Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 780016 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1260 on: February 06, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
I told you guys how beautiful she is. One picture says it all! It just goes to show what a small world this is. Who would have ever thought that a B17 that had been in Fort Worth for 30 years would wind up in a Museum in Virginia that you guys visit.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1261 on: February 06, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »
‘Course I’m tickled to have ‘er here ‘n I agree, tiz a small world. Just that I want ‘er inside when they ain’t out joy ridin’.  They got it they’re gonna fly it. In my head, I see ‘er in the new hanger with a few ‘friends’. Some scaffoldin’ beside ‘er so folks can climb up ‘n look inside.

Tex, just let yer friends know what I wrote. She couldn’t be in better hands. They gottah sense of humor too. Somewhere, they found two old, rusty dinosaur statues ‘n they stuck ‘em out front next to the sign.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1262 on: February 06, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
That's a gorgeous plane Pop.  You don't see many pictures of the late war fuselage in stainless.  I'm with Arcey, I would love to be able to give 'er a good lookin' over.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #1263 on: Today at 08:42:12 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1263 on: February 06, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
I got a couple of e-mails from Mrs. Hospers, who is the former owner and the namesake for the aircraft. Her husband, Dr. Hospers called her that and it stuck. When he acquired the aircraft, he decided to name it after her, "Chuckie".  She is really a neat lady and she really appreciated the info that I forwarded to her about "Chuckie".  They are in the process of gathering up all the B17 stuff in the hangar and getting it ready to send to Virginia.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1264 on: February 06, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
Leo/Tom - Chuckie is polished aluminum, not stainless.  SS would be waaaay too heavy.

It'a a VERY high grade of aluminum, of very high strength, then coated with an anti-corrosion solution and later polished, if not painted.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1265 on: February 07, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »
Leo/Tom - Chuckie is polished aluminum, not stainless.  SS would be waaaay too heavy.

It'a a VERY high grade of aluminum, of very high strength, then coated with an anti-corrosion solution and later polished, if not painted.

I should pay more attention when I am typing.  Thank you for correcting that.  ;)

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1266 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:09 AM »
One of the CAF units disbanded and returned their assigned aircraft(an A26) back to the HQ in Midland. There is a rumor that the plane could be hangared at the Vintage Flight Museum and another CAF outfit could take over the sponsorship. That sounds interesting and there are a dedicated group of volunteers at the Museum that are anxious to start a new priject.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1267 on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
I (personal opinion) think the A26 is the second coolest twin-engine plane that was used in WW-twice; the coolest being (again IMHO) the Mosquito.

My FAVORITE wasn't used, the war finished before the 2 or 3 units that were in training, but not assigned to combat status:  the Grumman F7F Tigercat.  There are several flying these days but they never saw combat until Korea.  That F7F in fighter configuration was an awesome beast!  4 caliber 50's concentrated in the nose (like the P38, also a VERY cool twin) and 4 20 mm's in the wing roots!  That's a $h.tload of destructive power, put in a machine that would go damn fast for a prop plane - over 400 knots!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1268 on: February 08, 2011, 07:16:28 AM »
SHB, I wonder if there are any of those Tigercat's left in world to restore. The CAF needs one for the collection. I don't  think we have any P-38's anymore either. That Tigercat was the first twin engine fighter that the Navy adopted, if my feeble memoery is correct.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1269 on: February 08, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »
SHB and TL

In 3008 there were three flying Tigercats at the Reno Air Races.   Alas I didn’t make it to the races that year to see them in person, here’s a link to a video of it:

Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1270 on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
Russ T, That was a great video. Yep, the CAF needs one of those Tigercat's and to get another P-38.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1271 on: February 08, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
I'm a little late on the draw here, but TL - there are 6 or 7 in the world at this time - but I don't know if there are any "loose" ones waiting for re-build.  There are a handful here in the States and one in Duxford, England.  I know how we feel about them (Wiki) but Wikipedia has them listed by owner and where they are as of recently (or) as recently as the piece was written for Wiki.

I'm sure that it'd take amazingly mucho dinero to keep one flying, let alone restoring one.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1272 on: February 09, 2011, 12:38:42 AM »
SHB, That sounds like a project for Mr. Cavanaugh. Spent 3 million on rebuilding the engines on "FIFI". The video was cool. Did you see the video of the 3 Bearcats flying with 2 of the Hornets of the Blue Angels flying in formation?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1273 on: February 09, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
Yep, saw the video.  And I saw others where the jets had be be at full flaps-down to get enough lift to make the "slower" flights happen!
 ;)

That in itself is funny since we tend to think of P 51s, Bearcats, etc. as "Hot Rods" but the jets have "issues" flying SLOW enough to make a good flight!  Just a matter of perceptions, I guess!  That ... and physics & the principles of lift!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1274 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
It was incredible to see the guy that was one of the first group of Blue Angels pilots.  He looked great to be 90 years old. It looked like he really enjoyed climbing back into the cockpit of that Bearcat.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1275 on: February 09, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »
I'll bet!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1276 on: February 14, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
Here's one to check out.

http://www.twaseniorsclub.org/twavideo/twastratoliner.html

Only 10 made and look at the leg room and amenities.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1277 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
That looks like the civilian version of the C 46.  The CAF had a C 46 at one time named "China Doll". It has since been sold. I think the military called the C46  "Commando"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1278 on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »
Here she is getting ready to fly.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1279 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
Leo, I don't recognize where the video was shot. It sure ain't Midland, Tx.  We ain't got that many mountains in Texas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com