Author Topic: 100 Questions For Oldtimers  (Read 147843 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 100 Questions For Oldtimers
« Reply #520 on: September 04, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Arcey you have to challenge him to a pillow fight over that.  :o   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: September 04, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Naw. He’s a pard ‘n like yerownself, one has ta take the Kalifornia air ‘n TV watchin’ inta account. Ain’t no thing.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: September 04, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
All of were young once, Leo. We felt that it was our sworn duty to drink all the distilleries dry.  Well, Leo I learned about the time you were born this was futile. "A mans' gotta know his limitations."
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #523 on: Today at 12:14:18 PM »

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: September 05, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »
TLD iz right Leo, age and experience will teach you that we only have to drink enough to make sure the distilleries keep the supply lines open!  ;D

Unless, of course, you're Irish, in that case your swimming pool is a Vat of Bushmills!  ;D ;D
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: September 05, 2008, 06:45:13 AM »
LIT, Just how big is that swimming pool? Will there be enough to last through the winter months?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: September 05, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
I'm Irish all right.  Bushmills was a favorite.  Used ta win bets descerning a shot of Bush from a shot of Jameson.  Could tell by the color but had ta do the taste test just ta be sure ;)

On further reflection on the Canadian incident, it weren't Mist that got us that night.  It was another Canadian called Black Velvet.  Me an Arcey was just foolin with one another ;D

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: September 05, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »
Leo, You need to stay away from that Canandian crap. That stuff ain't even good for cough medicine.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #527 on: September 05, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »
Sometimes ya gotta play through the pain.   Ol #7 JD ain't bad, neither is Gentleman Jack.

Myself when I did, I liked George Dickel and BJ Holiday, found them both in the Great Jack Daniels shortage of the late 70's.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: September 05, 2008, 06:16:12 PM »
Canadian Mist. My choice. Gottah be a man ta handle it.

Almost fell in the lake one day 'cause of that stuff, was way out on a log tryin' to get my lure back. ;D  Would a had to swim back, if I'd stood up I'd got stuck in the muck. ;D

Them hybreed Tiger Muskies were bitin' and that was my last red and white spoon. ::)  One of our fisheries trys to make fishin' good, were about 10 inches long and a ball on 2 pound test. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: September 05, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
Ahhhhhh, man! We’d find Blues surface feedin’ on the bay. Cast a Hopkins out. Open face reel. 4 pound test plastic ‘n a 6 ta 8 pound fish. Breathe on the drag ‘n SNAP! Seemed like it took all day ta get the suckers close ‘nuff ta gaff. Almost to the boat ‘n ZING!

Some kindah fun. Didn’t wanna try that drunk. Ya’d wind up in the water. 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: September 05, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »
Ahhhhhh, man! We’d find Blues surface feedin’ on the bay. Cast a Hopkins out. Open face reel. 4 pound test plastic ‘n a 6 ta 8 pound fish. Breathe on the drag ‘n SNAP! Seemed like it took all day ta get the suckers close ‘nuff ta gaff. Almost to the boat ‘n ZING!

Some kindah fun. Didn’t wanna try that drunk. Ya’d wind up in the water. 

Most of my fishin' been done with 2 lb test, liked the Berkley XL for day and the yeller Sten after dark.  Don't know if either is still made.  Got onna the old French (Capitalize French when talkin' fishin' reels) 308's and a 5 foot graphite that is a bit stiffer than limp Spa-getti.  Bluegills, Crappie, and other sunfish is what we fished most for round here.  Used to make trips west about 300 miles for the trouts, need to again.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: September 05, 2008, 07:23:39 PM »
Crappie was a lot of fun. Laid back. Some educated fool thought it would be good to raise the salt concentration in Back Bay. Killed ‘em off.

Still have my gear. 6 ft. Ugly Stick with a Shimano reel. Like werkin’ the rod with my left hand ‘n the reel with my right. The Shimano was the first back then ya could swap from right ta left handed. Rod was intended for salt water, a l’il stiffer than the fresh water rods.

I was kinda partial ta Stren.   

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »
Man we used to have some good Crappie fishing when I was growing up , over at Ft. Gibson Lake,  the limit was 37 each person, you'd limit out every time ya went and not just the little ones, caught one  in about 1972, won the local Wal-Mart biggest Crappie caught that year, weighed 3 1/2 pounds, won a new ugly stick with a Diawa reel,  really lightweight rig. used it for years catching crappie. you could feel him bump the line almost.  ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »
Big Crappie. Ours went a pound or so. Used a closed face rig for those. Don’t remember what it was. Loaned it to someone then he moved to Florida. Ain’t seen it since.

I remember takin’ one off the hook. Reached down ‘n pulled up the stringer. It just kept comin’ out the water with fish on it. I had ta clean them things. Threw the one I’d just caught back in the drink.   

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: September 05, 2008, 07:52:40 PM »
when I was a kid, my Dad always bought Zebco reels, they made em up at Tulsa, if you had one that was giving you trouble, just take it to the factory there and they'd trade you another for it, didn't matter how often you went, no questions asked just take the old one and give you a rebuilt one.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: September 05, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »
Any of you got Rock Bass, just a small hyped up sunfish, used to have them around here, didn't work well, they got them west of here in the sandpits along I-80. some of the better small waters in the state is where they dug the junk out to build i-80, can most times see the fish. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: September 05, 2008, 08:01:25 PM »
Think that’n may have been a Zebco. Remember the rod ‘n reel came together, straight off the pegboard. Mono was already wound on it. It pulled in many a pound of Crappie.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: September 05, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
Heard the name before but I don’t remember the context, Del. N’er been after one. Don't know we got 'em.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: September 05, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »
we went up to the factory several times, got a tour through watched em winding all that line on,  they had a real small place but could sure turn out a lot of reels,  

they name Zebco was always fasinating to me,  the company made bombs in WW2 and was called Zero Hour Bomb Company, when the war ended, the bomb making ended and they sarted making fishing reels and just took the Zero Hour Bomb Company and shortened it to Zebco.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: September 06, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »
OT, That's interesting. I never knew where the name came from. I caught a bunch of crappie on one of those Zebco 33 models.  Fishin' is another thing I'm gonna do when I retire. I don't have a boat anymore, so I'll need to get another one. We've got a bunch of lakes around here, some just 10 or 15 minutes away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com