Author Topic: Beretta Laramie versus Uberti Schofield  (Read 13954 times)

Offline patrick_ford

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beretta Laramie versus Uberti Schofield
« on: July 05, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
Gentlemen,

I have a great desire to own and shoot a top break style revolver. I have been able to narrow down my choices between the Beretta Laramie and the Uberti Schofield. I am about 80% sure I want the 5" barrel length and I will definitely go with the .45 colt caliber as authentic calibers such as the .45 Schofield or .44 Russian are not available.

I have been able to handle both a 5" and 7" Schofield and definitely think it is a worthwhile design. As for the new model #3 design, I've been able to hold an original which I loved the balance of, but I've never even seen a Beretta version in person. Are they similar at all other than by appearance?

Is there anyone here that has any experience with either or both of these revolvers that could give me their advice/opinion? How do they shoot? Is there any major difference between the two?

I would appreciate anything you all could offer,

Patrick
"Till now man has been up against Nature, from now on he will be up against his own nature."

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Beretta Laramie versus Uberti Schofield
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »
Both have the same basic internals since the Berettas are made by Uberti.  They both have odd grip shapes for anyone accustomed to a Colt SAA.  Both are fine guns, however.  The biggest practical difference is that for some reason Beretta put on a semi-adjustable rear sight on the New Model (Laramie) whereas the Schofield has fixed sights.  This places the Beretta in Modern category for SASS matches.  Most people that shoot S&W style top breaks don't shoot in Modern category, so the Schofield is more popular with SASS shooters.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »
In case you dont already know, you can shoot 45 Schofield in a gun chambered for 45 colt.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:40:35 PM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »
The adjustable (windage only) sight on the Laramie is a nearly exact reproduction of the original "target" sight S&W made available for their New Model No. 3 "back in the day."

Unlike the SAA, whose barrel can be (and frequently is) rotated slightly to correct windage problems, no such adjustment is possible with the break-top revolvers. IMHO, it is very short-sighted of SASS not to permit these revolvers to compete against the SAA style that have often had their barrels "turned" to correct windage.

Alas, however, that is for SASS to decide.
The Laramie IS permitted in NCOWS competition.

The Schofield does NOT have the driftable rear sight therefore 1) It is SASS legal and 2) you take your chances on correct windage or "kentucky windage" if necessary.

IMHO also, the Schofields are usually pretty well right-on  windage-wise.

The other main difference between the two is in the grip shape. I have owned both (no longer have any Schofields) and never was totally comfortable with the Schofield grip (it's all about personal preference).  On the other hand, the Laramie (NM#3) grip feels perfect in my paw. It is so close to the NM#3 grip shape that repro NM#3 grips will fit the Laramie with very little fitting.

Both are fine guns, but the Laramie is far superior TO ME  due to grip shape, balance and overall looks.

JMHO. Hope it helps.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
According to several posts here, the Laramie does not (always) chamber a 45 Schofield cartridge, due to rim thickness.  Beretta also does not recommend that cartridge. This is a puzzle, since the 45 Colt chambered Schofields will chamber the 45 S&W round, and they are essentially the same revolver but for the latch and the grip shape.

Don't forget to try a 44 Russian by Uberti, it has a similar grip to the Laramie, and an authentic caliber to boot.  THey are more comfortable to shoot without the triggerguard spur, however, for me.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline patrick_ford

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
Dave, since my only experience with the grip type found on a Beretta Laramie was from an original new model #3, would you say that the grip is somewhat similar? Being in North Carolina, pretty far removed from any place that would even consider stocking a Laramie, I've never been able to handle one in person...

I've been fortunate enough to handle a 5" and 7" Schofield as well as a 7.5" Russian model. The large knurl on the back strap of the Russian really put me off. It didn't feel nearly as sleek as the Schofield models and the 5" seemed to have the better balanced of the two Schofield models.

I'm not really concerned with SASS rules as I do not shoot in cowboy competitions and I don’t really have a means to in the first place.

Thanks Fellas!
"Till now man has been up against Nature, from now on he will be up against his own nature."

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
The Laramie is the Uberti version of the New Model No. 3.  The grips are very similar.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:02:50 PM »
I have an original S&W Russian, which I purchased gripless.  Uberti Russian grips fit it almost perfectly, and it seems someone on this forum said that Laramie grips fit the S&W #3 (or vise-versa).  Uberti copied the revolvers very closely with the exception of the beefier barrels and topstraps, and the fact that all their revolvers use the Schofield extractor/ejector system.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 06:59:42 PM »
Patrick:

As Pettifogger and Flint have indicated, the Laramie grip is pretty nearly identical to the NM#3.

As I mentioned, I have repro grips made for the S&W NM#3 on both my Laramies. There was very little fitting to do -- mostly needle files and some fine sandpaper.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »
I too have fitted the S & W grips to my Laramie.  I have no, I repeat NO mechanical skill!  If I can do it, it can't be too hard.  A flat needle file, a couple of heavy duty rubber bands and a drill that fits the hole for the locator pin.  Just go real slow and keep trying the fit until it is right. ;D  You can do it!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com