Author Topic: New Gun Display case  (Read 14209 times)

Alabama

New Gun Display case
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:42:19 AM »
Here's the new display case I built for the LeMats . Worthy guns for such a case . It is Clear Fir with all the extras !  ;D
Notice the Octagon wood handle I made up to match the Barrels . It has weather stripping to keep the dust out and breather holes installed under the Royal Red Velvet for proper air .
A truelly fine case and a fine brace of revolvers . Jeb is smilin in his grave today and so is LeMat  ;D

That's the proper way to store your guns , what you got ? Please show  , I love picture shows obviously  ;D

Alabama

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Gun Display case
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »
Nice case. But if it were me......I would stain the frame and use brass screws inside. But this is from a guy who is too lazy to build anything!
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Alabama

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »
Hee hee hee ,
yeh brass screws , your right , they are gonna get swapped out . Good catch there thanks .
Stain wood ? Are you nuts !!!  ;D That's a crime beffiting a fireing squad in my opinion . I figure , buy the wood the color you want it , not stain it to look like the wood you can't afford or did not have the patience to work with . JMHO Stain , NEVER .  ;D
Clear Vertical Grain Fir is beautiful and VERY expensive , but I like BLONDS anyway  !!! Not all wood has to be Walnut people . It's ok to evolve , it is the 21st Century you know .

Alabama

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:37:30 PM »

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »
Alabama
I agree, but sometimes you can’t afford the wood the kind of wood that has the grain and color you want.  :'( :'(  I have a desk I built out of solid birch and birch veneer.  Stained it ‘cause I wanted a Black Walnut desk.  Same with my wall mounted rifle rack (had to match the desk!)  So please don’t get a rope!   :o :o ;D
I also love the color a good piece of wood with nothing but a good oil finish on it.  I have several oak shelves, my wife’s chevron-doored spice rack, that have nothing but an oil finish on them.  The oil just lets the color of the wood come out.
Your  gun case is beautiful, and I love the design!!!  If you are going to swap out the screws for brass, try and find oval head Phillips (not an easy task).  I think it would add a tiny bit of pizzazz to it.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Alabama

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:20:25 PM »
Haven't seen many oval head phillips screws Russ T. Chambers , especially in brass in my lifetime ? Maybe I may get stuck with slotted oval heads but thats cool too .
I never entered the thought about expense on the staining idea you all have , I guess a black walnut desk would cost a few thousand compaired to many hundred for nice Birch . I will save the noose , this time , for better hangins  ;D Ha ha ha .
Just kidding anyway about the hangins , but I don't use stain , ever . But then again I am stricktly talking guns here and cabinets , not desks . But I am afraid to say I wouldn't stain a desk either . Good Birch is $4.95 sq. ft . Walnut is double , I would just suck it up and save for it . But , I do understand finances , and I do understand why people stain wood, I just do not do it , that's all .
Plus I really like Blond wood too , and sometimes prefer it on arms and cabinets to dark woods . I hate covering grain patterns with stain . Dark stain or not it changes how the finish lays and the depth and everything else about the woods characters .

thanks for the comments and compliment though ,

Alabama

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:17:18 AM »
Actually, with the deep blue of the revolvers, i would use blued slotted screws.  The revolvers don't have any phillips head screws in them and the case should match them!  Golly yes, I sure am opinionated! :o ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Alabama

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:25:32 AM »
Golly yes Dr. Bob ,
yes you are opinionated , I love every minute of it !  ;D
It is quite entertaining at times might I add !  ;D
Good idea on the blued screws by the way ?????? Now my ears are smokin trying to decide which to use now ??? I am steering towards brass just because all the brass furniture , but the blued look could be nice too ? It's too early in the morning for this kind of decision .  ???  I better fondle my coffee some more before I make a notch-cogg in my reality that has such a great impact on society  :o Yeh right  :o Hmmm , more coffee  ;D

Alabama

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 10:35:18 AM »
Just to keep the ears smokin’ ::) I agree with Dr. Bob.  Slotted oval head screws deep blued would look just great.  Because they are on the inner frame work, I don’t think they would conflict with the bass furniture on the outer frame.
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Alabama

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »
Gosh dern it , you guys are probably more right about that than I am  :D
Now, to order some from Brownells or make my own , ears still smokin !!!!
I have some steel slotted screws too , just got to blue-em up ??? Hmmmm ???
I think I may try a blued one and a brass one and see which " I " like ?

