Author Topic: Big 50 buffler harvest  (Read 2779 times)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
Big 50 buffler harvest
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:36:49 AM »
The owner of a local buffalo ranch offered to sell me another of his older breeding bulls that had been
pushed out of the herd. I've been wanting to try my rebarreled 16 lb 50/90 on a real buffler so last
Friday we went to harvest him. He was grazing in a pasture in a hollow, I set up on a hill with cross sticks
and used a range finder, it said 124 yds. When he turned sideways I let the big Sharp's go, he spun 90 degrees
and ran straight at me, after 4 steps he stopped and wobbled and turned sideways again so I put another round   
in him (it's amazing how fast you can reload with an 1800 lb. buff coming at you). He never took another step and
was down in a few seconds. When field dressing I found the first shot grazed the back of his heart and took out both
lungs, the second shot went through the lungs and wouldn't have been needed but I wanted him down as quickly as
possible.

Gun used; Pedersoli Sharp's rebarreled with Badger extra heavy barrel 50/90
   Load; 648 grain bullet in 45/1 alloy on top of 95 grains Swiss 1 1/2
    BTB now ONLY 19997 behind J. Wright Mooar

Born 110 years too late

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Big 50 buffler harvest
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:05:41 PM »
Congratulations!

You're one of a select few who have taken a real Buff with a real Buff Gun.  Even if it wasn't the old type of hunt.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:56:13 PM »
  Way to go Billy, your a lucky pard to be able to pull this off, I was in the meat business for 45 years, and I use to sell exotic meats to customers that wanted it, Buffalo was the most popular of them all, the meat has micro nutriants, and are very good for you, just as is all wild game meats, Marlin Brando was one of my bigest customers, and use to come in from his own Island and stock up on all the wild game I had.
   By the way, Great avitar picture, it' makes the rest of yearn for the hunt. ::) :o 8)

tEN Wolves  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:05:14 PM »

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 07:12:33 AM »
Way to go BillY! I would have liked to watch that, Have to change undies when you got home? I know I would have with a beast like that headed my way! ;D How 'bout posting that picture a little bigger?
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com