Author Topic: Soon to be 1860 henry owner  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Deadguy

• Top Active Citizen
    • BP Stuff, LLC
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Soon to be 1860 henry owner
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »
Well, I've decided to get an 1860 henry, going to be .45 LC because I already load for that caliber.  Now which one should it be?  My 7 year old stepdaughter says I should get the one with the charcoal blued barrel.  Any reason that I shouldn't follow her advice?
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Soon to be 1860 henry owner
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »
The charcoal blue isn't very hardy.  I have it on my  73 and it rusts very easily and wears off.  It does look nice and if you get a jar of Renaissance wax like museums use it will protect it better than most other choices.

Will Ketchem
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Deadguy

• Top Active Citizen
    • BP Stuff, LLC
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
Were the originals charcoal blued?  Because if they were, then having it wear  and age like the originals did isn't neccesarily a bad thing.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:18:58 PM »

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »
I can't answer if the originals were charcoal blued.  All of my cowboy guns are showing some wear as I use them, as it should be.  Some more than others.  I have two 1873 SAA that have a charcoal bluing and they are wearing much more quickly than anything else.  They look kinda neat that way.  Now my 1866 and my Henry the bluing isn't wearing that quickly, but the brass finish on them is tarnishing rather nicely.  They are both developing a nice patina like they should.  BP residue helps here.  And no I don't plan to polish then up amytime soon. ;D  I like them the way they are.  Better to sneak up on the bad guys with. ;D

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 431
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »

I had a charcoal blue fluted Cyl. 1860 Army.
As the finish aged it did wear thin in some places and overall to a most pleasing brown patina.
I liked it  :)...

You'll like the Henry, I've owned 3 ( I let one an 1980 model in 44-40 get away ) I still have 2 ( a Mil. Model and a Steel Frame model) both in 45 Colt.

You might have a choice in finish , In the white, Browned, Blued & the Charcoal blue... all mine were Blue.
In all the years mounted reenacting with the 80 Model and shooting the other two, the only issue was a bent magazine spring on the 44-40 and that was my fault.
I hung it up on a branch dismounting.

Enjoy it  ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com