Author Topic: Tang sight for the model 76  (Read 9582 times)

Offline Asa Smith

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tang sight for the model 76
« on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »
Hello All
This is a question that i am sure has been ask before, but , here it is.
I am thinking of buying a Marbles improved tang sight for my Uberti 76.
What are the opinions on that sight ?
The price seems right and i like the look and ajustments.
I will be using them mostly for hunting, with some target practice.
Thanks for all input
Asa
"Family is what counts, everybody else is just strangers"  Cowboys are family !!!

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Tang sight for the model 76
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
Hi, Asa.  Welcome to the fire! :)

I'll toss my .2 cents into the kitty, and say that I like the Marbles sights.  I have not used one on the 1876, but I do have  one mounted a Model 1894.  Well made, and adjustable for windage.  I think it would be a fine hunting sight and a good general target sight.   
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Sureshot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
Does anyone know if the Marbles sight will fit the Uberti 1876 using the existing holes or does it need to be drilled and tapped? Also which model number will fit it ? Thanks,
Steve

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:39:18 PM »

Offline wdrjr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
991001  screw set 995034

Offline Jubal Wilson

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
Asa,
I put a Marbles tang sight on my 76 and am very happy with it.  My 76 is a Cimmaron/Uberti and the holes are correctly spaced.  I chose to use the Marbles sight for the 1873 Winchester replicas since the staff is further forward and allows more room for the thumb.  There is plenty of clearance between the sight staff and the bolt when all the way to the rear.  When you order your sight be sure to get the longer staff.  My 65 year old eyes can't see regular barrel sights but with the peep sight I can shoot around 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards pretty often.  Hope this helps.
Jubal

Here is a picture of the 1876 with the 1873 Marble's tang sight on it. Plenty of clearance.
Jubal Wilson

When a man loses his dreams he becomes a wanderer in the wasteland of human existence.

Offline Big Zwey

• Citizen
  • "Don't he look funny with that ear ahangin off?"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 05:35:19 PM »
Jubal Wilson:
Was that staff upright the standard upright or the mid range upright? I assume your base number is MAR 991001?
thanks

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »
My reply is much different than those posted before me.  I have used the Marbles peep and their Improved Peep sight ... had problems with both... Marble's sights have a tendacy to toggle or move.  I shoot at 200 yards and if the tang sight moves any you are out of luck at hitting the target.  I tried the Taylor's and Co., DOS 2 sight which is a copy of the orginal Winchester sight, but it is worthless also as far as accuracy, looks good, but that is about all. I tried a couple of Italian made Tang Sights and gave up. The Marble's company did respond well when I told them of the problem, they replaced their sights at no charge for me.  But I still was not happy with them.  I finally forked out the green and went with Kelly Sights.  Best decision I have made in regards to Long Range Shooting.  Kelly Sights are accurate and they also look good on the rifle.  I first ordered the Kelly for my '86 Winchester (Chiappa) and I will be ordering one for my 45-60's also.  Here some pics of the Kelly Sight on my '86.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »
Nice sights....I assume Kelley makes a sight that fits the Uberti '76?
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
Roosterman-

Ifn you want Kelly Sights for the Uberti '76 and or the Chappy '76, you will have to go to Kelly website and send him an email telling Jim what you have.  Send him the measurements (center to center of each hole) between the two drilled and tapped holes in the upper tang.

He will custom make a base for those rifles. His bases that are sold at Buffalo Arms will not fit the Uberti or Chappy '76. He is quick to respond and does superior work. I am more than pleased with his sights.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »
I have to agree with Tom, I was very underwhelmed with the Marbles I tried, way too wiggly in both directions for my taste. For hunting probably ok, but for long range paper or steel, not my thing.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:43 AM »
I don't know which Marbles sight you guys tried, the standard or improved, but my Marbles improved has no wiggle. I have one on my ,76 and my Shiloh Sharps and in both cases the guns are very accurate. I do have a MVA Verier I use for my schuetzen rifles that is a superior sight as the settings are easily repeatable and the adjustment is finer. Of course the MVA sight is 2X the price of the Marbles so I would expect it to be a higher quality  ;D
 Of course you could just put a high quality old timey style telescope on and solve all your troubles....works fine on my schuetzen rifles!
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
Roosterman-

I had both the Marble's "Original Peep Sight", once the sight indexed, it would "wobble", so I ordered the Marble's "Improved Peep Sight", when the sight was indexed, it wobbled even more than the Marble's Original Peep Sight.  I sent email to Marble's explaining the problem.  They sent me another Original and another Improved Peep Sight.  Both replacements when indexed still wobbled... I gave up on Marble's.  Maybe I just happened to get sights that were made on a Monday or a Friday ??? Their Customer Services were excellent... Am glad that you have not experienced the problems I had with their sights.  I have since changed all of my Long Range Rifle Sights to Kelley.  I am more than pleased with their performance and they look good on the lever rifles, the '86 and the '76.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com