Author Topic: I ain't skeered of Annie's Skillet no more!  (Read 45279 times)

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I ain't skeered of Annie's Skillet no more!
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2005, 10:03:04 PM »
I haven't made any apple butter yet, But, I am making sourdough hotcakes in the morning....

cc

Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »
MMMMMMMMMMM!  Hotcakes!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2005, 10:35:54 PM »
With home made maple syrup...and whipped butter,

I'd say ya'll come by, but boy I would be in trouble ifin I had a house full of hungry cowboys and not enough fer em.....

cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 02:30:45 AM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »
So, ifn I understand co-reckly, you get us to salivatin' and then tell us ya ain' got enough so we ain' invited????

Downright COLD  :-[

;)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2005, 11:32:04 PM »
I ate one jar up in about 3 sessions, on fresh, hot from the oven sourdough biscuits with lots of real butter.  Savin' the other jar, gonna make a bunch more and share with GG if he brings my shotgun back. ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2005, 11:46:24 PM »
Del
Sometime, could ya share me your Sourdough biskit recipe..I'm not real fond of mine...
thanks
cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline gophergrease

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2005, 11:53:59 PM »
Dont do it Del, he'll tell ya how good they turn out but not ask ya to eat any with him. ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2005, 12:07:53 AM »
I've got it posted over in the Brimestone forum, but I't wouldn't hurt to drag it over here.  But ya got to promise not to tell yer Cardy-oligist where ya got it if he finds out. ;D  Remember my        Cho-lester-all runs in the low 90's and my BP runs about 110/55. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2005, 02:35:42 AM »
Dang quit yer braggin, my b/p is fine but the cholestoral is still too high....I am working on it. Eating a lot of salad during the week. Splurgin on the weekend...

And I sure would have you all over to a feast, but, it is a long drive, Not that my cakes arent worth it...
That would be a kick wouldn't it..

anyways nite to the camp, i's hittin the bedroll
cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2005, 02:51:57 AM »
Curly,

At least you did not hit the numbers I did, my doctor recomended that I not go swimming, I could be harpooned and rendered.  They have got it back under control now, so maybe I will take up swimming again.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2005, 09:57:17 AM »
The down and dirty (did I say that) way of makin' sourdough biscuits, the way cosie would have done it on the trail drive or roundup.

Sourdough Biscuits

4-5 handfuls of flour
a pinch of salt
2-3 pinches saleratus (baking soda, sodioum bicarbonate, NaHCO3)

Mix in bowl by hand

lump of lard the size of a medium chicken egg

Work into dry mix till mealy

Add enough sour dough starter to make a slightly sticky dough. Work just enough to mix, over working will make them tough.

Flatten dough by hand on cutting board, cut with tin biscuit cuttert or a tin can with an end removed. Place in pre-heated 14 inch shallow dutch oven, let rise about 5 minutes and bake about 15 minutes in a hot oven (bout 400 degrees) till nice and brown.

Some of the best food in the world is sourdough biscuits. Thow some meat and cheese on them, ya can make a better meal than any fast food in about 20 minutes using the oven at home. Use canned corned beef and some cheddar cheese and ya gots period correct fast food. Don't be afraid ta add some stone ground mustard and some ground horse radish.

Some good bulk sausage and a can or two of canned cow will make a wonderful meal also, gravy and biscuits is good food.

Shave some sirloin steak, slice some onions, grill in a cast iron skillet, thow some grated cheese in just before you are done and ya got "Cosie Cheese Steaks" on sourdoughs.

If yer personna is late 1890's ya can throw some peanut butter on them, but folks might think yer sick cause it was developed as invalid food.

Put some real butter on them and some sorghum lasses and ya got dessert. If your local store ain't got sorghum lasses, go somewhere else cause they be heathens.

If ya can't get sorghum lasses the slap some honey on them fer dessert.

Here's how I do the starter:

For those who live in an area that does not produce good wild yeast for sourdough starter I offer this solution. Got to a store that sells wine making supplies and buy a package of Champagne yeast, it makes the best starter I have ever used.

