Author Topic: Question regarding R&D Conversion Cylinder  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question regarding R&D Conversion Cylinder
« on: November 01, 2008, 09:23:09 PM »
A recent conversation with a pard at the unloading table started a line of thought in my head.  This has now generated a new question, which I'll ask of you folks.

Would it be possible to magnetize the back plate of an R&D conversion cylinder so that it sticks to the cylinder and doesn't fall off as easily?  Are there "hidden" negative consequences, etc?

Enquiring minds wish to know...

-- Nighteyes

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question regarding R&D Conversion Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:33:09 PM »
Magnetizing a backplate might help a little, but it is made of 4140 or 4150 steel alloy, and won't hold a magnetic charge as well or as long as low carbon steel or iron, and the magnetism could screw up the firing pin's operation.

I've been using R&D cylinders in a half dozen guns for 10 years, and have never found a need for added retention, load 'em, replace the backplate and insert it, everything stays together.  When you remove the cylinder to reload it, you want it to come apart easily.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com