Author Topic: Testing Natural Walnut Dye  (Read 41639 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Testing Natural Walnut Dye
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »
Howdy All

Thanks everyone for the kind words, this has been a fun project and a learning one too, Dalton I think you will get darker results if you will leave your leather submerged and do not take it out to dry each day , plus that in, in out and back in is hard on the leather, just leave it in for the length of time you have desided on, and only swish the dye up and turn your leather over or around everyday and thats all. This works best.  ( IMHO )

Marshal Will , I'm glad you found the info. you were looking for I was hoping you hadn't passed it up, I'm happy you like the border stamping.

Johnny Dingus, you guessed it , if you want what ever area darker just use a little more oil, I got this efect by useing a paint brush, with a 1/2" bristles, this way I was able to control where it went and how much I wanted to put on it. But just like the test I did on scrap, it you go 5 days in the dye, then do your conditioning and then your choice of oil, then you can make it even more of a darker brown, by putting it in the sun, but you have to keep an eye on it, or you will get a solid dark brown.  ??? I like doing this , it gives you an antique look, without hurting the leather, and it's pleasing to the eye. ::) :o 8)

Thanks Pards for stopping by and taking a look  ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2008, 05:42:05 AM »
 :)Hey TW,
Mine came out the very same color :o  :) But they realy darken up when you treat them!! I hope to show mine today, just got them done yesterday, belt all done but a little hardware to put on, and havn't made up my mind on what for sure yet!
 I am going to throw a piece of scrap in the tub, and do a 2 day test and finish and see if it is a little more golden, I will let you you all know!
 Great lookin holsters there Pard!!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »
Howdy Gents  :D

I thought I would try my new walnut dyed holsters out on a money belt I made a while back, to see how well the color would go along with the other browns, I think mix and match works well with the browns, so here they are toting my 5 1/2" NM Vaquero's.

Ace, I think your holsters came out fine , and thats your own pattern, you can be proud Pard, the color came out nice, and will only look better with time , LIKE US, ( LOL ) well maybe not that good,  it shows you how deep and dark you can go with this walnut dye , can't wait to see your belt, I know they will look great together.  ::) :o 8)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 06:23:09 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
That mix and match looks good. It's more historically correct, too. Great rig, pard. ;)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Johnny Dingus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2008, 10:36:09 PM »
Darn you tEN wOLVES.

You keep raising the bar everytime you post. ;)
That outfit looks great with the belt.

And now you are getting to be like Mr. Burrows with your staging of the picture. :)

I think the picture is great just wish I had all that creative talent right now.  Instead of having to get better each time. :-[

You know us kids we want it all right now. ;D

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
OK, here's my first shot at dying a full holster. It came out OK. The holster lightened where the pieces touched after I tucked the pouch into the skirt strap. I dont' know what that's all about, but I'll figure it out eventually. It did sit in the Sun for a couple hours initially so maybe that had something to do with it. This was one day in the dye, a coat of EVOO and a coat of Lexol.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »
Howdy Marshal Will,

Looks great.  The color is one that I like a lot!  Nice looking holster too!! 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
Howdy Will,

I think your holster looks fine, if you sun tan, just pull the body of the holster out of the loop, and you will get a more even coloring, although it looks fine the way it is, for only one day in the the dye, you won't get a lot of color, but it did give you a nice tint and an amber glow to it, you did a nice job on making your holster , I like this style for Auto's it still keeps it western.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2008, 06:25:23 PM »
MW,
 That looks great for a one day soak, the color fits the period of the gun! That is what is great about the walnut dye,  one dye can give so many affects! At this time I have only 2 rigs that I want to make! And both are very complects for me, and i have to have my head clear to when I start either one of them!
 I have been in a lot of pain lately with a week of real damp weather, that the moriphine isn't working, and then i take 3-4 vicoden and they make me so sleeping and tired that I don't want to mess anything else!
 i did make me a bowie knife, let me re state that, i bought a bowie knife at a garage sale for a dollar (didn't have a handle, thats why I bought it). I put a deer antler for a handle, couldn't find a piece of brass in this po dunk town so I made one out of walnet, now I am working on a streath for it.
  :( I tell you what is sad, I spent the whole afternoon with cased leather scraps, trying to figure out a border for a moumtain man knife! i guess like writers block.
 Sorry that I got long winded and got off the topic, I realy like your 1911  :o
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2008, 08:37:51 PM »
Marshall Will, variation in color doesn't bother me one bit. I kinda like it matter a fact. The holster turned out great for such a short little gem.  ;) Thanks fer showin' it to us. Yer makers mark is a nice touch as well. You have the walnut dye thing down pretty good, I'm thinkin'!!!

