Author Topic: Wyoming Books?  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 641
Wyoming Books?
« on: September 17, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »
We're planning to make another trip to Wyoming next summer, so I'm doing a little reading in preparation.  I'd like to find a good book on the Johnson County War.  I read Banditti of the Plains, which was interesting.  Has anyone read anything that includes newer research?

I read Blood on the Moon about Tom Horn, which was interesting too.

I'd especially like to visit some of the exact places where some of these events happened, but I'm not sure how to find the spots...

Any hints would be great.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wyoming Books?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »
Hello Coal,

It does not go into detail, (but mentions the Johnson County War), but "The Virginian" is a great book if you have not yet read it.  My Wife and I stayed at the Occidental Hotel in Buffalo WY, where Owen Wister stayed while he was writing the Virginian.  Soooo, when we went to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center's bookshop, I picked up a copy.  It is a very good read.  Enjoy Wyomin', we sure did!

Happy Trails,

Panhead Pete 

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
Well, I've read The Virginian a number of times--it is an all-time favorite.  It got me reading more Wister stories and I casually collect them.  Most are out of print, so when I see an old book, I try to buy it.  It helps that he was good friends with my favorite president, Theodore Roosevelt (The Virginian was dedicated to TR).  We're hoping to go to the Medicine Bow area, where The Virginian was set, on this trip.

Last year, we stayed at the Occidental too.  Through a series of unfortunate circumstances, we didn't enjoy that particular night, but it wasn't really the fault of the hotel.  It also made a humerous story to tell later.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Actually, its about time that I read that book again!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:24:48 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
 Pack of Lies by Jack Gage is a good one. Full of first hand accounts, and gives a good telling of the JC war from both sides.
 Most of the places of note in that mess are on private land and not particularly accessable. Stop in Kaycee and look around some, but be careful of what you say , that war never really has ended.

Wind River Adventure is an interesting book that details a young fellers coming of age and growing old in early Wyoming.
 Sinners and Saints is a pretty good account of things going on around early Laramie.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »
Pack of Lies by Jack Gage is a good one. Full of first hand accounts, and gives a good telling of the JC war from both sides.
 Most of the places of note in that mess are on private land and not particularly accessable. Stop in Kaycee and look around some, but be careful of what you say , that war never really has ended.

Wind River Adventure is an interesting book that details a young fellers coming of age and growing old in early Wyoming.
 Sinners and Saints is a pretty good account of things going on around early Laramie.

I guy I use to work with hunted the ranch where Tom Horn supposedly shot the Nickell boy.  There were still strong opinions as to his guilt on both sides and strangers best be careful who they said what to..

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »
Yup feelings still run pretty strong over there in the Sybille country on that Tom Horn deal.
 Was sitting with Chip Carlson when he was signing the Blood on the Moon books over at Wheatland , and it was amazing how many folks from both sides of the issue stopped by and bought or had Chip sign the book.

Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:37:51 PM »
Thank you, gents.  I have heard that this can be a touchy issue for some.  I was certainly careful when we were in the area last summer.  I just find the history to be very interesting (without taking sides).  I like to understand the issues and events involved and I would love to stand on the ground where these events took place.

I'll be looking for those books and I'd welcome more suggestions.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com