Author Topic: Another Boot Question  (Read 4765 times)

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 641
Another Boot Question
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »
I have what I think might be an unusual question regarding boots.

I’m trying to figure out a historically accurate boot option for my situation.  A few years ago, I was involved in an accident and my left leg was amputated at the knee.  Now I wear a prosthetic and, when I’m wearing long pants, most people don’t notice that anything is different. 

The difficulty is that I can’t point my toes to put on “normal” boots.  I’ve thought of slitting a pair of boots at a seam and making some kind of invisible closure, but I hate to go cutting on expensive boots.  If the heels are too high, that could cause problems too. 

I’m wondering if any kind of lace-up boots were in use during the ‘70’s-80’s.  I’d like to go for the cowboy-turned-lawman persona.  (I thought about going for the "stove-up" cowboy look with a 19th century prosthetic, but I can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be!)

Thanks!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Another Boot Question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »
folks wore lace up boots, and damm anyone that would challenge your foot wear pardner, just get out there and enjoy shooting with the rest of us...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »
Many people wore lace up boots in the old west.  Even cowboys.  I have a picture of a bunch of cowboys setting on and around a deadfall a good share of them had on lace ups. 

I almost always wear some type of lace up boot.  Sometimes Durangos and others Justins.  I remove the kelty (the fringy thing that is on the bottom lace of ropers and they look very period.  I refuse to wear leather soled boots because we mostly shoot on grass and after a couple of knee surgeries I don't want to risk a slip.

I hope this helps.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:05:06 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 476
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »
www.civilwarboots.com/enter.html?target=dept_1.html&lang=en-us

The above link show some good alternatives. If their Italian 1912 shoe was in canvas and leather it would be a spitting image of the 'camp shoe' popularized in the Civil War. There was one company producing a decent 'camp shoe' but I have misplaced their site for now. I'll look for it.
Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Wards were offering deck shoes (i.e. canvas tennis shoes with rubber soles) in the 19th cent. Check the catalog reprints for a typical pattern.
Also, check out: www.stacyadams.com/shop-sa/mensShoes/classic/madison/prod00015.html
Their 'Madison' boot has been around since the 19th cent.

See Missouri Boot & Shoe item # EN-2 about midway down this page:
http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/id10.htm

www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com/servlet/Categories?category=1861-65+men%27s+shoes+and+bootees

Above is the reference for the camp boot/shoe, plus a style of pull-on low boot called the 'Congress'-style that is also historically accurate alternate footwear.

Enjoy.
RCJ

p.s.
If your prosthesis does not bend well enough to get them started into traditional high boots, might consider the pseudo-Cathedral stitched boot that The Fort Western Store has been selling a lot of. They look like they are Cathedral stitched, but actually are constructed of separate panels with elastic relief panels in between them, so it allows the entire calf to open up wider. A real boon to the people with husky calves and ankles, but might also make it easier for you to slip on and off.
It's called the Gore Top Mule-eared Shooter's Boot, about middle of the page on the below link.
http://www.fortwestern.com/store/home.php?cat=216
Contact either Delmonico or Terry Lane in here.
RCJ

p.p.s:
Coal Creek, you sound like a great candidate for N.C.O.W.S. ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »
Hey, Griff, welcome to the fire. I can almost commiserate, I'm missing a toe from my left foot and wearing a "half shoe" thing on my right foot so a wound on the bottom can heal up. At least I don't need crutches... yet ;D

Boots aren't the only option, there are also Army shoes, bootees, brogans, whatever you want to call them. They're ankle tall and lace up. Lots of them were made and worn out before, during and after the War of the Rebellion. It should, I think, be pretty easy to get one of them on your prosthesis. I recommend getting in touch with these people and giving them a chance to help you out:

Fugawee Corp.

Mattimore Harness

Robert Land Footwear

Whoops, I just noticed River City John has already given you a link for Mattimore Harness and Robert Land. Let me just say, they make really nice boots and shoes. And RCJ, thanks for the link to Stacey Adams Shoes, they look really good.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »
Thanks, gents!  You guys are great--I appreciate the responses.  That gives me some direction to go.  I know that people are very forgiving of me, but I feel better when I am most authentic.  For example, even though I love the hat I'm wearing in my avatar, I replaced it with a more authentic (to the older time period) one since that photo was taken.

RCJ:  I wish there was an N.C.O.W.S. posse in my area.  I'm more interested in authenticity than in playing the game.  I'm afraid that I'm just too busy to start one...

Coal Creek

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »
RCJ:  I wish there was an N.C.O.W.S. posse in my area.  I'm more interested in authenticity than in playing the game.  I'm afraid that I'm just too busy to start one...

Oh, man, welcome to the club, so to speak. Baltimore is a long way from the nearest Posse. I may get so desperate that I'll go and see how much interest there might be in starting up an NCOWS Posse at the local shooting range. From what I can gather, though, someone tried to start up a SASS group there and the idea met with yawning apathy. Well, like they say, you can't win if you don't play.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »
Coal Creek, you sound like a great candidate for N.C.O.W.S. ;D

No kiddin'.  ;)

I commend your commitment to authenticity.  I'm just starting out, but can attest to all the folks' good advice offered thus far. 

Whether there's a NCOWS org nearby or not, there's nothin' that prevents you from gettin' in the spirit.

Welcome.  And good huntin'.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:24:08 AM »
I am in NCOWS, without a posse within sight!

I have been told that there is no sin at all in a SASS member being historically accurate in his presentation. 
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Cliff Hanger

• Citizen
    • Cliff Hanger's Hideout
  • Liked:
Another Boot Question
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 12:59:04 AM »
I found some articles on boots and shoe of the time period. The articles addressed "Did cowboys really wear boots?" I placed them here.

http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/gazette/nov06.html

http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/gazette/sep06.html

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »
That's very informative.  Thanks!

BOLD #921
BOSS #196