TW, we're gonna have ta pass the hat and gitchya one a those tripod camera things for shootin' cowboys with their darlin's at some a these events. Real nice picture takin'. I like the still life ya set up. That money belt is real nice as well as the rest of the rig that we have seen before. I need a money belt so I guess that will be coming up shortly. Nice set of accelerators, too. Who made them?

Beans and Tacos,

X Horse Pen

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, pards. X-pen, I also like the color variation. It gives a time-worn look without roughing it up any. 10W, you confirmed what I was thinking about what causes the variation. I'll try one the other way soon. Right now, I'm making another one just like it because my cousin came by and claimed that one. ;D I'll do the same tanning method to get that variation. I life the keeper strap off because we're going to use these for Wild Bunch matches. For a hunting or a run-around holster, I'd put the strap on. Ace, the batch of dye I made is like what you'd find in the oil pan of an old farm truck. Almost sludge in the bottom. I boiled those hulls (last year's, dried ones) until they were mush and strained off the chunks.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
Marshall Will, variation in color doesn't bother me one bit. I kinda like it matter a fact. The holster turned out great for such a short little gem.  ;) Thanks fer showin' it to us. Yer makers mark is a nice touch as well. You have the walnut dye thing down pretty good, I'm thinkin'!!!

TW, we're gonna have ta pass the hat and gitchya one a those tripod camera things for shootin' cowboys with their darlin's at some a these events. Real nice picture takin'. I like the still life ya set up. That money belt is real nice as well as the rest of the rig that we have seen before. I need a money belt so I guess that will be coming up shortly. Nice set of accelerators, too. Who made them?

Beans and Tacos,

X Horse Pen

[/quote

Howdy XPen

Thanks for the flowers on my picture taking, it's kind of fun , and it makes things more interesting, and I use my pictures as background on my PC, this way I can study my work , and see wether there is anything I might change the next time, it's also a great way to visit your work, a lot easier than bringing out everything. The eccelerators I got from Colorado Saddlery, in Denver, I looked real close , but I didn't see any beans or taco's, although that South of the Border Silver is dang nice.

Marshal Will  :D

Your holster looks fine just the way it is , I hope you weren't thinking I thought different, the lighter and darker shades will happen naturally in time anyway, just from wear and being in the sun, but if you want to give the color the same start all around, just leave it out of the loop untill your done with the finish, and this same method is good for anything in leather you want to sun tan, unless you are going for that look from the get go. This is one of the nice things about the natural dyes, there are so many ways you can make your leather look. ::) :o 8)

Have fun Pard  ;D

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2008, 09:45:05 PM »
Your holster looks fine just the way it is , I hope you weren't thinking I thought different, the lighter and darker shades will happen naturally in time anyway, just from wear and being in the sun, but if you want to give the color the same start all around, just leave it out of the loop untill your done with the finish, and this same method is good for anything in leather you want to sun tan, unless you are going for that look from the get go. This is one of the nice things about the natural dyes, there are so many ways you can make your leather look. ::) :o 8)
You didn't give the impression you didn't like it. I was expecting one thing and got something else. The something else was actually nicer than what I was expecting. I just wanted to know why it did what it did so I could repeat it when I wanted to. On the second one, I put it in the sun for a short while before folding the pouch into the skirt strap. Then I carefully aligned it with the sun to minimize the area covered by shadows, turning it frequently. That gave a more even color, but still with the nice shaded effect. This is great fun playing with the natural stuff. I know what to expect with this second one so I'll probably try coffee as a second process to see what comes from that. Again, thanks for the help on this.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
I had a rag-tag holster I made from garbage leather to test my Frazier pattern. I was going to toss it but decided to use it to test the coffee dying process. I soaked it for 5 hours and set it in the sun. OK, ever so slight coloration but nothing you'd notice after it dried. I took it inside and put it under a lamp to dry quicker. A little later I smelled coffee roasting. I checked and whoa, did that stuff start turning dark. OK, the lamp was a bit overboard but it was a good testbed. On a decent item, I'll be a bit more careful.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »
Howdy All  :D

I just finished a Johnny McCrae, rifle butt cover for my 1874 Pedersoli Sharps Business Rifle 45/70, Johnny's idea of making a butt covers is top notch,I submerged my leather in my natural walnut dye for six days, and then finished in EVOO and Skidmores Leather Cream.

Thanks for taking a look  ;D

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »
WOW!!  That looks great!  The color is wonderful.  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2008, 05:57:13 PM »
That does look good. Dr Bob is right, The color is really nice. The shading on it works for me. I'll bet that pad is just right, too. Good work. Now, let's see a target... :D

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »
Howdy Pal
Butt cover came out great.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Johnny Dingus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2008, 06:55:43 PM »
Cover Looks real nice Ten Wolves..

Color just right..... :)

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »

Thanks All, for your nice comments, you gotta love this stuff  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com