The reason it does so well is it is very alcohol resistent. It does not weaken or die out like bread yeasts do. Modern bread yeasts were developed to do there best making yeast breads not sourdough staters.

With a temp above 70 degrees in the kitchen (inside or outside) this starter will raise yeast bread in about or only slightly longer time than using store-bought yeast. I never add any yeast to my sourdough breads, it ain't proper. A cup to a cup and a half of good starter will raise as much bread as store-bought yeast. Just use any yeast bread recipe and leave out the yeast, ajust the liquid as needed. If the recipe calls for milk in the dough, just used canned milk.

There is really no best way to start a starter or feed it. I just use flour and water, others use potato water, milk or other things in starting and feeding starter. Just remember sourdough likes carbs, don't put sourdough on no Atkins diet.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2005, 11:34:20 AM »
With all this talkin' about food on this site, I'm going to blow up to 450 lbs!!!

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2005, 12:06:33 PM »
Del, I may just have to try that SD starter just to experiment with........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2005, 05:42:18 PM »
Del
Thanks for the recipe, will have to give 'em a try. Had my cakes this am. The sponge was real happy, after I mixed everything in this morning and started some sausage, the batter was to the top of the bowl, had to stir it back down...not bad...None of you guys was knockin at my door, so guess ya couldn't fing my house...

My cholestoral is supposed to be lower than yours. I was plumbed out last year. Anyways I am working on it. Like you said to day I have to keep working on my pep...

cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2005, 08:58:25 PM »
I'm home. I'm tired. I don't like driving on ice. I really don't like driving on ice when I see a set of headlights coming my way, in MY lane! It was slippy, slide-y, fish-taily for a few seconds there, but I didn't hit the car, nor the one coming up beside me, nor run into a ditch.

It's good to be home. Don't mess with me. I may use something far stronger than the skillet tonight.  >:(

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2005, 09:44:45 PM »
Maybe this wouldn't be the time to start discussing Virginia maps.........Buck 8) ::) :o :-[ :-\

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2005, 09:56:50 PM »
Buck, I've been searching and there is no current record of a town of Caroline anywhere in Virginia, not even in Caroline county. As much as I want to help, I may not be the person for you. I work during the week and can't make the calls that need to be made, and a lot of the Historical Societies aren't open on the weekends. I'll help where I can, but it would be slow going and piecemeal.

:(

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2005, 10:38:52 PM »
That's okay, Annie. I was poking around some sites today. found some early maps,circa 1859,, but couldn't see it either. I even had trouble finding Lancaster Co,! Even went to a USGS site and couldn't get that name to pop up either. Did get into the shed and find the book. Some of the dates didn't match for the info from Mich., so back to square one there as well. I've got about nine in that family in Virginia and 7 of them say Caroline, Lancaster, 2 say Giles. which I assume is Giles Co.. did finally find Lancaster on the old map, but no Caroline. Don't feel bad.....Buck 8) ::) :o :-\

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2005, 11:36:33 PM »
<Suddenly a voice soundin' like a bad imitation of a SSB transmission from a Mercury Space-Shot breaks in.>

"I'm up in the Cosinero Saddle-Lite again and I may have found Caroline Virginny  Somebody has built a bunch of Urban stuff up and planted a big bunch of trees that are limitin' my sight.  I don't have a road map of Virginny handy, mine is at work.  Is Bowling Green anywhere near the search area? 

I am gettin' ice here again and have lost my connection a couple of times.  But I know where I found it.  I'll find it again and bookmark it as I go.  If you don't hear from me again tonight I either lost connection again or burnt up on re-entry. :o :o ::) ;)  But I think I have somthin' but out in the grasslands it is much easier. ;D  Save the Prairie, cut down a tree on Arbor Day. ;D  <Over and Out>
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2005, 12:03:16 AM »
Miz Lee
Glad yer home safe and somewhat sound....drivin on ice is much like a "pig rollerskating on glass..."

Settle in and get warm and comfortable....

nite, I'll stoke the fire for ya
Curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com