Author Topic: New Hallmark Western  (Read 18914 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Hallmark Western
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »
There's some perty bad reviews.
     I found it as RT said, Thursday night 6:00 PDT.  I have it set ta record, and will prolly put it on while I'm doing somethin else.  If it catches ma interest, I'll give it a good watch, if not, I won't have that cheated feelin. 

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
I've been trying to recall where I've see that ranch house before...I know its been used in something that I've seen

Piebiter:

Same here. I wanna say it was used in a Maverick TV movie (The "New Maverick" maybe?) Heck, I dunno, but I agree I've seen it before. Recognized it right off. Just can't be sure about where. :-[
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
Well, the  movie crictics have spoken and they seem to agree with the opinions voiced in this forum as to the lackluster of the movie. I had hoped that Kim Coates (Butler in Open Range) would help carry this one, but C.Thomas Howell was too lightweight in his role among other things. As I posted earlier I liked it for the most part, but it does have it's flaws as many of you have pointed out. However, I think with better casting it could have worked.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:10:50 AM »

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »
Piebiter:

Same here. I wanna say it was used in a Maverick TV movie (The "New Maverick" maybe?) Heck, I dunno, but I agree I've seen it before. Recognized it right off. Just can't be sure about where. :-[

Well, if you watched the movie on Hallmark just prior to “A Gunfighter’s Pledge”, (Avenging Angel 2007, with Kevin Sorbo), it was the bad guys ranch in that movie.  It was the nice Spanish homesteader’s place in The Gunfighters Pledge.  Irish Dave, it was also used as T\the Lazy Ace in the brief “Bret Maverick” series in 1981 with James Garner.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 06:22:10 PM »
'81, that was the New Maverick.
     Watched it with my Dad every week and still remember the theme song (sort of)
"Too many dusty trail towns
Too few and far between,
*somethin somethin,*
Sawdust covered floors.."

Prolly recognize that ranch when finaly see this new movie.  There's another one on Hallmark the night before, Wedensday, called "The Last Cowboy" I haven't seen.  The plot looks a little weak, but I'll give it a shot.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 06:48:34 AM »
I had the Hallmark Western on DVR, but I forgot to protect it and it got recorded over. It sounds like I didn't miss much. Maybe I can catch it when they re-run it.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:54 AM »
I had the Hallmark Western on DVR, but I forgot to protect it and it got recorded over. It sounds like I didn't miss much. Maybe I can catch it when they re-run it.

Your machine was trying to tell you something. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
DD, So you're tellin' me that I didn't miss much. I'm down with that.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »
I saw it, and I'll have to say it was a heck of a lot better that watching some "Reality" TV show!   ::) ::) ;D ;D
Sometimes programming can get a little bit sparse, even with satellite!  ::) ::) ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »
I watched it Sunday. It was just OK but not good enough for me to buy it on DVD.

A little slow in parts and some of the acting was sub par IMHO.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 12:02:46 AM »
AS I said on this forum before, sometimes ANY new western is better than NO  new western.  I get ma chance ta see this one tamarrow night.  Gonna go fer it, seen everything else a billion times.  (An if I kill some ratings fer the reality folks it'll be well worth it)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 05:56:18 AM »
I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I would put in my two cents on this one. 

I have to agree that it was much better than reallity tv.  Over all I would say that the movie was OK.  I thought that the movie was kind of anti-climatic.  I don't know what I was expecting, but the ending just seemed to die off.  I will say though that if it comes on again and there is nothing on but reality tv or some sitcoms.  I will probably watch it again.

The ranch and town kind of reminded me of the set they use in Wild West Tech on the Discovery Channel.  But, I don't know if it actually was.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »
OK, I finally sat down an watched it taday.
     After a week of reading reviews here, I have ta say it exceeded my expectations.  No award winner whatsoever, but perty much what I'd expect from Hallmark.  A lot of screwy anomolies in the filming and story--heck, a major character just disappears from the last scene.  I think folks would like ta have known what happened ta that guy, he was kind of important ta the plot :-\  It was like the director said, "oops, outta film, wrap it up".
     Perry seemed ta be trying his Man With No Name impression.  Can't be done.  As I said, it isn't horrible IMHO, but mebbe they should have named it "Hallmark Plains Drifter".

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
Leo,  IMHO you are quite generous in your comments.  Glad you finally watched it.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »
A bad western is better than no western, I give Luke Perry credit for making westerns, not to many actors willing to do that these days, you also have to wonder about the prop man, Perry is left handed and they saddled him with a right handed cross draw holster, not something a "gunfighter" would do intentionally when he need to make a natural fast draw...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Llano County

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:03 AM »
I know this is a late post but I haven't been around much since the movie aired. I thought it was a pretty lame western. It didn't help that I just sat through Avenging Angel with Kevin Sorbo which already wore out the Greedy-Family-Killin'-Cattle-Baron-trying-to-gooble-up-all-the-land-in-the-valley story line. Both movies were produced by Robert Halmi who also produced the Hercules TV series. The movie would have been better if Buck Taylor had a part in it.  ;D
Llano County
Indian Terr. (Oklahoma)
NCOWS No. 1480

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
Beein that it's western month on Hallmark, I've had a chance ta look at several. 
     Most of them don't measure up, but one came on yesterday called "The Outsider"  that wasn't too bad.  Maybe it's cause my wife swore that the lead guy was the spittin image of me in certain scenes.  I didn't agree, but it made watch close.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 07:37:12 AM »
Watched "Maverick, the lazy Ace" this weekend and he bought the same ranch in that one...I knew that I had seen it before.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »
'81, that was the New Maverick.
     Watched it with my Dad every week and still remember the theme song (sort of)
"Too many dusty trail towns
Too few and far between,
*somethin somethin,*
Sawdust covered floors.."

Prolly recognize that ranch when finaly see this new movie.  There's another one on Hallmark the night before, Wedensday, called "The Last Cowboy" I haven't seen.  The plot looks a little weak, but I'll give it a shot.

Leo
Leo, the song was recorded by Ed Bruce and on the album I Write it Down. It's a duet with James Garner. The something, something was "Tired Saloons with sawdust covered floors." Yeah, it was a neat song.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
Thanks, now I have it stuck in my head.  It was a good song.

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com