Author Topic: 1874 Sharps  (Read 13401 times)

Offline Silas Adams Northcutt

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1874 Sharps
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
Here are new pictures of my new 1874 45-70 32 inch barrel Pedersoli Sharps and prairie cartridge belt. The sharps is named Matilda. The pictures are in the website shown.

http://www.freewebs.com/northcutt/matilda.htm

Silas Adams Northcutt

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1874 Sharps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
Your pic link doesn't work.  I had a pet tarantula named Matilda but I named my Sharps "Nemesis"
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »
Now try it Yellowhouse Sam it should be working now.

Silas Adams Northcutt

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:59:46 AM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:58:53 PM »
Here are new pictures of my new 1874 45-70 32 inch barrel Pedersoli Sharps and prairie cartridge belt. The sharps is named Matilda. The pictures are in the website shown.

http://www.freewebs.com/northcutt/matilda.htm

Howdy Silas

I just caught your post, your rifle is BEAUTIFUL, that's just what I've been looking for, is this the Pedersoli Sharps Business rifle, your gun looks more authenic and period than those $3000.00/%5000.00 guns, it just looks real like it really came from this time period, if you would let me know how she shoots, I'm looking to get one like this with a 32/34" barrel in 45/70, and of course I'm sure yours has double triggers.

Hope to hear from you soon  ??? :D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Silas Adams Northcutt
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:26:54 PM »
Good looking rig, Silas. Since we're sharing photos, here's mine.

1874 Shiloh Sharps Hartford - 45-70, 30" heavy oct bbl, steel shotgun buttplate, standard (cheap!) wood,
Parts Unknown LR rear Soule sight and windage adjustable front globe sight
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
Thanks Otter, yours is nice too. Do you know were I can get a steel shotgun buttplate for my Sharps?

Silas A. Northcutt

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
Thanks, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, It is a 1874 Professional Hunter 45-70 Pedersoli 32 inch octagon barrel weighs 10.65 pounds. It was only $1,027.79. I got mine at Buffalo Arms Company. They responded fast and delivery was fast too. As for the way it shoots I have only got to shoot her once put I think see is pretty accurate. After you set the set trigger all you have to do is think about firing it and it will go off, so be careful when you set the set trigger.  The recoil isn't really bad maybe after 5 shot in a row is when you start feeling it. I think with the leather butt cover it should be alright. I seen an authentic picture of a buffalo hunter holding one exactly like the one I got. My Sharps is the best gun I own and I have an reproduction 1866 Winchester. I wouldn't trade this gun for anything.   
                                                                                              Silas Adams Northcutt

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
 Howdy Silas

Thanks for your reply, this is the information I was looking for, I think with a good pad I'll be out of trouble with my bad shoulder, I don't mind a little pain , you can expect that with a gun like this , I just don't want to feel like I left my arm at the range when I go home. Thanks again Pal, Ill let you know when I get it, they say these Pedersoli's are really good shooters, and that's what all about, plus it looks good. :o 8) ::) ;D

hAVE A GREAT DAY  ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
Silas,

You might be able to buy one from Shiloh, but don't know if they would sell one without a rifle attached to it. (I was able to buy a set of their barrel sights for my Rolling Block from them 10 or so years ago.) You could call them and try to sweet-talk Lucinda into selling one . . . I do know that with a shotgun buttplate on mine, I can shoot over 100 rounds in a session with no beat up shoulder. I have done it . . . off a bench . . .

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
Thanks Otter, I will try that.

Silas Adams Northcutt

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:17 PM »
Howdy Silas  :D

Will I'm going to do it, I called E.M.F. today and I'm going down this coming Monday morning to pick out my rifle, it's nice be able to have the pick of of all the rifles their. they're also going to set me up with some good sites, and they're going to ship it close to me for pick up. I can't wait, I'm getting the same one you have, He told me all their Pedersoli's are tac drivers, He said I should go with the mid range site and a global front, site, both should run me $349.00. Which is not bad for quality sites.
    I guess David Pedersoli was down to visit them this week, and he explaned to them how they made their barrels, and the fact the every Sharps he makes will shoot the same, the quality is the same on all of them, the only difference is the engraving and fancy woods they use. It's quit a story , and I'll try to get the whole story Monday.

