244
New Cimarron guns at Shot Show
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Thought some of y'all might like a sneak preview at some of the new Cimarron products that will debut at Shot Show next week.  Some of these were "rumors" but samples from Uberti arrived today. 

I hurriedly took a few pics today, sorry the quality of the pics aren't great, and I didn't even have time to wipe off the shipping grease.  I am posting links instead of putting the photos into this post so they can be bigger to show a bit more detail. 

First, the Uberti 1876 NWMP carbine:
1876 NWMP #1
1876 NWMP #2
This was copied from an original belonging to Mike Harvey (as was the current '76 rifle).

Next, the Uberti Colt Burgess rifle:
Burgess #1
Burgess #2
Burgess #3
I was particularly interested in this one because, like a lot of folks, I had heard of it but had never seen a photo of an original.  The buttstock, forearm, octagon barrel, and sights all appear to me to be identical to a '73, but the receiver is much smaller, very similar in size and overall shape to a '92.  The loading gate is interesting, it does not push inward but rather slides forward (spring loaded).  This is not a toggle link gun, no carrier.  The round feeds at an upward angle on a sort of ramp.  I have no idea how strong the action is compared to other guns.  You can feel it "locking up" just before the lever closes.  Did not have a chance to run any dummy rounds through it.

Keep in mind that these are samples, so you can't go order one and get it next week ;D - remember how long it took to get a Type II Richards after it was first shown at Shot Show?

A few other new items for Cimarron will be a "Rooster Shooter", which is a Model P with orange-ish finger groove grips like the Duke's.  I haven't seen this as the grips (made by Bar-S, the Tru-Ivory folks) are to be delivered to Shot Sow.  Also, since EMF is no longer imnporting Ubertis, Cimarron is picking up the '75 and '90 Remingtons and just received one of each for Shot Show.  Oh yeah, the Evil Roy Model P in stainless steel is another new item.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  I'm not going to Shot Show, so I'll be checking the message boards to see what's new from other companies.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: New Cimarron guns at Shot Show
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
Wow.  That Burgess is neat!  How's the lever stroke compared to a 73?  Bringing a couple with you to Winter Range for us to take a look at?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »
I wasn't paying attention to the length of the stroke, don't think it was too long.  I would think they would want to take it to WR to show.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:17 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:56 AM »
Abilene will you be going ? I'd like to look you up  :)

I have Mossy Oak to set on Monday the 12 th. and will be on site as well as show days ..
...................................................................................
"Keep in mind that these are samples, so you can't go order one and get it next week  - remember how long it took to get a Type II Richards after it was first shown at Shot Show?"

Yeah... I still haven't got one !   :-[  ...Ordered Feb. of 06 based on the projected Summer 06 arrival,
saw and handled one at Shot 07..... 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
Major 2, I must assume you are waiting on a .44 or .45 with 5 1/2" barrel.  All calibers are in stock now in 8", but only .38 in 5 1/2". 

No, I'm not going to the show.  I don't travel as much these days for Cimarron (mostly just Mule Camp) because of scheduling conflicts with my other job.  Don't miss Shot Show much, never had a chance to leave the booth and go see stuff.

By the way, Pistol Packin' Paula is going to be there, twirling her new engraved Model P's at the booth.  I'm guessing she'll put on several shows a day, like Joey Dillon did a few years back.  Her bad wreck when she tried to miss the deer was one year ago today.  Glad to see she's mostly healed up and able to perform.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 07:58:04 AM »
Ah... to bad

Offline Sgt. Jake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
Major 2, I must assume you are waiting on a .44 or .45 with 5 1/2" barrel.  All calibers are in stock now in 8", but only .38 in 5 1/2". 

No, I'm not going to the show.  I don't travel as much these days for Cimarron (mostly just Mule Camp) because of scheduling conflicts with my other job.  Don't miss Shot Show much, never had a chance to leave the booth and go see stuff.

By the way, Pistol Packin' Paula is going to be there, twirling her new engraved Model P's at the booth.  I'm guessing she'll put on several shows a day, like Joey Dillon did a few years back.  Her bad wreck when she tried to miss the deer was one year ago today.  Glad to see she's mostly healed up and able to perform.
    Abilene    If I understand correctly the 5 1/2" barrels in 44 &45 colts,have not come in yet. My 64,000 question is ,are they actually going to produce any of them,your best guessis all Im asking.Thank You very Much for keeping us informed   !!!                        Adios  Sgt.Jake

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »
In what caliber will the '76 carbine be offered?
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 10:50:36 AM »
Mossyrock, this first '76 carbine is in the "correct"  NWMP 45-75.  Can't say for sure if it will also be offered in the other '76 calibers but I would expect so.

