Author Topic: New Carrico rig arrived!  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Carrico rig arrived!
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
Man, am I pleased!  A big public thank you to David.

For you new folks getting started like me, it can be kinda unnerving buying stuff sight unseen.  It's even worse if you're a complete greenhorn suburbanite like I am.  I read the recommendations of others here, and you should too.  But I gotta tell ya, this guy you can feel comfortable with.  Be patient.  It's worth the wait. http://carricoleather.com.

And for all you supporters and enthusiasts here at CASCity that have helped me along with my first revolver purchase, your leather referrals, and authenticity insights, thanks to all y'all too.

I decided to go with a mix & match; didn't want identical holsters.  I may "age" the Slim Jim.  Tie it to the bumper?  They're just so nice as they are though...  The Slim Jim works fine as RH strong side (something I wondered about after I ordered), an important consideration for when I go to the bp range down in Lodi to shoot musket & my 60 Army c&b.  No cartridge shooting allowed there.  The double loop is for the new Cimarron I got recently.  They fit snug, and the belt is within a quarter inch of being custom fit.  And it's lined.

Smells good too.

And, nobody told me how they'd sound!  That was icing on the cake.

Yippie!

Wish I could take a decent pic (Curley???), but I just gotta post somethin'.  You get the idea.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New Carrico rig arrived!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:59:23 PM »
Yeehaw!  So glad that you are happy with your purchase.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »
 Howdy BP

Will Pal , I can see why you're so happy, I don't think anyone could have made you a better rig, than this one made by David Carrico, he really went all out for you, Well done David, I tip my hat to you Pard, I know how long you have been waiting for this day BP so it just goe's to show you it pays to be patient , and all good things take time, you must feel like a kid on Christmas morning, that's great pard, enjoy   ;) :D ;D ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:57:19 AM »

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
Good  deal, and some folks say they can spot a "tenderfoot" by the way his leather squeaks, but I have always loved the smell and the creak of good leather....

been walkin around the house a bit have ya????????

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »
you must feel like a kid on Christmas morning, that's great pard, enjoy   ;) :D ;D ::) :o 8)

You know it!!!  ;D

curley

You know it!!!  ;D 

Hey, wait a sec.  Me thinks this is striking some kind of familiar note with everybody...  ;)

BP

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 10:17:29 PM »
You know it!!!  ;D

You know it!!!  ;D 

Hey, wait a sec.  Me thinks this is striking some kind of familiar note with everybody...  ;)

BP

You know it !!!!  ;) :D ;D 8) ::)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:47:05 PM »
 :o ;D ;D ;D  What tEN wOLVES said! :o ;) ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:15:59 AM »
Very nice BP.  I have a similar rig from David.  Are the holsters lined.  I opted not to get mine lined and I think next time I will probably go with lining.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:35:12 AM »
Outstanding, BP!

I think you'd want to tie the slim jim to the buckboard for authenticity's sake. :P

Only thing I'd suggest. if you haven't done this already, is to wrap your irons in plastic bags, dip each holster into a sink full of warm water for a few seconds, then put the respective iron into each holster and work the leather into and around all the contours and recesses of each revolver to mold the holster to each one.
Pull them out of their holsters and let dry, and they'll be custom fit to hold each revolver securely and look like they've 'lived' in each holster for a long time. At the same time you can flair the lip of the throat outward gently to open the throat up in order to aid in reholstering.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 07:37:27 AM »
Very nice rig...congratulations. I've got one on order myself from a different maker and I'm on pins and needles waiting to see it.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 05:55:43 PM »
River City John

that is one of the reasons I get my leather from RedDog. All my holsters are molded to fit the guns I specify. (The Slim Jims I got for the Scout rig holds the Remingtons like a fine glove.) and the lips are flaired

Curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 02:01:16 PM »
Very nice BP.  I have a similar rig from David.  Are the holsters lined.  I opted not to get mine lined and I think next time I will probably go with lining.

No, just the belt is.  I didn't really give it any thought regarding the holsters.  I may go lined next time as well.  Heck, I just bought my very first holster and already am thinkin' 'bout the next one...  ;D ;D ;D

BP

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »

Almost forgot and went outside to mow the lawn.  :-[   Scandal in suburbia! ;D

BP

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Outstanding, BP!

I think you'd want to tie the slim jim to the buckboard for authenticity's sake. :P

Been thinkin' bout a mini buckboard design for the gun cart I know I'll need after the long guns are acquired.  In the meantime, how 'bout tying it to the dash of my '98 Chrysler?  For my commute, to stay in the spirit.  Ammo in the trunk, that'd be legal here in the Buckeye state.  I think...

Only thing I'd suggest. if you haven't done this already, is to wrap your irons in plastic bags, dip each holster into a sink full of warm water for a few seconds, then put the respective iron into each holster and work the leather into and around all the contours and recesses of each revolver to mold the holster to each one.
Pull them out of their holsters and let dry, and they'll be custom fit to hold each revolver securely and look like they've 'lived' in each holster for a long time. At the same time you can flair the lip of the throat outward gently to open the throat up in order to aid in reholstering.

RCJ

Been thinkin' about that, but I'm just not that anxious to dunk $50 into warm water, though I don't doubt at all that this will do the trick.

For me, I don't like the look of the form fitted holsters that are often seen advertised, can practically see whether the cylinders are fluted or not.  I don't like to see that much form fitting in leather.  As pretty as the guns are, they ain't women.  I doubt that the technique you describe results in that look.  But I over torque everything I tighten and I could easily mess up the simplest of tasks, just cuz I wouldn't leave well enough alone.

Is this what all my customers at my general store would have to do, dunk 'em in water, or would they just let 'em wear in over time?

For now, I am keeping my revolvers in their holsters, each wrapped in refrigerator bags.  Now I'm paranoid about residue from the bags transferring onto the blued barrels.

I better do some shootin' and settle down...

BP

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »
Very nice rig...congratulations. I've got one on order myself from a different maker and I'm on pins and needles waiting to see it.

Please post a pic when it does.  I haven't been so crazy about lookin' at pics of stuff in years.

BP

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
Yeah, if people can read the barrel markings impressed in the molded leather I'd say they were a bit over-molded. . . . :P

As you say it will happen somewhat naturally over time. You could speed up the same effect by working your thumbs around the revolver as it is holstered while dry, perhaps after you hit it with some leather conditioner. All you're doing is picking out the outline of the revolver and easing the fit around the high points.

(I may be misreading your post but I would discourage storing shootin' irons in plastic in their holsters for any period of time, even though you're not wet molding them.)

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Nope, you weren't misreadin'.  I take them out as soon as I walk in the door after life on the cube farm.  After I kiss the missus and daughter. 

I was gonna change from the plastic bags over to an old undershirt.  Figured there'd be no bleed or residue from old cotton.

I have started the massaging technique.  It's a stress reliever and heck, it just feels good.  :P :-[

The Slim Jim for the 60 Army is not as tight a fit as the double loop for the SAA clone.  May be the nature of the design; they are not identical holsters.

They sure are nice...

BP

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
Just fiddlin' with the camera.  They're just not clear after compressing to <100kb.   >:( 

But...

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
Very nice!
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »
Beau........ti.......ful.   Usual ElPaso quality. ;D