Author Topic: Military rolling block  (Read 6095 times)

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Military rolling block
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:23:11 AM »
I have a gun shop that has many military rolling blocks in it. These are of foreign countries, swedish and belgium I think. What would it take to convert to a caliber of easy to find brass, (ie) 45 70 or such. Also some of these are rim fire, so that would need to convert. I think there may have been a few .43 spainish, but the rest were 11mm x 47r , may have that wrong been awhile since I was in there. Any ideas on cost and feasibility of a project like this.
BSJ

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Military rolling block
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
If a rimfire, the block will have to be converted by bushing and manufacture or purchase of a new firing pin.  Parts can also be purchased to change the block to one for centerfire.  Most will accept cartridges based on the 45-70 head size with no problem or modifications.  For one in .50 cal., you may need to obtain a replacement extractor.  Barrels can be replaced with no problem, cost will vary according to make of barrel, and who does the replacement.  A typical investment for rebuilding one to a readily available cartridge, with a new barrel, etc. is going to be close to a grand or more.  Depends on your wants.
French Jack

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:37:40 PM »
I have a friend who did this...I think his started life as a Swedish (licensed) Rolling Block that had started as a similar project to what you described.

He picked up this other pard's project and it already had a .40 Cal. quality barrel threaded onto it, but without any chamber cut, yet.

What he ended up with was a beautiful rifle with beautiful CCH Receiver and parts (although I would have had the receiver milled with flats to replicate a Sporting Roller).

BUT...by the time he was done, he had a few years and about the same amount of $$$ invested in it that he could have afforded a custom built rifle by someone like Lone Star Rifles (and easily afforded a Pedersoli etc.).

I think if it were I, I'd just buy that custom built rifle to start with.

Often these well intentioned gun projects can really get out of hand if they're not carefully pencilled out in the beginning.

Just sayin...
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:34:42 AM »

Offline John Taylor

• Top Active Citizen
    • Taylor Machine
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »
Green mountain has tapered octagon barrels for $265. Run about $120 to thread and chamber ( square thread ). Extractor cut may run $20-$40. dovetails are $15 each and crown is $20 in my shop. http://www.johntaylormachine.com/
Blue will run about $100 at Mel Doyle's gun shop, 208-686-1006
http://www.treebonecarving.com/id10.html has wood.
John Taylor, gunsmith

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:43:24 PM »
boot strap jack,

I have done this myself (well, commissioned the project and did what I could myself). Started with a .43 Egyptian RB action, had a 34" Badger No 1 heavy oct fitted and chambered to 45-70, bought all new wood (incl SG buttplate and pewter foreend tip) and a new set of sights (1 1/2 sets if you count the rear barrel site). Including the sights (and they were over $500) I have about $1200 into it. I did all the wood to metal fitting and a friend did the metal machining and action work. I put a rough blued finish on the metal to "replicate" an old 1880's RB sporter. A good friend (I consider him a RB expert, he will tell you different) when he first saw it, thought it was an original sporter. Made me feel good about it.

You should (IMHO) limit yourself to one that is already a centerfire round, just makes any hammer/firing-pin alterations unnecessary. You can reuse the buttstock and fore end if you are at all handy. Sights are another animal - get the best you can afford. My Rolling Block was an enjoyable project to do and I would do another if so inclined (I've just got other irons in the fire right now). It shoots good, feels good and doesn't beat me up during an all day session at the range.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »
Well thanks for the info, I added the links to my favorites. Wow talk about making me drool. I seen the rolling block of my dreams. I guess I need to save a little while longer. Thanks
BSJ

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 09:44:10 AM »
Both the Swedish 12.7x44R and Danish 11.7x56R are very easy to load for as is - so long as the Swede has been converted to CF, which most have.  Cases for both are readily available and I have found that I can load the 11.7 mm with .45-70 dies and the 12.7 with .50-70 dies.  No need to chop up a perfectly good military roller.  If you want a new barrel look for an unbarreled action or a junker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com