Author Topic: H&R Officers Model Trapdoor ..sight change  (Read 14831 times)

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
H&R Officers Model Trapdoor ..sight change
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:05:59 AM »
HI gang
I am wanting to change out the tang sight which is on my H&R trapdoor. It is the officers model and comes with a 'basic' tang sight mounted on a metal base.
I have made a initial inspection and can't seem to figure how to remove te sight so I can install a upgrade . I will need to remove base and all.
Appreciate any help
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: H&R Officers Model Trapdoor ..sight change
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »
Remove the stock - it all becomes clear after that.

Most shooters of that particular weapon would mark their own zero and work from that known point - but installing a different sight or eyepiece is an option as well.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
Tks St. G. I'll have another look at it .
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:28:55 PM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »
Dutchy,

Use a punch and knock out the pivot pin to separate the ladder from the base.  The flat spring will now fall out & you can remove the screws that hold the base on the stock.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:57:03 PM »
Fingers..
Worked well , got it off no problem. Thanks appreciate it.
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
De nada amigo.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:18:12 AM »
so whitch sight did you chouse
how did it work out
pictures
i too considering changing my sight on the offercers model
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:37:33 AM »
Hi Red
I bought a short range Creedmore . The distances I will be shooting are all between 100-250 yards . The original tang sight was pretty basic with no distance marks , so I hope this will be a bit better.
I haven't done much to it as yet . The original I did get off thanks to site information from here.
I'll keepya posted.
 It should be an interesting job , I know most will chuckle at this as being pretty basic but considering I have about as much mechanical ability as a burnt match ...I am looking forward to my results!!

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
How are you going to mount the new sight Dutchy?  Grind the new ladder to fit the base; or inlet the new sight base into the stock? 

I have a Lee Shaver sight ladder that was ground to fit the officers model base.  Works really sweet.

Fingers

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:33:23 AM »
Fingers

You have described my two options . I would much rather to not have to take any more wood off the stock . I was thinking of either filing down or using my Dremel tool to take down the ladder base. That is the option I am looking at .
 My tool bench is rather limited but I do not mind working with a file and have a good set.

Thanks for watching
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »
Dutchy,

I found that filing the new, more accurate ladder to fit was a more palatable solution than hacking (my usual procedure with wood) on the stock and irrevocably changing [ruining] it.  That way, I can reinstall the original ladder and return the rifle to 'original' condition if I decide to sell it (which will probably never happer; but,...........ya never know); and sell the modified ladder seperatly.

Regards,

Fingers

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »
I'll toss this into the mix, for you to ponder...

The original Officer's Rifle also had the then-current rear sight of the standard Infantry Rifle.

This rear sight was mounted along with a Beach front sight - but sometimes, the front sight was also just that of the standard rifle, depending upon the individual Officer's wishes.

The sight base features an 'R', and in practice, it's both fast and easy, since you're not fiddling with an aperture, but using the buckhorn.

These complete rear sights are available through a number of sources - requiring only polishing and re-bluing to better match that of the rifle and then the necessary drilling and tapping for the screws.

On the H&R Commemorative - when placed in the appropriate position, the bottom of the rear sight occludes the very tops of the lettering on the barrel.

Just one more damned thing to think about...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 05:08:41 AM »
St.G and Fingers
I looked at the thought of adding a bbl sight but decided to try the new tang first. I do like the look of having a rear sight on the bbl and think if all goes well with this first step I'll do just that.
I am I think set on filing the ladder and attaching to the original base . There is not a lot of metal to remove .
Thanks gain.. I hope to give this a whirrl this weekend , been off my feet for a week with some adjustments being made to the old pump  but all seems to be settled in that area so I guess I can get down to the gun room by tomorrow.
Will keep ya posted.
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 05:29:39 AM »
Hi guys
Got the sight on , tried to match it to the original base but no luck . So I did the 'hack' job.
heading to the range to day  to give it a go.
Thanks again for the posts

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline hooey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »
I have a H&R Trapdoor Officer's model as well and would like to install a rear site on the barrel. Where would I find one (like the original rear site) and is that a "tap and screw on type site," or does it have to be attached in some other way?
Thanks

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 06:57:05 PM »
I got mine from VTI , call Jim or Lisa and check what they have . Also a good web site . Just search VTI Gun Parts. It was a tap and screw style . The tang sight is a Creedmore type ( mid range )  as I don't sjoot much over 200 yards with it .
Good Luck

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline hooey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply Dutchy, did you purchase the rear sight for the Pedersoli trapdoor carbine? Have you shot it since you installed It? I haven't shot mine yet; just how accurate is the rifle?

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
USA437   Pedersoli Rear Sight (Trapdoor Carbine) , this is the one I ordered. To be honest I don't use it much. Just liked the look of it . I mostly use the tang sight . Tell them what model you want it for . I have used VTI on several occasions and found them to be excellent as to service..My opiniion anyway.
As for the rifle itself , I didn't have much luck with the tang sight which was on it . I just replaced it with the Creedmore type and have had just one range trip with it .
I am shooting a 490 grain tapered point bullet over 50 gr of 2ff Goex and I LOVE the way it punches  so far. From the bench my second and subsequent shots all hit dead and I mean dead center! Wish I could say the same for off hand!
If I hold steady and do my part it is a joy to shoot. . I'm heading back to the ranger to do some more tomorrow or on thew weekend and am hoping for just as good results.
As I said I don't shoot over 200 yards on our range , Most of my shooting is at 100 to 150 yards.
As I'm no Sgt. York that's good for me .. ;D

She doesn't like to get dirty and with the BP I pull a bore snake every couple of shots. Keep it moist with some moosemilk . My bullets I lube with SPG.
If I can I'll post a few pics of the targets.
Remember this works for me ... can't say for anyone else.But I do think you will like the rifle.
Enjoy
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline hooey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 08:55:58 PM »
Thanks again, don't wanna be a pest but which creedmore site did you replace the tang site with? (model no. manufacturer, etc.) and was it a direct replacement or was there some gunsmithing involved?

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »
Not a problem , pass on what I can........

RS-CREED-3-WE Creedmoor Vernier Tang Sight, for Mid Range competition, with 3" elevation and windage, plus true Vertical alignment . . . $64.95

If you check this on the Track of the Wolf web , catalog it gives a bit morer info. Not a real expensive sight . If you are looking for some pinpoint shooting you may want something more. But it suit me and my pocket book!. I put it on myself , not a good idea. But if you are handy at all it can be done . I tried to just file down the base of the ladder to fit the  original base on the rifle but couldn't get the spring to cooperate so I inlet the complete new sight base. I had to use wood screws instead of the metal ones which came with the sight.
 As I said it works for me .

If there are any others reading with more experience or info ...please jump in..
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com