Sgt. Jake, the very first Type II's that came in were 5 1/2" (can't remember if .44 or .45, I think .44), but everything since has been 8" until some 5 1/2" .38's in the last shipment.  There had been quite a buildup of the backorder waiting list by the time those first ones came in so they didn't last long.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
And yet I can't get an S&W first model Russian.   ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »
Abilene, what caliber was that Burgess in? Can't remember, but was that particular model ever offered for sale by Colt?...........Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 12:49:26 PM »
Mossyrock, this first '76 carbine is in the "correct"  NWMP 45-75.  Can't say for sure if it will also be offered in the other '76 calibers but I would expect so.

I sincerely hope it will at least be offered in 45-60, given how much easier it is to deal with that caliber (not to mention, I already have brass, dies and ammo for the 45-60).  Here's something to chew on......can you imagine a '76 SRC in 50-95?  YOWZA!!  :o :o
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:31:08 AM »
The Colt Burgess is an obscure design at best. I think Cimarron would be better served with a S&W American clone or a 1st Model Richards.

Abilene, I still Mike Harvey needs to lay down the law with Uberti and have them change that atrocious SAA 2nd style cylinder release on the '75 Remington back to the original Remington style which Uberti made initially in the early 70's.  ;)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »
The Colt Burgess is an obscure design at best. I think Cimarron would be better served with a S&W American clone   ;)

..... or a first model Russian.  (Same gun, different caliber.)  The American used a 200 grain outside lubed heeled bullet (much like the moden .22 rim fire).  The Russian used the famous .44 Russian round with a 246 grain and an inside lubed bullet, an extremely accurate combo in the right gun.

The Russian ammo is easier to find and easier to reload.

IM not so HO, the American/ 1st Russian with 8" barrels is the most elegant-looking revolvers ever made.

The Burgess IS obscure, but obscurity hasn't prevented a lot of other obscure (or non-existant) guns from being produced and sold: Experimental Henrys with side gates (maybe a dozen total specimens known), 'trapper" model Henrys (a very few examples), SAA with "bird's head grips (very few...as in 'none produced by Colt'), cartridge conversions for almost every conceivable percussion revolver (Patersons?), iron frame Henrys (less than 300 originals, none with color case-hardened frames), brass frame '92s (no such critter), and a host of other guns that were scarce as eyebrows on eggs.....not the mention the "new" non-Henry Henrys.  I won't even mention (HMMM! I guess I just did.) the humongous array of Confederate revolvers (of which I have several) which were originally produced in the dozens or few hundreds or the ghastly LeMat monsters (less than 3,000 imported).

The big Smiths were common and well known, but aside from the Schofields (less than 10,000 total production), a few poorly thought-out and presented New Model Number 3s, and that incredibly butt-ugly 3rd model Russian with its brush-snagging trigger guard hook, the Smiths have been ignored.

Calibers in non-original sizes I can see, and sights are easily changed by the owner, but I can't imagine why a well-known, very popular, and fairly common gun isn't available.

There were almost 29,000 Americans made and over 25,000 Russians made (About 5,100 for the civilian market), for a total of better than 34,000 total guns running around the country by 1875.

SOAP BOX MODE OFF.

I'll take a pair in nickel plate with 8' barrels chambered for .44 Russian, if you please.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Jrw8214

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 02:08:58 PM »
I agree. Id love to have a pair of Americans aswell. I think theyre the best looking out of all the S&W top breaks. And i think the barrel mounted latch is superior to the frame-mounted one on the Schofield.

Also i think its funny how places that sell Schofields put John Wesley Hardins name in with other famous gunmen who supposedly carried them. As far as i know, Hardin's S&W of choice was the American(hence why i want one).

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 02:43:24 PM »
"....iron frame Henrys (less than 300 originals, none with color case-hardened frames)), "

Photo's of case hard finished Iron Henry's have shown up... rare but they did & do exist  :)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »
I believe there were roughly 6000 burgess' made making them about as common as an open top in the old west. I dont know if they were case hardend though. I heard they will only be available in 45colt the first year. That sucks. I'd also be thrilled if cimarron did away with the cylinder release on the 1875 remington and the hammer saftey and offered it in 44wcf. And since I dreaming, I'd also like to see the 1873 carbine offered with a damn 20'' barrel, and an all blue 24'' with round barrel. It seems the rarest originals turned out to be the most popular replicas. Thanks

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:53 AM »
FortyRod,

Who makes a conversion for the Paterson?   ???
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Millington did...he's on to other projects now, and the wait was quite long as well as sticker shock.
Beautiful work though
His site had a photo of one he did...But when I tried his site an Airsoft retailer popped up... :-\

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »
I believe there were roughly 6000 burgess' made making them about as common as an open top in the old west. I dont know if they were case hardend though. I heard they will only be available in 45colt the first year...

That's a good point about the prod. #'s. Word is that it's going to be .45 Colt & .38 Spcl. only.  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com