Talk to you later  :D

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »
Silas,

Treebone has a steel buttplate available. - http://www.treebonecarving.com./id11.html

This is what Shiloh's steel buttplate looks like. - http://www.shilohrifle.com/custom_features2.html#BUTTPLATE

I did check Midway, too, they had nothing in stock. I'm sure there are other suppliers. Or just go to a gun show, somebody usually has a bin full of them. Good luck . . .

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »
That is great Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, hope you find the Sharps that is right for you. My dad got a 1863 Sharps carbine from EMF, and is perfect.

Silas Adams Northcutt

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »
Thanks Otter, I think I will try treebone Carving.

Silas Adams Northcutt

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
That is great Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, hope you find the Sharps that is right for you. My dad got a 1863 Sharps carbine from EMF, and is perfect.

Silas Adams Northcutt

Howdy Silas

Will I pick out my Pedersoli Sharps Business Rilfle today, in 45/70 cal. with double set triggers and a 32" BARREL, Don at E.M.F., put a Creedmore Soule site on it with the level front site with the inserts, I know how you feel now, these Rifles are AWESOME, the workmanship is top notch. I looked at some of the other Sharps they had, I'm told that all their barrels and actions are the same, the only difference is in length of barrel, and grade of wood and the finish. I always thought the Quigley had a thicker barrel , but they don't , just 2" longer, he explaned the difference between the three makers, on how they do their rifleing, Silow does their rifleing useing the button method, it takes about 4 minutes to push this button through the barrel to get the rifleing done , Badger, and Pedersoli, use the BROOCH method, they CUT their rifleing, and it takes 12 minutes to do a barrel, where Pedersoli SHINES, is their polishing , they polish the bore before they do their rifleing and then again after they do the rifleing , and again after they do the blueing, a total of THREE polishings of the bore, and this is why they're tack drivers right off the gun rack, some of the other gun co. guns have to be SHOT IN, which can and does take some time.
     All in all these guns are even better looking in person, their pictures don't do them justice, the metal to wood fit is beautiful and is right their with Silow's and CSharps, the business Rifle that I'm getting is just a meat and potatoes type Rifle, but this is what I wanted , I would also like to have a Billy Dixon one day too, but this Business rifle is ever bit the gun that is turning my leaves green, it looks like it just walked out of that time period in the old west, so now I'm going to have to get going on loading 45/70, this is going to be a lot of fun , and I know will have been well woth waiting for. Thanks for making your first post on Matilda, you really got the ball rolling. I''ll post a picture when I get her home.

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D

• Citizen
    • Northcutt Plantation
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »
That is great, and when you fire it it will be even better. I am planing to put a Malcolm scope on mine but haven't decided if I will or not.  I am also considering on buying the 1874 Sharps Carbine Texas Rangers Model, to go with my reenacting hobby.

Silas Adams Northcutt

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
   Sounds good Silas, that Sharps carbine is a fine rifle, and will be a nice addition to your war chest, I 'll post a picture when I get my gun, gotta wait that 10 days , that scope idea would be neat, let me know what you do.

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 04:49:53 PM »
 :) I havn't got to shoot mine yet, if my brass comes in this week, and the weather is decent, I might go bed it down and run some rounds threw it. Here it is, it is a IAB, i havn't got the front site changed yet, maybe tomorrow.
Later
 ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »
 Howdy Gents

Ace that's a mighty good looken Sharps you have there Pard, looks to have nice wood to metal fit to it, and the wood and checkering really finish it off nicely, your sites are even case harden, another nice touch, and good color to the wood, So when are you going to shoot it? let us know How she does. ;D

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 08:03:18 PM »
Thanks TW :)
 I just havn't decided when I have everything ready! Right now I only have 10 brass, I have bought some online and could be here this week if so Wally set me some bullets to try, so if I get my brass I am going to load them up and then go shoot ;D
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com