Thanks for frying my brains with my eggs today .  ;D

Alabama

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »
Just be nice, and show us pics of the end result! ;D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Alabama

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »
Tried um both , like the brass better, they are iinstalled already too  ;D Busy guy here I don't mess around much when i am ona missiona nd my brain is on fire from desicions to be made .
I went with brass because it looks better with the brass and plastic tubing covered gun hooks I fabricate to hang the revolvers with in my cases . Will get a pic soon of it , it looks allot nicer, thanks for the insight guys , I don't see everything and its nice to have some feedback . When you close the door to the case teh brass crews blend in with the whole scheme now and they also look great with the Blued Copper Colt flask and the Springfield flask too .

Sincerely, Alabama

PS... When I take the pics of the Old Silver Engraved 58 I will shoot this case again too.

Alabama

Re: New Gun Display case-updated
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »
Here it is with brass screws like I siad I would post .
I likeeeeee much better , and they honestly looked better than blued screws that I tried .

Alabama

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
Alabama
Looks great!!!!!
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Alabama

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »
Thanks Russ T. Chambers  ;D
Darn that allias cracks me up everytime I read it , you and Bull Schmitt make me smile everytime I talk to ya . ;D
Bad picture , but you get the jist of the brass screws anyway am sure .
It looks nicer in person , God knows I spend lots of hours in that gun room just looking at the past , and those are some of my favorite revolvers now to think about about how it used to be back then .

Alabama

Offline Snidervolley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »

beautiful work on the case

i had to build a case for mine as well using left over flooring to keep cost down

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
Hee hee hee ,
yeh brass screws , your right , they are gonna get swapped out . Good catch there thanks .
Stain wood ? Are you nuts !!!  ;D That's a crime beffiting a fireing squad in my opinion . I figure , buy the wood the color you want it , not stain it to look like the wood you can't afford or did not have the patience to work with . JMHO Stain , NEVER .  ;D
Clear Vertical Grain Fir is beautiful and VERY expensive , but I like BLONDS anyway  !!! Not all wood has to be Walnut people . It's ok to evolve , it is the 21st Century you know .

Alabama

Personally I'd use slotted domed head steel screws inside and blue them.  Go to polished brass  slotted flat headed ones on the outside.  If you want it to look really classy "index" all the screws so all the slots are lined up the same direction.  (Fairly easy in wood, but a four-square, diamond-studded star-spangled bitch in steel.)

But that's just my personal taste.

BTW, you did a right fine job over all.  
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Mad_Dog

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »

beautiful work on the case

i had to build a case for mine as well using left over flooring to keep cost down

Case is purty, but yegods, what is that gorgeous firearm?  Where do I get one?  How many children do i have to sell?

-Mad Dog

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 10:38:42 PM »
Wow! A Lemat carbine. 9 shots+1 shotgun barrel??? I want one, I'll load the shot barrel with a round ball for the 10th shot and use it for CAS!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 11:21:06 PM »
Hey Alabama,how much to make me a couple?????? Pleeeeasssse :) :) :) :) :) :)

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
Case is purty, but yegods, what is that gorgeous firearm?  Where do I get one?  How many children do i have to sell?

Snidervolley made his Lemat carbine himself using the action from a reproduction revolver!  He may have posted about it here in Cas City, but here is a thread on British Militaria Forums - http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/15568/lemat-carbine
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com