Author Topic: Request for assistance with a knife sheath project.  (Read 11032 times)

Offline Marshal Tac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Request for assistance with a knife sheath project.
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »
Pards, I have a leather/knife project that is still partially in the planning stages and I am in need of some help/suggestions.

A little explination is in order, so that everyone can understand the situation and sentiment of what I want to do.

Last year, I had a friend named Mike who passed away very unexpectedly. Mike was an avid hunter and shooter. We had a close friend in common that we both hunt and shoot with name John. Mike and John were about as close as two people could be that were not related by blood. When Mike passed away, it hurt John deeply. Just prior to Mike's passing, he and John had planned an elk hunting trip together. This was a very special occasion, as neither had ever been drawn for Elk together and they both ended up with a trophy bull tag in a great unit. They had planned this hunt for a considerable time and were so very much excited to be going. About 3 weeks before the hunt, Mike ended up in the hospital and passed away from a complication resulting from an unexpected surgery. John was devistated. He planned on cancelling his potential "hunt of a lifetime" as a result, due to no longer having a hunting companion. Several of John/Mikes friends, to include me, came together and made arrangements to do what was needed to ensure John went on the hunt and did what ever they could to make it a success.

As a result of this hunt John killed a nice bull elk. It wasn't the trophy that he had hoped for, but it was a successfull hunt that Mike would have been proud of. John had no intention of mounting the elk's antlers due to the cost associated and the fact that it wasn't the size of an animal that would justify it. I asked John if he had any plans for the antlers and he told me he didn't and I could have them if I wanted them. I told him that I had a project in mind and would let him know about it when it was completed.

I took the antlers and used them to make handles of three custom knives. One for John, one for Mike's Father, and one for Mike's 20 year old son, (his pride and joy), who is an active duty Marine serving as an embassy guard over seas. The knives turned out better than expected (I obsessed over them for some time). I had Mike's name and years of birth and death engraved on the blades.  I intend to present these knives to them when I have them sheathed, as a token to remember Mike by, as well as a "trophy" of a hunt that Mike was meant to be there for.

I am now at the point where I want to make the sheaths for the knives (this is the part where you'all come in). I have made general purpose knife sheaths before, as well as a couple for my CAS rigs. I want to make these ones a little more "custom" and am looking for some ideas/suggestions.

I have seen several sheaths that I like the style of, but do not have any patterns. All three knives are of a clip point "bowie" style with a hilt/finger guard that only extends on the bottom portion. I have seen knife sheaths that were made in the style of a "mexican loop" holster, where the body of the knife is laced through slots in the flap of the sheath to create the belt loop, but I have never actually made one of this style before. I thought that this style of sheath would compliment these knives well. I do not do any carving, but can do stamping, basket weave patterns and border stamping, as well as add concho's, etc. If any of you out there have a photo of a knife sheath like I have described, I would very much appreciate it if you could post a photo of it.... (Or a pattern)

I have included a couple of picures of the knives, so you have some idea of what they look like and their size. The sheaths in the photos are ones I just tossed together to have something to put them in, and are not the ones I am wanting to present the knives in. The photography of the knives does not do them justice, but you will get the point of what they look like.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/Tac56/100_0773.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/Tac56/100_0775.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/Tac56/100_0772.jpg

Any assistance/guidence that any of you fantastic leathersmiths can provide would be appreciated.

-Tac
-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Request for assistance with a knife sheath project.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »
I would check out Wild Rose Trading Company's site. Its our very own Chuck Burrows site, and he has some excellent examples of sheaths.

I have to run away for a bit tonite, but will try to post a few examples I have gathered over the years when I get back.

DM

(later that night) Hmm, cant seem to find the file with all the sheaths in it. Grr. Well Chucks tutorial should help ya as far as that goes!

Good luck on your noble cause! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Marshal Tac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
Thanks DM. Chuck's site offered much in the way of ideas. I really like his #6 style sheath. That level of work is phenominal. I could only hope to come close to something that beautifully crafted.

The style I am looking for is along those lines, but more of a "double mexican loop" design, similar to the holster of that name.

By looking at the #6 sheath that Chuck has pictured on his site, it looks to me to be made from 3 peices of leather, the back which folds over to become the belt loop/skirt, the loop that holds it all together and the front piece of the pouch for the blade. Does that seem correct?

Thanks again for your help.
-Marshal Tac
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:38:22 PM »

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:13:10 PM »
ask and ye shall receive - here'a how-to for making a Mex Loop style sheath (which can be adapted to a standard style sheath)

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/mexloop/_mexloop.html

any questions ask away.......I've got a couple of simple retention device ideas as well that are real simple to just make sure........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Marshal Tac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:04:48 PM »
Chuck,
I can't thank you enough... That is exactly what I was looking for! Your tutorial is icing on the cake!
I will let you know if I have any questions.

If no one else has expressed this before, I appreaciate your time and efforts as a resource for all those that utilize this site for their hobby/craft. Your talents and experience is a huge benifit to those of us who are working to get better at this craft. The fact that you take the time to share your secrets and methods amazes me. Most craftsman of your talents these days have little time for people like me.

It's nice to have a "back up plan" too...  ;) If my amature attempts don't get me where I want to go, I know I can order the sheath exactly how I want it from you!  ;D
-Marshal Tac
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »
You're welcome.....

Another option to just covering the blade with the style knife you are sheathing is this variation......

Otherwise you can use a retention device similar to this.......
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Buffalo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »
Chuck
What stamp did you use on the border stamp part on the Cales knife scabbard?
Regards Buff

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 08:39:15 PM »
Can you give me a link to the pic -- I've built a bunch for that gent....(got four more in the works too!)
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Buffalo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 09:00:35 AM »
The top middle one pictured here.
http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/mexloop/_mexloop.html
Thanks Buff

Offline Marshal Tac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »
Chuck,
I wanted to thank you again, and post a picture of my first attempt, after using your tutorial. I think it turned out fine.... Not to the level of expertise that your professional hands can create, but not at all bad for an amatures first attempt. I now have a good idea of what I need to do for the other two knives.

Again, you must forgive my photography..... But I hope you get the idea of how it turned out.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/Tac56/100_0851.jpg

I dyed it black, to match a gun belt that John owns. I am thinking of a brown one for Mike's Father and another black one for his son.

Again, thank you for your support.
-Tac
-Marshal Tac
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:15:08 AM »
Looks good in black, pard. Nice work. It'll be good to see the others when they're done.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com