Author Topic: Soule sites  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Soule sites
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:40:22 PM »
Howdy Gents

I'm new to Long distance shooting, and just bought a Pedersoli Sharps Business Rifle, I haven't picked it up yet , this coming Friday will be the day, and I can hardly wait, I've had the Pedersoli Soule Midrange Sites installed along with the Spitit Level Front Sites, I'll probably be having a lot of questions as I go along , but I would like to ask if anybody knows if you're supposed to remove the rear Soule Site when it is not in use, my barrel rear site is removed and I will put a dovetail plug in that spot when I get the gun, so the Soule Site will be my only rear site, so is it ok to just leave it on the gun or is it better to remove it when not in use and put it back on when needed, I remember seeing in some of the old westerns where they pulled out there Sharps Rifle and installed there sites and then made there shot , I don't know if those sites were Soule or tang ,vernier or Creedmore.
      So if any of you Pards have any thoughts on this , it would be much appreciated.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Soule sites
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
T. W.,
Unless you are a whiz at installing springs and getting the detent slot in the right spot every time without pulling out all your hair and spewing epithets at any creature who asks what you are doing, you have no need to take it off, that is pretty much pure Hollywood. Of course, there are some that do, but by and large it ain't needed.
I have a Pedersoli with the rear ladder sights still on as there is no real need to remove it unless it is in the way of your sight plane with the tang sight. Mine has a Parts Unknown Mega Soule tang sight, I simply lay it back on the stock when I'm done cleaning and then put the whole thing in a hard case strapped in with velcro. If you only have a soft case then simply put a thick sock over the sight and lay it back on the stock, this will absorb any bumps, etc. A hard case is worth the investment and they can be had in many styles from plastic to Aluminum at whatever price range you feel comfortable with. Hope this has helped.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »
 Just leave the sight in place. As long as you always run the eyecup to the bottom of the staff and lay the sight back over the stock all should be well. Taking it off and on will surely end up with lost or stripped  or otherwise damaged screws.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:19:02 PM »

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »
Howdy Gents

Many thanks to OL Gabe, and Ranch 13, I had a feeling this would be the answer, but just needed a cosigner, I'll leave them on and make sure the eye cup is put to the bottom of the ladder when folded back on the stock for storage, I'll also use a heavy sock to help cusion it, I bought a soft case, but I have a good friend of mine thats  building a couple of hard cases, and one will be for me , so that should work real well.                                                             

Thanks again Pards

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »
I don't even move the eyecup.  I don't know about all sights, but mine has a rubber "bumper ring" around the eyecup.  It lays back smartly.  My sight is a Lee Shaver Midrange Soule sight with the Shaver Hadley Cup eyepiece.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »
Howdy Steel Horse Bailey  ;D

Long time no talk to, I have the Hadley Apriture eye cup too, and from what I'm seeing through it , I can't believe the site picture is so good, I don't even need my glasses, in fact I can't see as well with them when using this Hadley eye cup, years, ago I have a Winchester 1894 in 25/35, and I got it used in 1965, and it came with a peep site mounted on it, and this rifle was deadly accurate, but like a dummy I took it off and put a semi Buckhorn on it, and it never was as accurate again, but the Buckhorn was faster in the brush. I made some site covers to put over the Soule site and the Spirit level front site on my Sharps that should protect them, and when there off and the rifle is put in the case I put a small piece of deer skin under the cup.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
Howdy, 10 Wufs!

Nice sight bags!  Did you do the bead work?  I won a rear sight cover at last year's NCOWS National Shoot as a door prize.  It's very basic, but is made of Elk.  It's unbelievably light, supple and tough!  My pard GW made it.  It has some border beading that he did, but I wish it had some more - like yours!

Those Hadley discs seem expensive - right up to the time one of us old-timers ... geezers ... more experienced types tries to use it.  Then ya find the right size hole for your eyes and it instantly becomes worth the ca$h you had to pay for it!

Keep yer powder dry !
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com